Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I bought a DIY amp kit... Design it for me? ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I bought a DIY amp kit... Design it for me? ;)

My new future amp

It's simple but I actually have great projects for it. I'll probably upgrade it with a graphic EQ that I'd get from a pedal if I have room for it.
    But mostly I was thinking about building a cabinet for it with a little 8'' speaker and make it a little DIY champ. When I get to know more about amps I'll probably try to make it voice more like a Twin Reverb, maybe add a gain stage. I'll keep it simple, BUT make it more complicated [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] that's how us French people think (and NO I won't give up :laugh2: )

However... If anyone's good with photoshop (or paint? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ), I wouldn't mind some design help, and good suggestions for a 8''. The speaker needs to be decent, not amazing. Same for the cab, should I just use Pine Plywood?

Thanks for ANY suggestions, no matter how silly [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: So I bought a DIY amp kit... Design it for me?

whoa, is that a toroidal transformer?

Comment

...may... be... Er...

Comment

the round guy on the right in this pic: http://www.madamp.de/images/g2_outside_600.jpg

that must be the power transformer, but it's a funky looking one! I wish I could read german [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've heard good things about weber speakers for champs:

there are lots of 8", depending on what sorts of sounds you're going for

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/

(check out the 'signature' and 'vintage' series)

Comment

That's all in some crazy fucking non-English language. All other languages should be banned. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I've built tube amps before (back in 1990 - what were you then pott, 4 years old?), and if you want it to sound good, don't waste your time with an 8", at least that's been my finding.

My first amp was a Gorilla TC-35. I ripped out the SS guts and made it into a tube amp. A Marshall 2203 front end, with a 50C5/35W4 power amp (3 watts max). Sounds awesome through my 1x10" sealed back cab with a Celestion V10, or even thru a free-floating Emence(sp?) 12", but every 8" I've tried sounded like a toy.

If someone can shoot me down and recommend a "big, full sounding" 8", I'm all ears.

Comment

I see... Well I may just go for a 10 then! Thanks for the tip.
              It's not a priority as basically, the AOR has a speaker plug. I could plug the speaker into an A/B box and use both amps [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] But yeah it'd be nice to turn the G2 into a little practice amp with low voltage to use with pedals.

Comment

And here's an English link
                http://www.musikding.de/product_info...roducts_id=795

Comment

pott,

Just one word of advise. You are almost exactly like me when I was your age - tinkering with guitars and amp, but I never sat down, busted my chops and really learned how to play. If I could go back 20 years, I'd tell myself to practise more and learn how to play.

Comment

Eh I'm learning Hunter Killer by Quo Vadis just right now [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And yeah sometimes I feel I should play more. But I can't just practice more than 4 hours a day, it's... weird haha... I play a lot though. Thanks for the tip [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It's also because I want to become a guitar tech or luthier so I try to do as much as I can.

Comment

This might be useful...

>> link <<
                      |My CSG gallery|
                      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I believe Flo (Infernal Death) built one of these kits too. Maybe he will reply to this post.

Comment

Yes i bought one of those kits but it's not the G2. I am using mine with a Mesa Recto 1x12 cab and can't complain. However i don't think i would want anything smaller than a 12" speaker. I haven't done any mods to mine and i don't plan to. It does everything i want it to. For high gain i still got my rectifier. BTW i bought the J5MK1. Was the only kit at that time but i am toying with the idea to buy a A15MK1 in the future. I think those kits are great value for the money and very easy to build.

Flo
                          http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

Working...
                          X