Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am giving this about another week......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am giving this about another week......

Then this Pod Pro and longboard is going up for sale. I don't see how anybody gets a decent tone with these things without a ton of post-production editing. I have been to the forums, read everything I could...downloaded patches....I am still not impressed. Maybe I was just expecting too much. Maybe I was expecting it to sound as good as the Boss GT-8 which was a mistake. I dunno.
    Another issue I have is the SPDIF volume is so low. I have it cranked up in my audio settings. I have the outputs cranked on the Pod. This thing is in brand new condition. Hell, it still had the price tags on it when I got it ( Got it from the guitar player from Mr.Mister). Use the 1/4" outs and it is louder, but, does not sound as good.

Anyone want to trade for a Mesa Single Rec or 5150? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If anyone has any advice on how to get a decent sound out of it ( aside from the obvious " Sell it and get a real amp " answer). I mean, have had Crates that had more grunt than this thing. I don't expect it to match a Soldano, Mesa or Uber, but, I should be able to get reasonably close.-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Re: I am giving this about another week......

Is it the regular Pod Pro or the Pod XT Pro?

Comment

I use a POD 2.0 with the old pedalboard through a tube poweramp (Laney combo) and I do get some very great tones out of it. It's all subjective for sure, but it's possible. Some tweaking is necessary though.
      I never use any effects though. Just the amp models. And without speaker/cab modeling.

Comment

Here is my take. The Pod Pro sounds good but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the GT8. I don't even think it sounds as good as the GT6.

Comment

i think the heavier distortion sounds better on the pod, the gt6 beats it on everything else.

maybe try turning off the speaker cab emulation would help.

also i found different speakers makes a big difference. traditional guitar amp speakers have a mid range "hump" in the frequencies while modelers use a flat response speaker. this changes the sound dramatically, so maybe changing around the eq would help.

Comment

Well, I have played it through my PC speakers and a PA.....there isnt much difference in the quality. My GT-8 sounded decent even through the PC speakers. It is the Pod Pro.-Lou
            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

yeah, the pod is fine for late night practicing or quickly recording some scratch tracks for songs, but don't even try to use one in a serious situation...imho.

of course, there are bands such as malevolent creation who used a pod 2.0 on one of their studio recordings and got a really sick brutal sound, so go figure....

"also i found different speakers makes a big difference. traditional guitar amp speakers have a mid range "hump" in the frequencies while modelers use a flat response speaker. this changes the sound dramatically, so maybe changing around the eq would help. "
              interesting. imho, all the cabs except for the 410 bassman and the 412 line 6 cab on the pod 2.0 SUCK. especially the vintage 30 and gt75 cab sims sound nothing like the real deal.

the "amps" i tend to use most are the brit hi gain, modern higain, line 6 insane with the gain way down, and sometimes the rectifiers for textures, mostly when doing song demos.

Comment

Try using the Modern High Gain setting for your metal stuff, that was really the only patch I found really worked well as far as metal goes. Rectified required too much post EQing to really sound decent and had a tendency to just have too much fizz.

Send a PM to DumpyWumpy from the forum here. He was posting some of his POD 2.0 clips like a year ago and I thought they sounded awesome so he might know some tips and tricks.

Comment

imho the trick to getting a decent recorded tone using the pod is multi tracking with different amps.....i have an iced earth clip somewhere on my HD which was quite close to the original i might say, and i used something like 8 tracks, 2 modern higain, 1 recto, one brit higain...per side. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  of course, for live use that won't work.
                  actually, i think it's amazing how much of a difference the cab and poweramp choice makes. once i - briefly [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] - tried the pod through my jcm800's fx return, and it sounded like total shit [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . on the other hand, a band i know well used to use flextone I and II heads live (which is pretty much the pod 2.0 in a head format), and always sounded fine...nothing to cream your pants over, but surely decent. nowadays they're using hd147 heads, i wonder how these sound in contrast to the flextone heads...

Comment

Lou!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

wassup man...you'll be kickn' that thing in the ass in a week.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

my prediction..

Just thinkin'..

Take care man.. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Bill
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Do you use Line 6 edit or Soundiver? I found many great patches online available for download at the Institute of Noise and the Line 6 website.

Comment

i agree with the jg, the i-o-n has alot of cool patches. i also agree with fragle that mixing 2 amps on the same track sounds much better. i had a pod2.0, a hd147 and finally a vetta. playing the vetta with it's 2 amps at once is an awesome experience.

Comment

Yup, I got their patches, but, they sound like total ass. Since digital PC speakers are suposed to be a flat response ( or awfully close to it ), I shouldn't have too much of an issue. Again, I played it through a PA with 4 crowd monitors and 4 stage monitors and it did not sound any different than playing it through my PC.....just louder. I guess what I am saying is, for clean to 80's type stuff with distortion, it does a great job. As for a flat out brutal distortion and balls.....this thing is a eunuch. I think I am just expecting too much out of something so little.-Lou

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Yup, I got their patches, but, they sound like total ass. Since digital PC speakers are suposed to be a flat response ( or awfully close to it ), I shouldn't have too much of an issue. Again, I played it through a PA with 4 crowd monitors and 4 stage monitors and it did not sound any different than playing it through my PC.....just louder. I guess what I am saying is, for clean to 80's type stuff with distortion, it does a great job. As for a flat out brutal distortion and balls.....this thing is a eunuch. I think I am just expecting too much out of something so little.-Lou

[/ QUOTE ]

Lou, you are 100% correct. For all out brutal distortion and balls you need tubes. Lots of them.

Comment

Working...
                            X