SS/ Digital preamp with tube power amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS/ Digital preamp with tube power amps

Well we all know that digital and solid state technology emulates the sound of a preamp tube VERY well. However people always feel the need for power tubes.

How about a working man's digital amp that would work kinda like a simpler POD? A preamp section having the usual Twin, Bassman, AC30, Plexi, JCM800, Dual Rect etc... amp models with a footswitch, all digital, and a power section of say 50W with a built in switch for 5/25/50 for instance?
    I'd be the first to jump on something like this myself. Think of all the extra possibilities. And with digital modelling getting cheaper now... Now I'm a student in marketing so I know that if there was a market, it'd exist, so if anyone can think of a reason why it wouldn't work, hit me.

Re: SS/ Digital preamp with tube power amps

Its called the Atomic Reactor..just add your modeler of choice and go.

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I know. Hence my question. It does work, then why don't people integrate it in a combo? See how well all the 15W tube combos sell?

Comment

Well, I think it is an issue of economics versus demand. I bet it would be pricey to build these hybrids on a large scale basis...and I don't know how high the demand would be.

I would love to try the Reactor though. I am really curious if a tube power section would "warm up" a modeler.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I know. Hence my question. It does work, then why don't people integrate it in a combo? See how well all the 15W tube combos sell?

[/ QUOTE ]
          There have been hybrid amps like that. Some old Peaveys were like that... solid state preamp with tubes in the power section. Pretty much the opposite of the Marshall Valvestate series with just a preamp tube and SS power section.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Its a great idea. The problem is that SS power technology is advancing so rapidly the designers feel that going to a tube power amp section would be taking giant steps backwards. Take for instance the Vetta. It absolutely would not benefit from a tube power amp section. The Vetta sounds like a tube amp, reacts like a tube amp and records like a tube amp.
            It is an interesting concept you bring up. For instance:

A Flextone 1 x 12 combo, 60 watts, 2 EL34's for power and the complete Flextone modeling package. For a cabinet they could design a convertable 1 x 12 that has a removable back to turn it from an open back to a 3/4 back to a fully enclosed cab.

Comment

BAM! Think of all the possibilities. Who here uses 100% of all POD possibilities? I use at the most 6 amp models and no effects whatsoever.
              What would I not give to have a digital preamp in a variable wattage poweramp... *droool*

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                BAM! Think of all the possibilities. Who here uses 100% of all POD possibilities? I use at the most 6 amp models and no effects whatsoever.
                What would I not give to have a digital preamp in a variable wattage poweramp... *droool*

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you bro. Companies have addressed this like Atomic and Randall has their modular MTS system that isn't a modeler but to have a nice small tube powered modeler would be hot shit. They can even do "genre" inspired combo's.
                IE:
                The Flextone Blues
                1 x 12 combo, 60w 2 EL34's, tweed grill, vintage appointments, containing only modeled blues amps.

The Flextone Metal
                2 x 12 combo, 100w, 4 6L6's, metal grill, metal appointments, containing only modeled high gain amps.

The Flextone Boogie
                The Flextone Marshall

Comment

I always wondered why Line6 didn't just model say 4 or 8 amps AMAZINGLY well instead of 72 pretty well. I mean, could you imagine what they could do if they only did a few amps and didn't mess with effects?

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Well we all know that digital and solid state technology emulates the sound of a preamp tube VERY well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwahahahaha... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL @ John! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X