how to get the best out of a 5150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get the best out of a 5150?

I've heard others say that the BBE is mandatory for a 5150. What else can I do to maximize the tonal ability? I've been on the fence about selling it for a very long time. Lately, the new Randall MTS series amps are looking really good. However, I've had the 5150 for so long, it's hard to get rid of. Who's got suggestions on how to make this amp the best it can possibly be?

Re: how to get the best out of a 5150?

put an overdrive pedal (boss sd1 works great for me) set for a clean boost (level cranked, gain almost off, tone to taste) in front of the amp. does wonders imho.
    also, experiment with the crunch channel....try this:
    bright switch off, rhythm channel set to crunch
    gain around 1:00
    bass, resonance, and mids all around 2:00
    treble around 11:00, volume anywhere from 10:00 to noon (loud!), presence off.
    used with a 1960B cab, i get a kickass thrash metal rhythm tone that's VERY close to a marshall jcm800 on steroids.

Comment

5150..BBE 422 in the loop..and the MATCHING 5150 cab!!!!!!

MAYBE a wah or your fave stomp (OD-1/TS-9etc) to make the leads "sing" more..the 5150 lead tone are a tad "dark" and "dead"..Unlike the "shimmer" of a good Marshall.

But I didn't use ANY stomps in the front..nothing but a cord..no stomps...I tried them all..I didn't care for them...I always seem to loose the organic tube tone and a little "girth" that I like about the 5150.

MUCH less FLUB with the matching cab...you can push the gain and resonace much more and with more definition clarity!

I KNOW Fragle never tried the matching cab..and that he is getting by fine with a Celestion cab like John and I used to as well.

But just like my Uber I've been told by good sources that a Uberkab does this amp MUCH more justice than the Marshall 1960B cab that I am getting by with at this time.

So, I should take their opinion to heart since they have tried and owned both!

I should get the Uberkab..even tho I THINK mine sounds great with the Marshall cab..

That makes perfect sense!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've tried the matching, cabinet, but I still prefer a nice Marshall style cabinet with V30's.

I find them unuseable without an OD infront. Muddy, mushy, and buzzy. Maxon OD808 works great for me.

Favorite settings were bas at 6, mids at 3.5-4, highs at 4-4.5. Gain at 4, resonance and presence at 6-7.5, OD settings with gain and level pointing to their respective corners of the OD808, tone parallel with the drive.

Comment

Well to each their own I guess..I didn't like ANY of these suggestions mentioned..believe me..John and I tried them all since the birth of the 5150 ..

so, No thank you very much!

BTW I heard great things about these 5150 mods..John knows the name of the dude..and heard clips that sounds amazing....maybe someone can point you in THAT direction!

I'm just talkin'..out of the box stock 5150..

Happy Tweakin'

Bill Z Bub

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

You mean Jerry Pinelli at FJA mods? Mine was modded by him [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

The best tones I've heard out of 5150's, even recorded, were all with V30's, and most with a boost upfront. When I think 5150 tone, I think Soilwork, new Kreator, Arch Enemy, God Forbid, Evergrey, and The Haunted.

To each his own, though, for sure. I've just heard better tones out of V30's and boost pedals than I've ever heard out of stock cabinets and BBE's.

Comment

Evergrey uses a Tube Screamer and noise gate in frot of their 5150's....

Comment

send it to JerryP!

Comment

Yeah I think that's him..Jerry P!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'd try a 50-100 dollar BBE 422 first..you won't get stuck with it if you don't like since that's the sought after model for guitarist in the know.. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

if you like that...then well you can do both..
                  like I said Celestions work "fine" with the 5150..but the 5150 shelfields are more defined and have more clarity with that head...they are designed and TUNED to THAT head!

I think I want a Uberkab for my Uber for the same reasons..even tho my Marshall 1960B seems to sound "fine" with it at this time.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Rectos sound best with recto cabs..5150 sound best with their cabs and I could only assume the same for the Uber..they were made for each other..literally!

Oh..Marshall heads on Marshall cabs...yeah that's the ticket!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

With everyone here saying use the matching cabs, they're the best, they're probably right, but my 1960 works more than well enough w/ my 5150

Comment

I just throw an MXR 10 EQ into the loop and it really
                      brings the combo alive.
                      Much crisper sounding with it on than with it off.
                      Can make the lead channel much fuller sounding.
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I went with a different direction with my 5150. its still metal as hell, but i prefer a cleaner, fuller sound, as opposed to the traditional 5150 tones a-la The Haunted.

butI just keep the gain down to about 4, lows to 3 or 4, mids and highs both at 6 or 7. resonance is down quite a bit, probably around 3 or 4, presence is probably 5, 6 or 7, i dont remember. lol

and of course i have the 422a.

Comment

"and of course i have the 422a."

AWESOME dude..and what is YOUR opinion on that unit with that head...they're prolly sick of hearing it from me!!

Are they not a match made in heaven or hell..whatever yer preference!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Also..I need to hear the Jerry P mod clip samples that DD3Keegs posted before..

CM-John can't stop praising them..So I NEED to hear them...he says they are the best 5150 clips he's heard! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

send it off to get modded!
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Just PM'd DD3keegs for the Jerry P clips..!

Bill Z Bubbles

OK , I guess I was wrong..DD3keegs just advised me...does anyone have those Jerry P modded 5150 clips...?

I haven't heard them yet.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I don't really go by "recordings" ..the overall voice/tone can be manipulated and polished greatly..

I need to hear the amps' ACTUAL tone three feet from my face to hear the real deal..with my ears in front of the speaker cab...THAT'S where the actual tone is..that's how you judge an amp!!

Clips can sorta help when searching for a certain amp you can't get your fingers on, such as boutique amps that nobody in your area stocks..a clip can let you know that amp is "capable" of doing what you like.

I've heard true CRAP sound "good" when recorded!

Comment

Working...
                              X