Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Ultra

My search has ended...for now...

I posted a while back asking for info on which amp I should go for. I wanted a tube amp - I'm tired of digital distortion.

I had one drop into my lap. It's a Peavey Ultra 112. A teenager at my church had one that was his dads with whom I used to play with but passed away a couple years ago.

I've got it in my house now for a test drive to see if it's what I'm lookin for. I think I'm gonna go for it. I've been playing it dry, with just what came on the amp. The distortion is good but I'm gonna have to run an EQ in the FX loop to fine tune it. Maybe Switch to a Celestion.

I had been using a GT6 for all my amp sounds and FXs into a Marshall MG (solid state). But now I'm gonna use it for just FX in the FX loop. I could access some stomp boxes as well that way. There are a multitude of effects in it.

Now What about the tubes it has 4 12AX7 tubes in the preamp section and 2 6L6 power amp tubes. Is there a better combination? I don't know that much about tubes.

bob

Re: Peavey Ultra

I love Peavey stuff.
    I have the XXL, which is a great amp... and if you saw the thread about the Triple XXX combos being cleared out at Musicians Friend, you'll see that I splurged on one of those [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know a whole lot about tubes so I can't help you there-- the one tube amp I owned before was nice but didn't have the heavy metal punch I wanted, which is why I went the SS route at the time...

Anyway buddy of mine has the Ultra head and from what playing I have heard him do through it, it was just sweet heavy metal action at its finest! Good luck with that amp, and may Peavey rock on!

Comment

shredhed,

I currently have a Peavey Ultra Plus head, bought new back in '98. All I can say is take your time with the eq controls - there are a lot of tones in there. The eq in the fx loop is a good idea too. As far as tubes go, I like JJ 6L6's and 12AX7's in mine - sounds pretty damn good to me. Good luck with it!

Comment

Peavey Ultra's are fine all around amps.

Comment

I have a minty Peavey Ultra 112 and have a Celestion G12T-75 in it, much better than the Peavey speaker. I use high gain 12AX7`s(3)-1 blanced 12AX7-2 high gain 6L6`s, all JJ. I play it with/without a Boss MT-2 pedal and with/without a 4x12. I love it. For the high gain metal I use the Boss MT-2 pedal.The reverb isn`t bad either. I would love to have the head version instead, anyone want to trade? I could use the 100 watts!! Jack.

Comment

Slayer,

+1 on the MT-2! My favorite metal pedal. i've been messing with different settings. Right now I've got the GT6 run through the loop. I can get a ton of combinations this way.

I can run my processor in manual & access all it's effects. Or I can got to clean on the amp and those amp models in the processor sound a thousand times better thru a tube amp tthan a solid st.

You're right about that EQ on the amp. It's a little frustrating. I emailed Peavey and they gave me a link to an Adobe manual. It's only got a few settings.

I don't know anyting about tubes other than that 6L6s are a mainstay. I wonder If L34Ls would work in this amp?

I've got a lot of experimenting to do.

later, bob

Comment

My brother has the combo and it's a smokin' little amp. Some great sounds in there.

Comment

Well I've been messing with it. It sounds great when I use my processor in manual for effects only. But when I try to use preset patches I'm getting a lot of hum and some unwanted interference type sounds. The stomp boxes and amp mods produce a lot of this.

Anyboby out there had this problem before? I tried the 4 cable method but I got no sound that way. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Ya man, this amp isn`t quiet with an MT-2 thru the front end at all. It screams like crazy when you stop playing. Maybe a Noise Suppresor in there somewhere? Jack.

Comment

If you want to use the amp mods, I'd suggest running the GT6 into the fx return, and plug your guitar into the input on the GT6. Thats the cleanest way to do it.

Comment

Well I've settled on running the GT6 in the amps loop. But using the normal in/out of the processor is the only way it works, oh well.

I tried writting a new patch and whoa! It sounded like crap to me. I don't know what happened to my ear. It's like the digital mods don't sound good any more.

So I'm using the amps tube distortion and running the processor in manual for effects only.

Now, what about tubes? I saw an add today for some of those JJs. Are these good? I like the amp, but if it could just sound a little Marshallish. Could a tube change do this?

This my first tube amp and I really don't know anything about tubes.

bob

Comment

https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index...category_id=93

This would be my first choice
                        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

the second one on that link looks like the one. I like VH and JS's tone. Is this something I can do myself?

bob

Comment

Email Bob at eurotubes off that link, he's a really nice guy and can answer any tube related questions, the main thing about tubes is you need to find out if the amp is "set bias" or if it has to adjusted.
                            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Email Bob at eurotubes off that link, he's a really nice guy and can answer any tube related questions, the main thing about tubes is you need to find out if the amp is "set bias" or if it has to adjusted.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. I've emailed Peavey before and they are super quick on responce.

I'll find out and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X