Heads Vs. Racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads Vs. Racks

What is the advantage of having a rack over a head? I've been looking into starting a rack but I'm not sure if its worth it. Currently I have a Carvin R1000 head and I'm pretty happy with that! But rack set ups have cool lights! haha! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] By the way I'm talking more so about bass racks/gear!

Re: Heads Vs. Racks

Well, you could still keep your head, and create a rack of effects and other things: tuners, power conditioners, equalizers, etc...some custom made racks even have spaces customed to your head, and then a 4 or 6 space rack underneath for the rest of the effects. Some people will argue that heads sound better than separate preamp/power amp rack setups, but it's generally all personal preference.

Regards,
    Nick

Comment

Racks can just be more versatile if you aren't happy with what heads give you. You can get the preamp section YOU want and the power amp section YOU want etc etc...

If you can get the sound you like from a head, be happy! I sure wish I could! Maybe someday...

Comment

String up some Christmas tree lights around the head.

Comment

Gotta go with Cleve on that one - more tonal versatility with a rack.

Then again, you have to assess your particular situation. If you're in a cover band and the guitarists aren't changing between various amp tones and such (i.e. racks or PODs to change the tones for each song or band they're covering), then the versatility of a rack EQ or Preamp with different tones will be overkill if you can do just as well with a few knob turns on your head between songs.

However, if you're a studio player or bouncing from band to band as a fill-in and need a wide range of tones (Jazz, Blues, Country, Rock, Metal, etc etc) then I'd say a rack or BassPOD was the way to go just to make yourself a plug-n-play kinda guy.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I like the rack system better for 2 reasons.
            1. more versatile
            2. much easier to set up live

I have a Vetta HD and I still prefer my Soldano rack system.

Comment

Working...
            X