gimme some advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gimme some advice please

ok this is the deal....i've been thinking about the framus cobra for quite a while now. although i'm still GASing for a recto, the framus seems to be everything i need and more. i REALLY like the idea of having 3 independent channels, plus the fact that ch 2 is supposed to be like a marshall on steroids with some more lower mid focus, sounds VERY interesting to say the least. besides, i'm kinda figuring it could *somewhat* give me that recto chugga chugga tone i hear in records such as nevermore's dead heart in a dead world, but also the more midrangey tone i need for playing live and with a band, in the exodus-tempo of the damned ballpark tonewise

the thing is....the goddamn amp is EXPENSIVE. and super rare on ebay. i'm not sure whether i should wait and get one off ebay so i can resell without any considerable loss it in case it doesn't suit me...

...OR if i should buy it new, and use the 14 day money back thing the store is offering....of course, this way i'd have to shell out the big $$$ for it in the first place [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    btw, a new one is 1700 euro, used it tends to go for slightly over 1k.

any thoughts?

ps: YES i still like my 5150, however i'm an amp whore [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: gimme some advice please

Buy a Rectifier. If you want lots of tonal options get a Dual or Triple Rectifier. Better yet, for the money you will spend on a Cobra you could probably get a used Roadking. That should take care of your Rectifier GAS.

Comment

I'd love to try a cobra; I've heard so many good things about them, and lots of good clips, but never been in the same room with one.

I think the 2 comparisons I hear most often is 'thick like a 5150 (but without the fizz)' and 'like a recto, but tighter and less buzzy'; so it sounds like something you'd probably dig!

Comment

" think the 2 comparisons I hear most often is 'thick like a 5150 (but without the fizz)' and 'like a recto, but tighter and less buzzy'; so it sounds like something you'd probably dig! "
        exactly, that's the very reason why i'm considering the amp.

"Buy a Rectifier. If you want lots of tonal options get a Dual or Triple Rectifier. Better yet, for the money you will spend on a Cobra you could probably get a used Roadking. "
        not in this part of the world [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] a used 2ch recto is around 1200 euro...a NEW 3ch dual recto retails at 2900 euro, and a roadking is around 4k i think....
        i'm not really after lotsa tonal options...i just need two (but totally independent) tones....heavy rhythm and lead.
        the thing is, as i already said in the stiletto thread, my other guitar player is using a marshall....i'm afraid a recto just won't cut it (literally) even though i'd likely love the sound when playing without a band (or better said without the other guitar player).....i guess the framus' extra mids come in handy here. that's pretty much why i like my 5150. it's somewhat similar to the marshall midrange grindy sound, but heavier...more chug. i can live with marshall style gain levels, but i need a thick sound, i just hate the thin nasal randy rhoads kinda sound (even though it can literally slice through any mix)

Comment

I have a Cobra. I had a Recto. I hated the Recto. The Cobra sounds nothing like a Recto but sounds like what I WANTED my Recto to sound like.

Comment

Uber!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Bill I was THIS close to getting the Uber and Uberkab. But I went for the Cobra because it was more versatile. The Uber is cool though.

Comment

One of those Randall MTS heads might do it for ya too. If you can take advantage of the x day money back on certain sites it might be a good thing to try. They've got modules exactly what (I) think your looking for (tone is different to each, so this is my best guess). For a thick rhythm tone, the 1086, JTM, SL+, Ultra XL or hell even the XTC or Rectified. They have the cutting lead modules like Ultra and Ultra Lead too. You can also mod the boards to tighten up the gain if you like. I push the Randall stuff just because I honestly think they kick ass, it's something you've gotta hear for yourself (or try). Other than the Randall stuff, I'd just save for the Cobra. I find that when you try to find an alternative your never really 100% happy because you know you just "settled". Take advantage of that x day money back thing and see what happens

Comment

well, tomorrow i'll play a gig using my 5150 head....first time i'll ever use it live.
                  as of right now, the 5150 is pretty much all i need, because right now i'm only playing rhythm, but i'll start playing leads next year when the new record is released, and then a independent 2nd channel will come in VERY handy.
                  bottom line is that right now i don't need another amp...hell, i still have my 2210 which haven't used for months [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] next year however i will need another one i think....i could handle it with the 5150 by sticking an EQ in the loop for leads, but i HATE outboard processing....all i use is a clean boost and a tuner, nothing else. i'm only considering the recto because i've always wanted to own one, because it sounds great on my fave records.
                  i *think* the framus will suit me better because apparently it's a better lead amp which after all is what i'll need next year, but on the contrary the recto is a classic just like my 2210 is...
                  i HATE amps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

edit: btw, in case i didn't really make that point stand out clearly...i'm NOT looking for an amp that's all about sweet lead tone. my 2210 is exactly that, but let's face it, who can actually use a 2 amp setup for an average club gig. thus, i want to keep that asskicking heavy and clear rhythm sound, but also a decent lead tone.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    well, tomorrow i'll play a gig using my 5150 head....first time i'll ever use it live.
                    as of right now, the 5150 is pretty much all i need, because right now i'm only playing rhythm, but i'll start playing leads next year when the new record is released, and then a independent 2nd channel will come in VERY handy.
                    bottom line is that right now i don't need another amp...hell, i still have my 2210 which haven't used for months [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] next year however i will need another one i think....i could handle it with the 5150 by sticking an EQ in the loop for leads, but i HATE outboard processing....all i use is a clean boost and a tuner, nothing else. i'm only considering the recto because i've always wanted to own one, because it sounds great on my fave records.
                    i *think* the framus will suit me better because apparently it's a better lead amp which after all is what i'll need next year, but on the contrary the recto is a classic just like my 2210 is...
                    i HATE amps [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

An EQ or a clean boost pedal would not be considered outboard processing. Also, your 5150 loop is very stomp box friendly. Throwing a Boss GE-7 in the loop for solo boost is a great idea with a 5150. I recommend it highly. You don't even have to run the 2 cables out to the stage. You can leave the GE-7 sitting on top of the amp and use the Peavey footswitch to turn the loop on and off. Whats cooler than that? I'll tell you.. NOTHING.

Comment

ok, guys, thread resurrection.
                      i got the opportunity to buy a framus cobra (incl. FS) for 1300 euro. street price is, as i said above, 1700 euro. the cobra in question is new from an authorized framus dealer (and is only 30 miles away from here, i.e. local pickup) which also means 2 weeks money back and 2 years warranty, but it was a demo model and therefore got "some minor scratches on the faceplate" which doesn't really bother me (in case that's really the only reason for the discount) as these won't be the last scratches....road life is tough on gear i do however assume that the tubes are rather fucked due to the demo job, although the dealer did not say anything like that.

whaddaya think? should i give in to my GAS, or stick to my old trusty 5150 (which sounds great live&loud btw)? the thing that got me thinking is that this might be an opportunity to buy a brand new cobra for only like 100 euro more than the normal used ebay price, and as a consequence i might be able to sell it @ the bay for only slightly less than what i paid for it in the first place.

Comment

Go for it, Fragle-agle!

Nice thread title BTW! :ROTF:

ALSO! GRAVEWORM TOURING USA this SUMMER!!!!!! Ka-blooey!!!
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

bah....so what. i've got another thing comin'

Comment

Working...
                          X