call me paranoid but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• call me paranoid but...

ebay tubes sellers with unmarked tubes in generic boxes? granted some of these guys have great feedback but are they legit? Also, Are Kt88s a drop in replacement for the 6l6s in my peavey vtm60? I got a nice metal sound now, but also want more, which I know the kt88s would accomodate, but would I also lose some nice marshally sound when I roll off the volume on my guitar? Thanks a lot.

Re: call me paranoid but...

[ QUOTE ]
    Are Kt88s a drop in replacement for the 6l6s in my peavey vtm60?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I doubt it.

possibly with some modding though (I know they can be modded for el34s)

edit: they can also be modded for more gain, FJAmods will do that sort of work, I think JerryP, who runs it is a member on this board

Comment

5881 tubes are replacements for 6L6`s bro. Not sure of the differences though? Jack.

Comment

KT88s replace 6550s

Check this link for your first question:

http://www.jacmusic.com/KT88/kt88.htm
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

A KT88 is not a same-family replacement for a 6L6. A 5881 or KT66 are more closely related, but you should probably stick with 6L6s in your amp. KT88s draw something like double the plate current of a 6L6.

Comment

Double the heater current - unless your power tranny is up for the task, you'll blow it by pulling too much current.

Also, the bias range on your amp probably cannot go negative enough to bias a KT88.

Then you could have issues with the impedance of the output tranny.

You won't get more power unless you supply more voltage and current to the KT88's as well.

Comment

If you are after a beefed up 6L6, you can go with a KT66 as a direct replacement. You will definitely need to rebias your amp but you should end up with a more muscular tone as you ratchet up the volume.
              I made this change in a reissue tweed Bassman and I was amazed at the balls it added to that amp.

Comment

Working...
              X