Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall Heads - Help ! Pit-falls anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Heads - Help ! Pit-falls anyone?

OK, in my never ending quest for that old warm tube saturated tone/sound, I have been cking out Marshall heads and am finding my own head is starting to spin in and exorsist fashion....Can anyone tell me what the "pit falls" are in these heads? I am leaning toward 50w rather than the 100w, But would like to know what to "watch out for" and what to "stay away from" when it comes to Used Marshall heads? Help !?

Re: Marshall Heads - Help ! Pit-falls anyone?

Used might be scary unless you are good with electronics, or can afford a good amp tech. I build amps, and I've looked inside my DSL100 and got scared LOL!

Even though the DSL100 widely "hated?" on this forum, I love all of the tones I can get from mine.

What to stay away from? I think the 900 series take the biggest rap as far as Marshalls go tone-wise. The DSL401? combos or late-model combos in general had overheating issues, but you are going for a head so that's not an issue.

I'm sure other amp gear whores will chime in soon enough LOL!

Comment

What type of tones and features are you looking for? Single channel, or multiple channels? High gain, or low? Master Volume, or Non Master? Price range?

Comment

Regarding Marshall tube amps.. its really very simple.
        Ignore the posts on which models are good and which ones suck. Instead.. go with your ears. If you find a Marshall that sounds good to you... thats the one.
        Some guys like the JTM's, the Plexi's, the 800's,900's, DLS, TSL, 2210, 3202, etc... Bottom line is whatever sounds good to your ears. I can assure you that they all sound like Marshall amps.
        The way to narrow down the selection is to figure out what features you have to have.
        How many channels?
        How much gain?
        How many watts?
        Effects loop?
        Master volume?
        Price range.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Ignore the posts on which models are good and which ones suck. Instead.. go with your ears.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good advice for any amp - not just Marshalls. It just might be an issue if you don't have access to these amps. I know I'd love to try a 5150, but they are hard to find. I've came close to buying one online several times but I passed because I didn't like the idea of buying something I've never heard.

Comment

By all means, use your ears, but some Marshalls, regardless of how much you like the tone, have a reputation for reliability issues. Your ears won't be able to tell you that. I'd get some feedback regarding reliability before pulling the trigger on any specific model. Most of the vintage RI models, JCM 800s, handwireds and JMPs have a good reputation, however. Wish I could tell you which the ones to avoid are, but I've only really messed with the vintage / vintage RI models personally.

Comment

I've used a ton of Marshal JMP's, and I never had a single issue with them. They are built to last even though they lack a lot of the bells and whistles that the newer stuff has on them. I have a Laney AOR now that is one of the best amps that I have ever played through. Yeah....... I am very biased. [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Isn`t the 2203 a 100 watter and very versitile? I beleive it has a master volume at least? Jack.

Comment

I have 2JMP 50 watts 1 head & 1 combo they're both about 30 years old and I never had a problem with them . My 100 watt is a 69 super trem top also never a problem.

Comment

I've been gigging with my TSL for about 2 years. In fact, I just recently realize I had my head/cab hookedup incorrect and people are amazed that my system is still working.

joe...
                    www.godwentpunk.com
                    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      What type of tones and features are you looking for? Single channel, or multiple channels? High gain, or low? Master Volume, or Non Master? Price range?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am looking for single channel (I always found two channels a waste (I used to have an old 60's fender bandmanster and an vibrolux). I found that the sound always got "mushy", so I developed a system of using two to four small combo amps for different sounds and blends.

I like "gain" and the "master volume" is another "plus"..RE a "fx loop" - It would be nice, but being an "old timer", I am used to "putting it all in front", so if it does not have one, I won't die! Price? Well, I would love to have a Orange vib..., (the tones take my breath away), but my computer still is not printing those "hundreds" so that they look "passable", sooooo! I am thinking between 4 and 5 bills tops. And being a "collector" at heart, I always prefer "used" to new

Comment

I've used a JCM800 for many years and I am using the TSL122 now. Depending on the features needed you might narrow it down to a specific model. I echo somebody saying that there is no need to listed to all the different opinions, just try it out yourself and see if you like it. I love mine TSL.
                        Alex

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Regarding Marshall tube amps.. its really very simple.
                          Ignore the posts on which models are good and which ones suck. Instead.. go with your ears. If you find a Marshall that sounds good to you... thats the one.
                          Some guys like the JTM's, the Plexi's, the 800's,900's, DLS, TSL, 2210, 3202, etc... Bottom line is whatever sounds good to your ears. I can assure you that they all sound like Marshall amps.
                          The way to narrow down the selection is to figure out what features you have to have.
                          How many channels?
                          How much gain?
                          How many watts?
                          Effects loop?
                          Master volume?
                          Price range.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that you are "right" and that your ears really have to give you the answer....And I understand and accept everyone's "bias's" - I am thinking 50watts, only because I am not playing arenas and have no reason for such power (but LOUD is important). I found an old Laney 100 watter in a local pawnshop...which had great tone, but I hessitated and when I came back to buy it...it was gone! So far, other than the orange rockerverb (both 50 & 100 which are just too expensive for my tastes) - and that pawnshop laney, that I missed, I have played a number of the newer Marshalls (all combos) at the local guitar center and found them to consistantly be closest to what I am looking for....(that old Jeff Beck Truth/Beck ola period of live sound - warm, alittle distorted - but with absolute "presence" - I don't know if that makes any sence)! I don't need all the "bells and whistles" and am toasted on that sterile fender sound.

I guess what I am most interested in is the hearing about what to "look out for" - historic problems (example, for years the Laney's used to consistantly "blow out" tubes, just like the early vox's did - which is a real problem when you want the tubes to be really well "warmed".
                          I have already heard about the 900's regarding tone and reliability issues....What else?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Even though the DSL100 widely "hated?" on this forum, I love all of the tones I can get from mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                            Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The other guitarist in my band has a DSL100 and it sounds great. Much better than the 5150 block letter head he was using.

Comment

Working...
                              X