Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effects....can I run them all up front??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects....can I run them all up front??

I know it's best to run my chorus and delay in the effects loop...but here is what I have...guitar>tuner>tone driver>stereo chorus>digidelay>amp. Is it possible to run all of them in the effects loop?? I'm just trying to avoid the hassle of dividing and hooking them up separately. (I mean tuner/tone driver before the amp..and chorus/delay in the loop)..OR.can I run them all in front of the amp?? Thanks in advance for your opinions. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Re: Effects....can I run them all up front??

You certainly can but the chorus and delay are going to sound disgusting compared to the loop.

Comment

The tuner can be used in front or in the loop, the tone driver in front of the amp. I'd also keep the chorus and digital delay in the loop; though, if it sounds decent to you in front of the amp, go for it.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I spent the past three years playing through old amps (`70s Peavey Classic 212 and 410) without effects loops, so I ran everything in front of the amp with no problem. My pedalboard was set up as follows: tuner, distortion/multi-effects (chorus, reverb), EQ, noise gate, digital delay. It sounded great. I recently switched to a Peavey VTM-60 head, and although it has a loop, the loop either isn't working right or just didn't sound good, so I kept using the pedalboard. Sounded awful on the high gain input, but on low gain it sounded just the way it did on the Classics.
        sigpic

Comment

My experience (at least with Marshall's anyway) is that running effects through the loop is overrated. I run them all up front and they sound just fine.

For me, the loop just creates more hassle and potential problems at gigs with the extra cables. I'm doing wah -> OD -> Chorus -> Flanger -> delay into a JCM 800.

Comment

When I'm playing clean I run everything in front but when the dirt comes on I prefer the verb, delay, and chorus in the loop.

Comment

Everything in front of the amp.

To be honest, effects only need to be in the loop when used on OD channels, and considering that I only use Wah and a boost with OD, it doesn't really matter.

Andy!

Comment

Its simple bro... follow the established industry rules..
                Time based effects go in the loop.
                Distortion or overdrive effects go in the loop if you want boost and in front if you want added gain.
                Wahs go in front and are the closest thing to your guitar
                Tuners can go anywhere.
                Chorus pedals (which are also time based) work better in the loop but can be used in front too.
                These rules apply when you are using an overdriven amp.
                If you are playing clean you can put your effects anywhere you want.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  My experience (at least with Marshall's anyway) is that running effects through the loop is overrated. I run them all up front and they sound just fine.

For me, the loop just creates more hassle and potential problems at gigs with the extra cables. I'm doing wah -> OD -> Chorus -> Flanger -> delay into a JCM 800.

[/ QUOTE ]

That does work fine because you aren't using the JCM800 for overdrive, just for power and loudness, maybe some slight power tube and speaker distortion. In fact, pretty much all bands in the 70's and 80's did it that way - nothing wrong with it.

But, if you are using the built-in distortion on a high-gain head like a 5150, Mesa, or DSL/TSL (not using a stomp box for od), you would want to put the time effects in the FX loop for a fatter effect.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That does work fine because you aren't using the JCM800 for overdrive, just for power and loudness, maybe some slight power tube and speaker distortion. In fact, pretty much all bands in the 70's and 80's did it that way - nothing wrong with it.

But, if you are using the built-in distortion on a high-gain head like a 5150, Mesa, or DSL/TSL (not using a stomp box for od), you would want to put the time effects in the FX loop for a fatter effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

It all depends on the amp. There are some amps out there with crappy EFX loops and nothing sounds good in them. JG is right about the right place in "theory" to put them but it still is all about whow the end result sounds.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Its simple bro... follow the established industry rules..
                        Time based effects go in the loop.
                        Distortion or overdrive effects go in the loop if you want boost and in front if you want added gain.
                        Wahs go in front and are the closest thing to your guitar
                        Tuners can go anywhere.
                        Chorus pedals (which are also time based) work better in the loop but can be used in front too.
                        These rules apply when you are using an overdriven amp.
                        If you are playing clean you can put your effects anywhere you want.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        So, seeing as I'm only using the Overdrive as a boost, it all can go in the loop...Ok, got it.
                        Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X