Vetta HD update...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta HD update...

Not too many posts here lately regarding the Vetta.
    I have one. I have been turning knobs, going through sub menu's and using the incredibly user friendly Line 6 Edit for a few months now. I also have the Longboard and I run stereo 2 x 12 cabinets.
    Its an amazing amp. It won't replace my tube amps but its a REALLY fun amp to play through because it makes everything you play sound great. It also makes just about every guitar with every type of pickup sound great. I was playing Metallica riffs with a stock strat with 3 single coils!
    Anyway, if you can get past the tube vs modeling debates (I did) you would find the Vetta is pretty awesome. Even Bill would like the HD147 patch. My band CHASE has a gig this Saturday and both Sambencuda and myself will be using our Vetta's in stereo stage left and stage right. My prediction is that we will have great sound. He is taking over alot of the solo's which is totally cool with me. I love listening to other guys play guitar solo's while I am chunking away on the rhythm.

Re: Vetta HD update...

I really liked mine, but got pissed at Line6 for not updating the line outs to match a $299 Pod XT. The XT and the XT Live have MUCH better recording outs than the Vetta does... and has for over a year. I'll probably buy a Vetta again next time L6 does an update, but I'm having fun with my Ghetto rack and JSX and other amps.

Pete

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I really liked mine, but got pissed at Line6 for not updating the line outs to match a $299 Pod XT. The XT and the XT Live have MUCH better recording outs than the Vetta does... and has for over a year. I'll probably buy a Vetta again next time L6 does an update, but I'm having fun with my Ghetto rack and JSX and other amps.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, the direct recording line outs on the Vetta aren't as great as the amp is. They are useable but I mic'd mine when I recorded with it. We ended up not using the Vetta tracks for the CD. Instead, we used my Soldano, a DSL100 and a 5150.

Comment

I would love to try a Vetta. I am a fan of modeling amps. I really dig my V-Amp Pro and I am continuously discovering new tones with it...although I use the Modern High Gain setting 90% of the time. I would like to try a tube power amp and 2x12 cab with it....maybe soon.

Mike
        Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

I like my XT Live, which I run into either: Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers, a JBL Eon G2 powered PA speaker, or a Marshall 3203 head & 1960A 4x12. If Line 6 came out with an XT Live with the 2-amps-at-once feature, I’d probably buy that, too.

I bought a Vetta combo via eBay, which was DOA (The amp was packed extremely poorly when I received it, so I can't blame the amp for not working). Fortunately for me, the seller agreed to a refund (though I did pay $75 each way shipping and went through a lot of trouble trying to diagnose the problem, contacting Line 6, etc.). You guys warned me about the combo’s weight, and you were right. It’s also extremely large, and hard to carry. I wouldn’t buy the combo again. The head, maybe, but I’d prefer it in the XT Live form factor.

Comment

Yeah John..

I tried a Vetta at GC and went thru the presets..it sounded pretty cool..but I got lost exploring with that thing! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Then I played the HD147 and the store manager(Ripper's geetar playa)..Said "Bill, Crank that bitch"..so I did..I set it to Uber of course..I'll be damn, I was right at home with it..sounded pretty cool indeed!!

The Vetta is much too complicated for my feeble brain..with all the programing and whatknots..the HD147..is more for dummies like me..knobs..give me knobs!! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'd love to bring it home and A/B it to the real deal..and cranked it up with the band to see if it has what it takes for me..

Even Cleve John may say FUGGIT one of these days and go the ways of a Vetta...for their capabilty for good tones and versatility...he's not content with his rig at the moment..even tho it sounds damn good when I hear him play it.

I personally think John needs to go the way of a VHT CL w/EQ or whatever head that is..of all the heads I've played I think he'd like that most...knowing what he likes...which is a hotter classic VH / Criss Oliva tone!

Maybe even a Jerry P modded 5150..

But having played both the 5150 and VHT stuff..I really think he'd like the VHT.

I know John and Mike Romeo (Symphony X) had a pretty long discussion on his Vetta..it sounded good to my ears..but I think he complained about the lack of projection and body in the mix..and on stage..

John can elaborate on what Mike said ..He toured with it many times..he may still..I dunno..

In the right hands I can see the Vetta being pretty cool!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I like my XT Live, which I run into either: Klipsch 2.1 computer speakers, a JBL Eon G2 powered PA speaker, or a Marshall 3203 head & 1960A 4x12. If Line 6 came out with an XT Live with the 2-amps-at-once feature, I’d probably buy that, too.

I bought a Vetta combo via eBay, which was DOA (The amp was packed extremely poorly when I received it, so I can't blame the amp for not working). Fortunately for me, the seller agreed to a refund (though I did pay $75 each way shipping and went through a lot of trouble trying to diagnose the problem, contacting Line 6, etc.). You guys warned me about the combo’s weight, and you were right. It’s also extremely large, and hard to carry. I wouldn’t buy the combo again. The head, maybe, but I’d prefer it in the XT Live form factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 2 amps at once XT Live would really hurt the Vetta.
              I have read about the Vetta 3 that is going to come out. It going to do things that are absolutely amazing.
              Line 6 did it smart too! They started Vetta wish lists and compiled data from Vetta players all over the world on what they would do to the Vetta to make it even better.
              They took these suggestions and created the Vetta 3.
              A few things I have heard rumoured are:
              More flexible stomp box placement (its already mucho flexible)
              Better wah (the wah on the Vetta isn't too good)
              Acoustic Simulator
              The amp models will actually have the amp names instead of Line 6 names for them. (for instance.. Mississippi Criminal will actually be called Peavey 5150).
              Same thing with the cabinet models.
              Better tube emulation
              The Institute of Noise and Vettaville websites have a ton if info on the new Vetta 3.

Comment

I love my Vetta combo, but I am thinking of going with the HD147 for it's ease of use. I find myself starting to program a patch from scratch and getting lost in all the sub menus and giving up. I usually just start from the Satch's Alien patch and change the amps, which sounds good but I would like to be able to program the tones from scratch. The amp sounds great, but I find it frustrating to program at times.

Comment

That Vetta 3 sounds pretty cool..probably pretty pricey too..I would think...

John, My biggest concern is ..if the Vetta took a dump..I would think it would be a clusterfuck...you and Pete know more than I about that issue..

It's gotta look like spaghetti in that thing!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

John, what say you...is that a legit concern. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

John do you know if the 3 will be a firmware update?
                    Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

i had a hd147 and i currently have a vetta.
                      the hd147 sounds really good, but when you put it next to a vetta running 2 amp models at once, you'll be blown away.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        That Vetta 3 sounds pretty cool..probably pretty pricey too..I would think...

John, My biggest concern is ..ifthe Vetta took a dump..I would think it would be a clusterfuck...you and Pete know more than I about that issue..

It's gotta look like spaghetti in that thing!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

John, what say you...is that a legit concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you back up your Vetta patches on the PC it shouldn't be a concern and backing them up is a simple few clicks of the mouse. The Vetta uses very robust boards and the power supplies are actually power amps from the car audio industry. They are extremely tough. Internally.. it is extremely neat and well made. There isn't nearly as much stuff in there as you would think. Think of it like a PC. They hardly ever crap out. You can leave a PC on for days, months, years with barely a hiccup.
                        The Vetta is basically a PC with a really good built in power amp.
                        Now.. say you were onstage and your Vetta took a dump. Well.. you would be fucked... but no more fucked if your Uber went up in smoke.
                        There are a few differences in the amount of fuckedness you would experience. (fuckedness.. its a new word)
                        1st. If you backed up your Vetta you could just upload your patches into the new or repaired one. If you got a new Uber or you got yours repaired you never know if it will sound the same. The Vetta absolutely will sound EXACTLY the same.
                        I would think that the cost of repair and the time of repair would be about the same.
                        Most Vetta users bring a back up (not because they are worried.. but rather most guitarists bring some sort of a back up amp to a gig). I would think that many of them bring a XT Live. I bring a GT6.
                        I have never heard a single issue regarding a Vetta crapping out live. I have heard many stories regarding tube amps crapping out.
                        Personally, for what I use the Vetta for, the HD147 would have suited me just fine.
                        Regarding the learning curve on the Vetta. Bill, its nothing bro. Super easy. Its not nearly as complex as people make it out to be. Its kind of like the 1st time you ever used a computer. It freaks you out at first. The simple things seem impossible. Then.. all of a sudden.. you figure it out and realize its not that complicated at all. The more you use it the easier it gets. The more you use it the better you get. The more you use it the more you depend on it. Pretty soon.. you start comparing all of your amps to the Vetta. I do.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          John do you know if the 3 will be a firmware update?

[/ QUOTE ]

Strong rumour suggests that it won't. Also, the Armin mods will be incorporated in the Vetta 3.

Comment

I do love my Vetta II head....It took me a long time to come to the realization that it just doesnt get any better for home use. I keep it permanently connected to the PC in my music room, and all I have to do is turn it on and control all the settings right from my puter.

2 questions though

Can you turn the tuner on and off remotely via the software?

And

I run my vetta through my marshall 4x12, which has the greenbacks (love greenbacks). But, its not in stereo.

I wonder if I am really missing much without the stereo outputs?

Shawn
                            Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I do love my Vetta II head....It took me a long time to come to the realization that it just doesnt get any better for home use. I keep it permanently connected to the PC in my music room, and all I have to do is turn it on and control all the settings right from my puter.

2 questions though

Can you turn the tuner on and off remotely via the software?

And

I run my vetta through my marshall 4x12, which has the greenbacks (love greenbacks). But, its not in stereo.

I wonder if I am really missing much without the stereo outputs?

Shawn

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the tuner Shawn. I will look into it. Regarding the stereo effect...
                              At home you can hear the stereo spread in a split 4 x 12 cabinet. At the gig you can't. I run 2 2 x 12 cabs spread apart and I set up my delays as panners or ping pongs. I also have some patches where I route a different amp and a different cab emulation to each speaker cabinet. For instance:
                              For the chorus part of Photograph by Def Leppard which has both a clean and a distorted guitar in it I use a Marshall Silver Jubilee through a Marshall 4 x 12 loaded with Vin 30's stage left and a Marshall JCM900 clean through a Marshall 4 x 12 with 75w speakers. I also have the double tracker on with the modulation around 1:00 and a sine chorus on the clean side. The Jubilee has a very slight delay on it. When you hear it you would swear 2 guitars are playing because one is clean and one is distorted. The double tracker varies the attack of each amp and makes it sound like 2 slightly different pick attacks. It really is amazing.
                              The best trick has to be the TRS cable in the effects loop for solo boost. Its the best. Unlimited variable boose on any channel just by stepping on the loop switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X