X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Engl Fireball

Any other suggestions?

Carvin Legacy?

I've only got £1000 to spend and I definatley want a halfstack.

Andy!

Comment

Check out the Laney VH100R too it has a good clean and good distortion, plus you can use the boost if necesarry you can also change the tubes for EL34's or 6l6's if you want brittish or US style tones....

I meant to tell you on msn but forgot!

I'm still thinking about getting the VH100R anda cab to go with....

Ozz

Comment

i used to own a gh 50L, which is essentially the drive channel of a vh100r. it's a great amp, especially for the money, but nowhere near the 5150 for death/thrash use. if i played in a more mellow band along the lines of savatage or ozzy, a laney definitely is the way to go if you want a modernized version of the classic marshall sound.

Comment

Which isn't what I want...

We want Thrash metal baby, oh yeah.

Any other suggestions?

Andy!

Comment

ok, i just noticed i wrote total BS [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] forgive my awful grammar - that happens when you have like 5 sites opened at the same time [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

well, it would be very helpful if you told us what kind of a thrash sound you're looking for. as you surely know, the slayer guitar sound is very different from e.g. testament, and the modern thrash/death stuff (e.g. like my band's playing [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) is a whole different beast altogether.

for something along the lines of slayer or exodus, a marshall jcm800 is the way to go imho. if you're shooting for something more modern similar to recent kreator, go get the 5150. i know, cause that's the sound i'm looking for, and so far the 5150 is the best amp i've ever had for that style. for the groovier, more midtempo oriented stuff such as testament, i'd even recommend a recto. just watch your settings.
            imho, ENGLs do NOT do a convincing thrash metal tone period. they're fine for the uber technical death metal stuff like necrophagist, severed savior, or hate eternal, cause those guys need the insane saturation with clarity, but for anything more mellow they're crap imho.
            goddamit, just go get a friggin 5150 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I think I might, the plus version though.

Shame I can afford the matching cab [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Andy!

Comment

Working...
              X