Rivera Knucklehead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivera Knucklehead

I'd like to get reviews on this amp ... especially the one with 6l6 tubes. I heard they make both 6l6 and el34 tube amps, I don't know much about that company.

Is there much of a difference between the older and the newer version ?

Re: Rivera Knucklehead

Rivera is a top notch amp manufacturer with IMHO the best custoer service in the industry. On any given day you can grab the phone and talk to Paul Rivera Sr. or Jr. and get all your qustions ansewred and then some.

Original Knuckleheads are a two channel JCM800 type of an amp with a shimmering clean channel. No Verb and loud aas all hell.

They offered a modded K with a touch more gain on the lead channel.

The next model was the Knucklehead Reverb model available with EL-34 & 6L6 and 100W and 50W versions. Three channels, Verb and all kinds of bells and whistles. A lot more gain than the original Ks. A sweet amp and more of my favorites.

The next model was the Knucklehead 2. Two channel high gainer, no Verb. Never played it but it is supposed be cool.

The new model is the new Knucklehead TRE, two channel, no Verb. Again it is supposed to be a high gainer, two channel and no Verb. Saw one the other day but could not crank it.

Hope this helps.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

do you know what tubes work best in the amp ? or if they both work fine

and what pickups would best also for this amp ? ... I have a culprit with a mahogany set neck

Comment

Both tubes work fine with the amp. Of course you have to order the one as Rivera uses different transformers for each tube set.

I had the KR-55 (high gain mod) with EL-34 and now have the KHR-55 with EL-34. EL-34 happen to be my choice for the Marshallish tone thing.
        However some people swear by 6L6s. A matter of taste and preference.
        Call Paul Sr. he will guide you a super nice guy and a better one you will no find.

Comment

i have been a rivera user since 1990. one word of caution about the KHR amps...they are OBSCENELY LOUD!!!! i had a 100 KHR with 6L6 tubes for a month or so. it was too loud with the master on "2"!!!

i would not recommend that particular rivera unless you can have a LOUD amp.

joe pretty much covered the difference between the old and new KH amps.

he is also correct about Paul Rivera Sr. he used to sell me cabs direct when there wasn't a dealer local to me. he has ALWAYS treated me like an endorser and has NEVER denied me time on the phone when i have had questions with my amps.

he even personally did some work on my first M100 back in the early 90's. class act company and a stand up guy. there is a reason i LOVE dealing with them and using their amps!!
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

MD, I had several conversations with Paul Sr. on the KHR since I had one of the first 20 ever made.
            Paul recommended that I use the fx loop as a master vol and dive the channels to my liking. I've been doing it for 4 years now and love it.

But you are absolutely right, all Rivera amps are brutally loud. Something to be said for stout transformers and very efficient design.

Comment

oh yeah...they are loud. one of the things i like about my M100 and S120 is that they aren't too loud. i can play with the masters around 3 in my house and it's loud but it doesn't piss of my wife.

yeah, when i still lived at home and had an M100 half stack in my bedroom, the efx loop was the master!!! i forgot all aobut that.... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

can anybody compare these 3 amps: Knucklehead, VHT Pitbull CL and Framus Cobra

Comment

or compare the Knucklehead to a Krank maybe ?

Comment

krank to a knucklehead [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    would you bring a knife to a shootout?

I've never played a Rivera myself but when I saw Eric Sardinas open up for Steve Vai, he had an awesome tone from his Rivera, I talked to him after the show and he said it was a customized Knucklehead.

Comment

Welll I've had a kr100 6l6 version for about a year now, and it is everything I've wanted and them some!! I mostly play metal through it though! I will say that it does lack some in the presence area! But I love tons presence though! Most amps don't have what I need in presence anyway!! It's fairly complicated though!! It took me a while to figure all that you can do with it!! It seems endless!! I also use a Rivera 4x12 cab w/ vintage 30's with it! It seems like a great match! As far as it being to loud? I live in the woods, so that doesnt effect me much! But volume is adjustable, and the wattage is as well!! I put it up with my buddies 300 watt mode 4, and it couldn't even compete!! He wants one now!! I haven't meesed with channel 2 much, but channel one is the cleanest/sweetest I've heard!! I'm planning on getting the 500w sub 2 cabinet to go with it when they start'em up again in Sept as well!! Can't wait to match them up!! I HIGHLY recommend it!! Do it dude!!!!
                      I love admins!

Comment

Dude if you add the sub to the KHR, the combination is a destroyer.
                        I run the Loslobottom SUB1 with my KHR55 and a Marshall 1936 2X12 and ohhh my goodness....

Comment

I've never tried the sub 1, only the sub 2, and it blew my fucking mind!! Damn shame I gotta wait til Sept. til they start making them again!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          I love admins!

Comment

what pickups are you guys using by the way ?

Comment

EMG 81's
                              I love admins!

Comment

Working...
                              X