Best Combo Amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Combo Amp?

I want a new practice amp for the 2006 DK2 I plan to buy this week. I've had enough Crates and I don't really care for my Peavey TransTube 258 EFX anymore.

I'm looking at a Roland Cube 30/60 (everybody who owns one seems to love them) or a Marshall MG 50/30 DFX. I have no experience with Behringer, Randall, Line 6, or Vox but I'm willing to try anything. I appreciate any recommendations.

Re: Best Combo Amp?

That Fender G-DEC is also way cool for a practice amp. It's actually a lot more versatile and useful for a practice amp than the cube 30 (which i own).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

the distortion on those GDEC is really noisy though, and alot more expensive than a cube

Comment

Buy a Korg PX-4 and run it into your current amp or your stereo or whatever. It's badass

Comment

I've got a Marshall MG15CDR and a Line 6 Spider II 30.

I like the tone on the Line 6 better, and it's got four channels as opposed to two on the Marshall. The built in delay on the Line 6 is pretty cool, too. You can set delay time just by pressing a button at the tempo you want.

However, the chorus and reverb on the Line 6 sound really "digital" and thins out the sound, IMHO.

Hope this helps, but the best judge for tone is your own ears, so get over to a music store and jam out on the display models [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

I have 2 MG Marshalls a Crate and a Peavey Ultra Tube (all tube).

All but the Peavey are Solid State. I gotta say go for a tube amp. I couldn't believe the difference. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Small tube combos are a nice way to go. eventually after going thru a few solid state amps almost everyone winds up with a tube amp.
              I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

I have a Marshall MG100DFX and that's really good, I've used it with my Korg AX1500G through and it sounded great.
                www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I have a Marshall MG100DFX and that's really good, I've used it with my Korg AX1500G through and it sounded great.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the 100 watt version of my 50 watt. They are really good amps and don't cost a lot. I wish it had an FX loop tho.

Comment

This might be stupid question, but assuming the 30w 10" class has most of the features of the 50-60w 12" class, is the only real difference going to be max volume? I need this amp for practice in the basement, so a 30w may be loud enough, right? However, if the 50/60w also features heavier distortion, better FX, and so on, I'd pay extra even though I may never need to crank the volume all the way up.

For example: Marshall MG30DFX vs. MG50DFX or Roland Cube 30 vs. Roland Cube 60. Thanks again.

Comment

If you can afford it, when you are talking about solid state, always get the bigger amp. You can always turn the volume down.

Comment

Ive got a Randall RG100sc. its pretty good two gain stages and a nice clean boost option. real spring reverb, FX loop with level controls, i have no complaints with it except that that amp seems kinda bassy so i just use my eq to cut bass a bit and boost the highs.

just go to www.randallamplifiers.com find a dealer and demo one for yourself dude

Comment

depending on how much you want to spend,
                          so far I've been pretty happy with my B-52 At-100 Combo. all tube and it sounds great at vey low volumes as
                          well as cranked, and a sweet clean channel to boot!
                          Lots of different tones available out of this thing.
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

The Peavey 5150 combo sounds great at low volume too. Its super heavy but good for home or the gig.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              The Peavey 5150 combo sounds great at low volume too. Its super heavy but good for home or the gig.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              + 1, that's my other amp and I'm always going back and forth trying to decide which one I like better.
                              these are usually on Ebay for short money too. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Working...
                              X