Thinking on getting a new cab.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking on getting a new cab.

I have a Marshall 1936 cab (2-12) and I'm finding that it is way to directional for me. There only appears to be 1 sweet spot. sO I'm looking for an other 2-12 cab that's not as tight as my Marshall. I really never go over 50 watts so a smaller wattage cab is fine. It does need to be wide enough to hold my TSL100 head. Would new speakers solve my problem? Maybe some 25watt greenbacks?

Ca anyone recommend a site that I can do some research.

thanks,

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Re: Thinking on getting a new cab.

This should help. http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I have a Marshall 1936 cab (2-12) and I'm finding that it is way to directional for me. There only appears to be 1 sweet spot. sO I'm looking for an other 2-12 cab that's not as tight as my Marshall. I really never go over 50 watts so a smaller wattage cab is fine. It does need to be wide enough to hold my TSL100 head. Would new speakers solve my problem? Maybe some 25watt greenbacks?

Ca anyone recommend a site that I can do some research.

thanks,

joe...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are referring to only one sweet spot meaning you have to stand in a certain spot in order to hear a good tone, well that is right with a closed back cab. Closed back cabs push the music straight forward so off to the sides you do not hear the true tone.

Where open back cabs the music can be pushed in all directions so you can hear the sweet spots on the sides, or in front or around back etc...

With closed back there is more bass, tighter bass and more focused tone, however like said you only hear that sweet tone by standing in one spot. However playing in bars where the cab is mic'ed most of the time only haveone the one sweetspot really does not matter much when it goes through the PA.

So in the long run,

Comment

what he said. that's why i prefer open back cabs. try this first:

remove the back of your cab. buy a piece of plywood. cut it to half the size of the back. mount your jack plate and attach it to the cab. see if you like that better. i used to do that with my marshall 4x12 cabs and i thought it made them 1000 times better.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I use 3 different cabs.
          2 x 12 Randall closed back with 75w Celestions
          2 x 12 open back with 300w Altec Lansing Whiteframes
          1 x 12 Mesa Boogie 3/4 back with 90w Black Shadow

Out of all of them, I prefer the 1 x 12 3/4 back. It throws the widest amount of sound. Go figure.
          Live I use the Randalls stage left and stage right. Spread out they really fill the stage.

Comment

What about they Behringer closed back cabs that have the angled outwards top speakers?
            Any opinions on those?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              What about they Behringer closed back cabs that have the angled outwards top speakers?
              Any opinions on those?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard that exact cabinet several times live and it always sounded good. My only problem with it is how it will hold up over time. Its really inexpensive which many times means trouble down the road with rattles, speaker failures and general construction issues although I haven't heard of any issues. Its just my opinion. With speaker cab's you pretty much get what you pay for. Especially regarding the speakers.

Comment

well, I like the idea of the angled speakers, and I've thought about picking one up and replacing the stocks with V30s, but I thought maybe they were thin sounding and the V30s wouldn't make of a difference.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  well, I like the idea of the angled speakers, and I've thought about picking one up and replacing the stocks with V30s, but I thought maybe they were thin sounding and the V30s wouldn't make of a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buying that cabinet and spending another $300.00 for V30's is a waste of money. Just buy another 2 x 12 and run both cabs spread apart a little.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Buying that cabinet and spending another $300.00 for V30's is a waste of money. Just buy another 2 x 12 and run both cabs spread apart a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would even say, buy a open back cab, put it right no top of the marshall and then you have the best of both worlds, just make sure to Mic the Marshall.

Comment

something else to try is some sort of 'beam-blocker' solution - it's generally the highs that are beamy like you describe, the lows spread much more non-directionally; you can make yourself (or buy, weber makes some: http://www.webervst.com/blocker.html ) something to diffuse the highs out more. I've done this with good success in the past. it evens out the sound quite a bit.

edit: just as a note, I'm not sure what it does in terms of making micing trickier though, I've never done it in a situation where the cab was miced

Comment

huh, that seams like a cool device.

Comment

I have heard mixed reviews on the beam blocker. I have read that it works great for cleans but when you are using high gain it takes away some of the crunch.

Comment

www.portcitymusicsupply.com
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

GB G-flex 212
                              Ported and angled about 10 degrees to the left and right.....
                              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Working...
                              X