Carvin vintage 16, Peavey classic 20, Fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin vintage 16, Peavey classic 20, Fenders

I was at a used gear store during lunch playing a peavey classic 20 reloaded with groove tubes and a jensen speaker that sounded really good the other day. I put a ds1 in front of it from the display and it still sounded really good. I was going to buy it since it was priced very reasonable and that place takes trades. So I was talking to the sales guy about it and they were willing to take a guitar I don't want anymore on trade for it - which means the amp would pass the wife test [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and I went Great! I told him I would go get it after work and come make the trade. In my mind it's a done deal. So after work I go get it and come back to find out they sold it to some other guy because I didn't put any money on it. I was a little hot since they never mentioned I needed to when we made the deal but either way the amp is gone and now after poking around the net I find out it isn't even made anymore. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

So, getting to the point, after playing this amp I'm thinking a small tube amp like this would be great for playing my pod into and it seems to take pedals really well. I started looking around this week and it looks like there are a couple small tube amps like this on the market now and I think I want to get one. I'm looking for opinions on a couple and hopefully some of you guys have played them also. I'm looking for something small and light that will play at a moderate level clean for jamming with people and isn't more then a few hundred dollars max. I'm willing to go used also. These are the ones I've narrowed it down to so far and what I think of them. I'm opened to any other suggestions you guys have and hopefully you have played these and can add your comments.

Peavey classic 20: I really liked this one but it wasn't stock so I don't know what a stock one sounds like. It had a jensen speaker and groove tube ecc83s in it. It seemed to break up maybe a little too early but I liked the tone. A lot. I might end up just getting one of these used and using a lower gain preamp tube.

Fender Pro Jr: I played a new one of these at a local store and liked the tone but it had a really bad 'hiss' that I couldn't seem to get rid of. Other then that I really liked it.

Fender Blues Jr: I didn't like the tone of this as well as the first two but it was still pretty good and didn't have the hiss of the pro jr and is starting to get close to outside what I want to spend. Although I didn't really care for the gain/dirty tones it had.

Epiphone Valve Jr: The tone was a little dark and it had a hum or noise to it but not nearly as bad as the pro jr. Seemed to break up maybe a little too early.

Carvin Vintage 16: I've never played this one but my one good amp is a X100b which is great and has never given me a problem so I figured I'd check out what they had. Going only on net reviews and sound clips it might not sound as good as the first two I listed but still good and have better quality.

So, any opinions floating around out there? [img]/images/graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: Carvin vintage 16, Peavey classic 20, Fenders

I haven't played the Carvin, but on paper I like the fact that the reverb is tube driven. Most if not all other amps in this class that have reverb have solid state driven reverb.

Comment

Since Carvin has a 10 day trial period, get it and see how you like it. They don't give you a hassle on returns.

I've played the Vintage 16 and I am really liked it. I'm bad at discribing tone, so I'll spare you.

Comment

Bummer, the trial period when I got my first one was 30 days but I guess 10 is still long enough. Does the tube driven reverb make a difference in the sound? I Don't know if I have ever heard one.

Comment

Have you tried the Crate V series?
          I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Nope, I didn't know about those either. I just checked out their website and the v58 and v1512 look very promising. Have you played either of those and if so how did they sound? I can probably check those out at the local guitar center.

Comment

The reverb was very full. I recall that when it was turned on full, it wasn't that dramatic. Basically the control didn't seem that sensitive. It sounded very nice though. It may be 30 days for amps, but for guitars it is 10. Of course, I might be making that up.

Comment

Working...
              X