18 watt marshall assembly pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 watt marshall assembly pics

Building this for Zeegler. Thought I'd post some pics, and maybe update the thread as I assemble the amp. Some of you might get a better idea what building an amp entails, and hey, it's free entertainment.

First off, took about a month to get the kit. Ugh. Still waiting on the headshell. Here's a pic of the box o' parts:

Few interesting things about the parts - I've heard people bitch about the quality of parts in the Weber kits. Everything looks to be pretty good to me - I like these caps, he included a mica instead of a ceramic, and the switches are metal. I don't know if it's a change or just parts he had in stock, but hey, I'm not complaining. Other kits in the past have had plastic switches.

Turret board is a little different - it's 'split' on each turret, and the hole is a bit bigger. So far I actually prefer it. Was easier to get several wires into one, and should be easier to wrap wire around the posts.

Here's the board populated. No, it's not 100% marshall layout, but it looks pretty good. The larger caps seem way overrated and large, but they fit ok.

Chassis is a tiny bit rough, but everything fits and once the amp is assembled, it's no big deal. I think I'm missing a few grommets, but no worries, I have a bunch in my parts bin.

I'm taking my time with this - so 2.5 hours into it, and I have checked out all the parts and assembled the turret board. Oh, one small complaint - ALL of the resistors and other board parts were jumbled together in a bag. Took awhile to sort them, but when you build the board you should double check every value anyways.

Pete

Re: 18 watt marshall assembly pics

Looks pretty cool man. Keep us posted on it.

Comment

Yeah man..Pete good job man!

Zeegs..cool man..

18 watts??...ehhh it'll prolly kick major ass!!!

Is it gonna look "vintage"..is this a "re-issue" kinda thing...didn't Marshall make these years ago..even before my time??
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Marshall recently reissued the 18 and 20 watt heads that originally came out in the late 60s - the reissues cost more than a new TSL, and the originals are highly collectible. These aren't metal monsters, but will do plexi style grind at a lower volume, and you can always boost em with a pedal. It will basically look like a small marshall head, without the logo. It has the plexi panels and such.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Pete

Comment

Cool!

I thought so..I heard of these outrageously priced Marshall re-issues...just reading recently.

I know a local dude Dr Z (Mike Z) that makes a 18 wt amp...and they go for some pretty BIG bucks..all his amps do really...and I played them all..I always required a stomp in front of all Z's amps for my kinda of "shred"..the 18 watter was pretty loud..more than I expected...some guys sound AWESOME with them..including Joe Walsh...he was playing one at his shop when I met him...he bought one right there.

Well good luck guys..Pete knows what he's doin..Zeegs should be happy...especially for what these amps actually go for!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeehaw, I'm stoked. It took a while for it to be delivered, but now I see pics of it going together, I'm happy as a pig in shit. I've got my metal amps already, so this one is for straight up rock. I wanted something a little lower in power that I can crank up and make the tubes glow. She's gonna be sweeeeeet!!!
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Pete or Zeegler,

How is the trannie quality? Brand name stuff?

Anyone know of a source of parts for making turret boards? That's all that's stopping my amp building factory LOL!

Back in the bad old days (1990), I made circuit boards with etchant (thought if the big boys make them that way, then that must be the correct way [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]). In fact, I made the first TSL Combo back then. I took a 1979 4140 Marshall Town and Country, ripped out the guts, and put in a Mesa high gain, Marshall 2203 crunch, and a Fender clean. Three sets of tone controls (drilled over/under just like a TSL) and switching presence (bad idea - huge "pop" when switching between one pot and another). Everything was switched with 4PDT relays (noisey, and looked like a rats nest [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) but it worked (and sounded) great! Unfortunatly, I ripped the guts out to making a new and improved version with better switching, and that's where it stands 16 years later.

Comment

Don - transformers look good, but if they sound bad, it's pretty easy to swap out an output tranny. It's amazing how people go nuts over boutique transformers, when the original marshall transformers were just leftover surplus parts - they weren't boutique by any means!

Turret board came with the kit, but I can and have made my own. I have the board material and turrets and tools.

Pete

Comment

Where do you get the stuff to make turret boards?

Re: Trannies, yep your right. Sounding bad is always a subjective thing anyways. A saturated tranny sounds warm, thick and midrangey for blues, but to a metal head, it would suck for lack of bass and high end. For dual EL84s or 6V6's, I've got from small $5 POS trannies up to huge Hammond overrated stuff. No boutique stuff yet.

Comment

www.hoffmanamps.com has the staking tools and the turrets. Board can be found a variety of places - hoffman will cut it to size, or you can go to mcmaster carr and buy sheets of G10 Garolite. If you do, be careful when you cut/drill it, the stuff is bad news to breathe.

Pete

Comment

Cool deal.

Comment

Thanks for sharing...it's nice to get a feel for the nitty gritty of one of the weber kits.

Comment

eww .. I've machined G10 and it sucks ..gets in your pores and shit ... nasty stuff
                          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I hate drilling/cutting G10 also, but it rocks for turret boards. Super stiff, and won't absorb moisture like that crap they used on the old Fender tagboards. I'd bet a G10 turret board will damn near last forever - they are also fire resistant too, which is a good thing inside an amp.

BTW, eyelets (like old fenders) SUCK! Turrets are the way to go. True PTP like Matchless sounds good on paper, but looks like a bird's nest.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              True PTP like Matchless sounds good on paper, but looks like a bird's nest.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              hehe, definetely. I have a true PTP champ(-ish) clone that I bought mostly completed from a guy who started it and never got around to finishing it. It sounds great (_incredible_ when dimed through an extension cab), but damn; it is a MESS on the inside (I thought about trying to clean it up, but since it was nearly done, and I'm lazy and a total hack, I just finished it as is)

hmm.. I might have a guts pic somewhere...

Comment

Working...
                              X