Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marshall Heads - Help ! Pit-falls anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall Heads - Help ! Pit-falls anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
    The DSL401? combos or late-model combos in general had overheating issues, but you are going for a head so that's not an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in the minority when I say I really like my DSL401 combo. I got lucky I guess and have never had any overheating issues, even when having it on for over 4 hours.

Comment

I had cold soldering for the DC supply rectifier on my TSL122, it manifested itself in that the amp started to fade volume once in a while. This pissed me off, so one day and 97 dollars later the amp was fixed, re-biased and tuned up at the local official Marshall repair shop. 3 years after this, all is working great.

TSL has a useful feature - power reduction mode which takes it down to around 25W. I would not say that the power section continues to sound as good as in full mode, but it iscertainlyy usable and useful.

In general, 50W heads are great. I think this is the best way to go to get both lots of volume and warmer sound.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with 900s. I had a 50 watt combo that I bought new when they came out. It was reliable and sounded great. I wish I still had it, actually.

Also, the 3203 Artist is a great amp. Sounds like a baby 800. I had one of those as well. Kick ass amp with a 4x10 cabinet. Both the 3203 and the 900 combo are in your range. The 3203 does great from barely broken up, to full on '80s type metal distortion. It has a reverb, master and a loop. The 900 is much of the same, but will get even more liquid in the distortion department.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I know a Marshall I'd buy back for what I sold it in a heart beat. 2210 1987 (I believe was the year) 2 Channel reverb, FX loop JCM800 100W head...if only the clean channel didn't suck ass.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I know a Marshall I'd buy back for what I sold it in a heart beat. 2210 1987 (I believe was the year) 2 Channel reverb, FX loop JCM800 100W head...if only the clean channel didn't suck ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

is that the one you sold to jgcable? if so, i own it now. it won't win any beauty contests, but it sounds great! i basically dime the gain, and it makes my balls tingle! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I would go with a JCM800 or JMP. They hold their value, will outlast the newer amps, and I think are more versatile because they take pedals better.

Comment

...and that's the one I sold to Deneb! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Glad to see she's staying somewhere for awhile.

Pete

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is that the one you sold to jgcable? if so, i own it now. it won't win any beauty contests, but it sounds great! i basically dime the gain, and it makes my balls tingle! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

It only goes to one person from you if you ever ditch it!!! MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Comment

It really can vary from amp to amp and year to year, model to model. As far as issues, the only issue you are going to have with a non master amp is volume.. in which case you'll need to attenuate it, mod it, power tube convert it, etc.. If you use a quality attenuator like a Weber, a Marshall SE or a GT SE II you likely will not have any stability problems with transformers frying and the like.

Main thing with the older JMP's IMO is finding the preamp and output tubes styles you like and the plate voltage within the range where you get the tone you want while not putting more stress on the components of the amp.

The older small logo JMP's are really jumping up in value alot. JCM900's are a decent buy right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X