questions about 5150 combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions about 5150 combo

I'm considering an amp upgrade and am looking at the 5150 tube combo 2x12 . the block letter one.

how is the clean channel on these?

how heavy are they to schlep around?

how do you guys who have one like the sound? how versatile is it?

I play everything from full out metal to straight rock to more nuanced clean chorused stuff, and want to find a sick tube 2x12 with all the power and versatility I'd ever need. without spending a fortune. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Re: questions about 5150 combo

Yknow I never heard the world schlep until I had a phone conversation with Sully and he used it, and I still think its a weird word. I borrowed a 5150 combo about 4 years ago for a while from a dude. Theyre heavy to lug around, clean channel isn't great but they sound pretty cool on the dirty channel...I'd save up a little more and try to get a Mesa Rectoverb 2x12 combo.

Comment

They weigh 386 lbs, and they're almost the same size as a 4x12 cabinet.

Comment

Very awesome sound, check out the other Peavey>>Marshall thread, cuz I made a little clip. It's very no bullshit, straightforward amp. Just plug in, tweak, and you're there. But I think one of the most important things about this amp, is to use an eq w/ it. It'll really tighten and balance the tone.

Comment

They are heavy as can be, cleans are okay, but the distortion kills. Absolutely a brutal sounding amp.

BTW, I have a used one for sale. PM if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
          X