Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quality of SKB rack

Hey there,
    I own a 12-space SKB rack...and I've always thought about selling it and buying an ATA or Anvil rack case. Just like the SKB style Jackson guitar cases, I feel like the plastic isn't as durable or strong as the ATA road cases. Is it worth buying a new rack and guitar case, or are the SKB style racks and cases worthy of light road use? Basically I'm not touring or anything, I'm just a nut about keeping my stuff safe.

Thanks a lot,
    Nick

Re: Quality of SKB rack

I've never liked them and sold the one I had. But, if they aren't holding anything heavy (they deform under a load) and you are just using them to hold light stuff under light use, they should be just fine.

I personally prefer Anvil, Calzone etc...

Comment

That's what I was worried about: it feels as though it would deform...I mean, I've got the triaxis, the 50/50...and I plan on adding a few other things, which I think would add a significant weight to the rack. I suppose an Anvil rack it is, then...

Thanks,
      Nick

Comment

If you are touring then get an Anvil. If you are gigging locally and you carry your own gear, I think an SKB is just fine. The thing that sucks about a heavy duty road case is the weight. I had an Anvil case for my Mesa Tremoverb head and it took 2 people to carry just the head in the case. Even my Vetta head in a cheap roadcase is heavy as hell.

Comment

yeah, I was looking, I think the larger racks are almost as heavy as a 4x12 cab. I do almost always carry my own gear, I just feel that sometimes the SKB isn't the right material to be housing thousands of dollars of gear in.

Thanks,
          Nick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            yeah, I was looking, I think the larger racks are almost as heavy as a 4x12 cab. I do almost always carry my own gear, I just feel that sometimes the SKB isn't the right material to be housing thousands of dollars of gear in.

Thanks,
            Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

YOu are 100% correct. If you throw your gear into the back of a truck or you sometimes drop your amps or you have your drunk roadie friends tossing your gear around then go Anvil or Calzone. I carry my own gear and I don't drop my stuff. I have been using SKB and Gator cases for close to 15 years now without a single issue.
            I would guess that a Calzone or Anvil 10 space rack loaded with a tube power amp, preamp, effects processor, tuner and power strip is going to be around 80 lbs. The Anvil case alone weighs around 30lbs. Thats too heavy for me but like I said... if you are really rough on your gear you should spend the extra money and deal with the extra weight and go for a Calzone or Anvil case.

Comment

Awesome, thanks a lot. At least I can put the better rack on the backburner, for now, instead of worrying about it.

Cheers,
              Nick

Comment

I used to have my Marshall EL34 100/100 in an SKB just in my basement, and sitting on the speaker cab, the plastic SKB like deformed and bent after sitting there a while... It would go back into shape once you moved it though. It probably wouldn't have deformed sitting on a flat surface, but sittin on top of the cab it did. But the amp was prolly 50-60 pounds

They're cool for light weight preamps and effects etc. Don't wanna use one for a power amp really myself.

Comment

Yeah, I understand what you mean. I can feel it when I lift it to move it. Generally, though, my rig sits on my basement floor almost year round, or if I get an apartment, I may move it to the apartment during the school year. I'm very tired of having all that great gear sit at home months at a time unused. So then, the only movement it will see is the twice a year move to the apartment, and back home if I so choose. It does a good enough job, I just can't sit on it, or put a lot of weight on top. Just like my guitar case, pretty much.

Cheers,
                  Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X