Review of my new Line 6 Spider II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of my new Line 6 Spider II

Well my line 6 Spider II finally came the other day.

I purchased the 112 model not because I really needed 75 watts of power for a small apartment practice amp but because I was adament that a 12" would sound more realistic than the smaller amps 10" speaker.

First impressions of the Marshall like tones are pretty good indeed! The gain is not over the top but rather just like a standard JCM 800.

The tone controls really help to adjust the sounds and unlike some amps they actually have an effect on your tone. Boosting the mids of the Marshall tones really brought the amp to life.

The clean tones with just a touch of chorus and delay really nailed a good Roland sound. Very 80's clean tones if you will.

The Fender Champ tones are so really spot on that it's downright spooky. With a bit of slap back delay I would swear that I was using my now sold Silverface Champ!

The delay is pretty decent but the chorus and flange less so. Digital is a term that comes to mind when I used them. Not total garbage mind you but no TC 1210 chorus either.

The noise gate is a cool feature though I have yet to really need one at such moderate levels.

Overall a great amp not just in light of how inexpensive they are but for its tones and features as well. I do not see why anyone could not use one of these 75 watt or 150 watt combos for a gig. With the footpedal that I purchased I have everything at my feet.
    Last edited by vklobucar; 11-12-2010, 05:45 PM.

Re: Review of my new Line 6 Spider II

cool!! i am on my way to divorce city also....so all the cool stuff is heading out the door. good to hear about this amp. i may go from killer riveras to a little line 6 pretty soon myself....thanks for the review!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Divorce city is not a pleasant place to live. I went though it in 91' and I actually got to stop going to court in spring of 05'!!! Damn I wish I had that $15,000 back from my lawyers!!! I'll never pop a hot chick with a nice ass while I'm drunk again!

Oh well...... I did get a kick ass son out of the deal. Beware Floridians....... she is in Ft. Myers now! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Keep in mind that I was using a Marshall JMP-1 rig through a 4x12 so I was not ecpecting much with this Spider. Wow!

Was I ever surprised to say the least!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Divorce city is not a pleasant place to live. I went though it in 91' and I actually got to stop going to court in spring of 05'!!! Damn I wish I had that $15,000 back from my lawyers!!! I'll never pop a hot chick with a nice ass while I'm drunk again!

Oh well...... I did get a kick ass son out of the deal. Beware Floridians....... she is in Ft. Myers now! [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have any pics or an address?

Shawn
          Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            cool!! i am on my way to divorce city also....so all the cool stuff is heading out the door. good to hear about this amp. i may go from killer riveras to a little line 6 pretty soon myself....thanks for the review!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

you could always "fake" sell the shit for a couple bucks....then when the divorce is final get back. just use your buddies as a little pawn shop if you will [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

Glad you like it. Alot of amp for the money. Good luck with the other stuff.

Comment

Sounds cool! Which footswitch did you get for it?

Comment

The simple FBV2

Comment

Nice amp choice! They do kick ass for the money don't they? I've got the 2x10. I agree with most everything you said. I was pretty well pleased with the FX sounds, but the flexibility is terrible. One knob to adjust at least three fields? Gimme a break! They did a good job on it though, the FX are good and aren't what I'd call useless.

One part that I found completely useless though was the red Insane sound. WTF? Why? Who the fuck could possibly use this?

As for gigging with it, you'd better have a PA on hand. Mine doesn't do so good cranked up. It's fuckin' killer on small volumes, but man does it fart when it gets up to that 40% region. It hates going to work! I've mic'd it before with decent results. I threw an SM57 in front of it and it seemed to produce it okay. I'm sure there are better microphones for this amp, as the 57 took away a little bit of the character.

Then again, when the other guitarist is using a bandit and a death metal pedal the whole guitar sound will be shit anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] DM pedal good for practicing only. It is not a band-man's pedal!

Comment

hmmm...A great little practice/recording amp for certain..

I bought my boy the 30 watter last Christmas...I play it everday..just about.

But It goes well beyond the gain of a JCM 800, on the "insane" channel ..I'd say 5150/Recto territory easy...I can do the same things on that little amp when "practicing" that I can do on my dimed Uberschall when I'm playing for keeps....it has enough gain on tap for anything I need..

I play death/thrash metal..ummm..that's about it.

I never tried those "other" three channels...so, you say they are pretty clean ehh...I'll take your word for it.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'm looking at the new AMS catalog and they have a 75W mono head for $249.99 or a 150W stereo head for $399.99. Seems they might be a bargain if they use some of the better Line6 models. I know they don't compare to the Vetta, but how much bang for less than 25% of the bucks is my question?

I see the channel-switching pedal is $75 though! That sucks a little. May as well get the FBV Express for $25 more and have tap tempo and volume/wah, so that's $100 more to fully utilize the amp. Still, if the sounds are good that's a lot of bang for the buck.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I got the 30wt with one 12" celestion for 2 bills out the door..it's a cool amp for the dough.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I too bought the 30watt version.

I agree with Ninja that the chorus/flange and the reverb sound "digital" and thin.

However, it's a great little amp, especially for the $175 I paid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                            Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              One part that I found completely useless though was the red Insane sound. WTF? Why? Who the fuck could possibly use this?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...C3I4VZS5078731
                              Familiar Stranger by Hattie Moore.

(If that link doesnt work, goto www.myspace.com/hattiemoore )

Pwned. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X