Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SANSAMP PSA-1 with a tube power-amp?

Hey,

I am wondering, if anybody has any really bad or really good expiriences with sansamps- PSA i preamp through an all valve power-amp?

As read here on the user revews, some really bad ones where made by people who use them in a combinaton with a valve power-amp?
    On the other hand people say it is the ebst heard through a ss power-amp?

Any comments?

I have a 6100, pretty good, but i kind of miss versatality!
    I really dont need 7 millions sounds, but i hate that the eq section with marshall always sucks! DOES NOT work! YOu knwo what i mean?
    So i am really leaning to get something more versatile, but not 11 different buttons to tweak. I want 4 and does to work properly. I have heard PSA and i liked what i have heard!

Bringing up an old thread here.. I tred a Sansamp PSA-1 today and I must say I was very pleasently surprised.. For a non-tube preamp it absolutely KILLS, IMO. I'm actually concidering trading my Pod PRO for it if the seller is willing.. Cause I only use the Pod as a preamp now anyway, I use a Rocktron Intellipitch for FX, I'm loving that unit bigtime now
    One thing worth pointing out tho: I did NOT see a mid-control, only "high" and "low" or something like thatif I remember correctly..
    So I was wondering if anyone find the absence of this a problem?
    It sounded kickass to my ears anyway, but I'm used to tweaking around with the mids quite a bit.
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

I'm still on the presets and it's been 3 years now. Just an awesome amp!
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

there is a mid control...its called "Punch". basically, the Buzz, Punch, and Crunch controls are you lows, mids, and highs. the Buzz and Punch controls also add or subtract from the gain as well. the Low and High controls are like your Resonance and Presence controls on a 5150.

so yes there is a "mid" control. although turned up rather high it adds a Wah-like midrange to the signal. i like my PSA-1, but i think if you added a nice Parametric EQ inbetween it and the power amp you could add so many more tonal options.

the PSAs are great preamps, that take a little time to get used to IMO. you can download the manual from Tech-21 i believe...it explains a good deal of stuff, including which presets are what
        My metal band Lucian Scott
        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
        Available Now!
        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

I used one for quit some time and enjoyed it quite a bit. Sounded just like Alexi with Sinergy. Wish I hadn't sold it.

I used a Marshall EL34 100-100, a VHT 2150 and a Cerwin Vega Solid state power amp. They all sounded great, with the VHT and the Cerwin Vega being Favs...

Comment

Working...
          X