Any Krank Users in here???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sevser View Post
    Good question...I heard the Revolution at one of our shows and was very impressed as was everyone else...It cut through and totaly killed the duel recto it was sharing the starge with. I felt stupid cuz I had been saying the reviews were so consistant that they were POS's...

Then I had free reign of a music store that had a krankenstien and even with the tone chart they provide with the amp I could not get a sound that I could even stand...let alone enjoy. I tried every guitar/pup combo I could but it was horrid. I wonder if the two are really that different and/or if Krank..."Kranked" out a bunch of duds to keep the hype going?

Even on some live shows with bands using Kranks sound crappy when compaired to bands playing the same stage.
    Personal taste my man. The sam amp with 2 different people playing threw it are going to sound different. The krank really picks up on attack. I attack my guitar with alot of Harmonics and side picking. It's something I do and I get an edge on my tone that way.
    Kranks are not trash or POS they actually are for the heavier guitar play who wants a clean channel clean. The Krankenstien is even heavier but the clean channel is gritty. I can dial a killer tone with the Krankenstien. I played a few since I owned my Rev 1 and I wouldn't mind owning both for different things. My rev 1's clean is just more for me. Even the drive channel I perfer for most of what I do but Drop D or C# songs so mean on the Krankenstien.

Comment

Originally posted by magh8 View Post
      Krank are simply not what they claim to be
      What do you mean by this? Is this personal experience or something you read online? I could care less what reviews and other people say man, I care about my tone. The amp can say assamp and if it sound the way I want it, then I'm there. I'm not into brands and Owning a Krank amp doesn't juice me up. My tone is what I care about. Even my 2 Jacksons could go right out the door if I come across a guitar that plays better and sounds better. My new
      SL3 is on the darkside and I might get rid of it. It plays awesome but doesn't sound as good as I like. It's a beautiful guitar but my 2005 SL3 I think sounded better When it played.

Comment

Originally posted by Slashaxl View Post
        Borrowed a Revolution for a while, but did not like it that much.
        Was nowhere near my Diezel imo.
        I'd love to play a Diszel. I think Russo's music in Trenton has em. I played a Bogner there and I liked that. Does the Diezel have a Fender Twin clear clean channel??? I mean beautiful clear?? Then does it have a ass kicking hard driving Metal drive channel??? If so I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm always up for a new amp Bro. I'm no way married to my Krank. If something else comes by thats better, it's out as fast as it came in. The Bogner Impressed me.

Comment

Originally posted by memphiskat View Post
          Philly = Croydon? ........

Sorry, just had to do it.....
          LOLOLOLOLOL most people have no idea where Croydon is. We built a new house here 3 years ago. We are minutes from Phila. Bensalem is right next door.

I see your in the area

Comment

The chadwick is a great amp tone wise just not very reliable
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              I spent 2 hours at Guitar Cener today test driving 4 half stacks..I went for the most BRUTAL tone I could coax from each amp ..The JSX came in first place hands down ..on the Utra channel..The VHT lead came in second..The Mesa Roadking came in a close third and the Krankenstein trailed FAR behind in last place..I was up there with my bud, who's the GC Guitar manager, and Ripper's guitarist ..he kept talking to me as I tested no matter how busy he was..and he was busy..

We both could NOT believe how overrated and horrible the Krank sounded, especially for that kin of money, I couldn't fuggin' believe it to be honest..I mean as soon as I tried to get anywhere the gain I require..it squealed like my wife on her period..worse!!

I got MUCH more attention, smiles and horns while playing the Peavey ..it CRUSHED all the heads I mentioned ..not just to my ears..to everyone in the place..without question!!

I had the JSX' Low, Gain and Resonance all the way up and it was PERECTLY tight, both with the "fat" switch off and on, pretty fuggin' and focused..and it was stocked with EL34's..AWESOME amp!!!

I played the XXX..OK, but doesn't compare to the JSX in my book ...it sounds "hairy" when pushed where I need it to be..I was immediatelt not interested.

I'm confirmed the JSX is Peavey's flagship of amps..and I was a dedicated 5150 guy since '90..not any more!!

Bill Z Bub
              Whats funny about your story is I played the XXX JSX and the 5150 and found that I perfer the Krank rev 1 over all of them. I actually hated the XXX. I thought it sucked the ballbag and had some shitty tone. The clean channel sounded like a cheap Transistor radio. terrrible man but hey everyone likes what they like and thats why you can get a Peavey and I can get a Krank. I don't like Mesa tone much. There clean channel all suck. The lonestar is ok at best but man the drive channel suffers there. You can't get your cake and eat it with mesa Boogie from what I have played. Shame to as one of my Friends bands guitarist uses a Dual Rec and he got that thing sounding Incredible. Killer tone he has.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                Can't a guy just like what he found? Sorry but I thought this forum was for REAL players. I don't know what the HC thing is.

Like I said, I'm a Fender guy who want more. The drive channel on my Twin doesn't do it for me. I had to add a Distortion pedal to it and that takes away flexibility in my eyes. I don't even use that channel anymore so I basically have a 1 channel amp now.The Krank gave me the drive channel I wanted, Also kept the clean channel clean, and again I'm a Fender guy so I'm very cridical about clean channels. If the Kranks clean channel wasn't up to my standards, I would have moved on to something else. My goals would have led me to the Peavy 5150 or try out another Mesa Boogie in the Lone Star. I heard it has a pretty good clean channel and retaining the high gain on the gain channel.
                I didn't even pay Krank any mind until I played there Distortion pedal. I saw there adds in the Mags and I thought they looked like some Gimmick amp company. When I bought my Fender, Sam Ash had a Krank Krankenstien and I didn't even turn it on.Not until I got home with the Krank Distortus maximus pedal(also after returning a Tonebone British Heat, and thats another story)

If you think I'm from Krank or some kind of Marketing company, well your wrong. I'm just your tipical Philly guy who loves metal who also just got back into playing guitar 3 months ago(I took off for over 10 years). Who also just bought my first jackson Sl3 and love it.I owned a Charvel Model 3 back in my High school days in the 80's.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I'm just trying to learn about todays new technology with these modeling amps and pedal boards. All these new amp companies and how to buy my effects.This will be my 3rd amp in 3 months due to the fact that my Vox Ad120vtx broke down(brand new), and I'm unhappy with the drive channel in my Fender, if the Fenders drive channel was more modern Heavy metal tone instead of vintage classic rock tone, I would keep it. In my opnion there isn't another amp company that does clean better then Fender. No one in my opnion that I have heard including the Krank. The kranks clean is very good and fender like with out reverb.

Dan
                From Phily , Pa non Krank or Marketing Employee, Home theater Installer
                Guitar player
                I have no comment on Krank amps but I will say one thing. There are alot of VERY good players on the JCF with GREAT ears and I can assure you one thing for sure... if you ask about an amp here you will absolutely get answers. Some you will like, others you won't. If you want only praise regarding an amp you just purchased you will not find it here. There are players here who dislike the Ubershall for metal. There are players who think the 5150 sounds like harsh canned ass. There are players here who HATE all Rectifiers!!! Then.. you have the tube snobs, the modeling crew, the rack guys, the no effects guys, the vintage players... etc...
                Get my drift??

Comment

JG hit the nail on the head +1
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have a cousin who did krank once. I don't think he liked it, because he usually sticks to heroin or crack.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I hosted a tone party late last summer. We had several fine heads - Bogner Xtacy, Mesa Triple Rec, 5150, JCM800 silver, SLO, Krank Rev, Mesa Rackto, Zwengel, Carvin MTS.

Most of the heads held there ground evenly as runner-up. The Krank, by far, was the most disappointing and came in a solid last place. It's not that it totally sucked but compared to the competition in the bar, it didn't seem to measure up. It didn't make your arm hair stand up or thrill any players. We couldn't dial in a tone that we liked so we moved on to the next. Perhaps it was due to the fact it was a shop model and the other amps were owned and had tones dialed in from the moment you turned them on. I also seem to recall the Zwengel had a frizzy lead channel that was irritating but the regular gain channel was rich.
                      The shootout for #1 came down to the Mesa Racktofier and the SLO. When the smoke cleared the Soldano was the fav for the rockers. It was the clear #1. My personal choice for #2 was the Silver Marshall.

After hearing all of these amps demo'd, I'd have to pass on the Krank. I'd probably go with the Racktofier since I'm a tidy rack guy and would want to keep my FX & amp in one box. (which BTW has got me thinking about a H&K Switchblade lately) BUT.. I'd be all over a SLO if I used stompbox FX's.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        I have no comment on Krank amps but I will say one thing. There are alot of VERY good players on the JCF with GREAT ears and I can assure you one thing for sure... if you ask about an amp here you will absolutely get answers. Some you will like, others you won't. If you want only praise regarding an amp you just purchased you will not find it here. There are players here who dislike the Ubershall for metal. There are players who think the 5150 sounds like harsh canned ass. There are players here who HATE all Rectifiers!!! Then.. you have the tube snobs, the modeling crew, the rack guys, the no effects guys, the vintage players... etc...
                        Get my drift??
                        I get your drift man. I'm not looking for anything other then talking about our wonderful hobby. Music has been my life since I was 9.I got my first guitar and amp then and love it as much or more today. Everyone has there favorite gear and have many reasons why. Personal taste Bro.

Rock on.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
                          I hosted a tone party late last summer. We had several fine heads - Bogner Xtacy, Mesa Triple Rec, 5150, JCM800 silver, SLO, Krank Rev, Mesa Rackto, Zwengel, Carvin MTS.

Most of the heads held there ground evenly as runner-up. The Krank, by far, was the most disappointing and came in a solid last place. It's not that it totally sucked but compared to the competition in the bar, it didn't seem to measure up. It didn't make your arm hair stand up or thrill any players. We couldn't dial in a tone that we liked so we moved on to the next. Perhaps it was due to the fact it was a shop model and the other amps were owned and had tones dialed in from the moment you turned them on. I also seem to recall the Zwengel had a frizzy lead channel that was irritating but the regular gain channel was rich.
                          The shootout for #1 came down to the Mesa Racktofier and the SLO. When the smoke cleared the Soldano was the fav for the rockers. It was the clear #1. My personal choice for #2 was the Silver Marshall.

After hearing all of these amps demo'd, I'd have to pass on the Krank. I'd probably go with the Racktofier since I'm a tidy rack guy and would want to keep my FX & amp in one box. (which BTW has got me thinking about a H&K Switchblade lately) BUT.. I'd be all over a SLO if I used stompbox FX's.
                          That sounded like a killer time. The Soldano amps are killer. They have been making great amps for years. No one around me has em or I would love to demo one personally. I have only heard others play em. Sounds like you guys didn't like the Krank at all. I wonder if you guys tried the clean channel? I'd like to read your comments on that.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                            That sounded like a killer time. The Soldano amps are killer. They have been making great amps for years. No one around me has em or I would love to demo one personally. I have only heard others play em. Sounds like you guys didn't like the Krank at all. I wonder if you guys tried the clean channel? I'd like to read your comments on that.

Dan
                            One of the most versatile metal amps I have heard in quite a while is the 1st gen Mesa Stiletto with the Hollywood mod.
                            Kranks seem to be hit or miss amps which is also how all the newer Marshall DSL/TSL's are perceived.

Comment

John G you KNOW how I feel about DSL/TSLs right..I would grab one of those in a fuggin heartbeat before a Krank..if I had to choose one to do a show!

The Krankenstein is one of THE worst amps I have ever heard in my entire musical life..it was SO bad.. it was ridiculous..actually laughable..

When I say bad..I mean BAD!!!!!

There was many other curious ears and players other than myself wanting to hear what this thing could do..and heard me go from one amp to the next, with Ripper's player right there..it wasn't even "comparable"..in any way , shape or form to the JSX, VHT, Roadking ..not even the somewhat lame XXX..

I tell you what I'd get a Line6 HD147 WAYYYYYYYYYY before I would even think of a Krank..If you gave me one Free..I'd dump it immediately..I certainly wouldn't play that thing!

I don't care for Rectos, and don't like DSLs myself...we all know this..but the Krank actually make those amps appealing to me...especially the Recto...I guess.

I was actually optimestic and expecting something "good" ..if it was good I'd be the first to say so..but it was just bad..I mean really really really bad!!

Cleveland John and I tried a Randall Warhead some years ago and thought that was pretty bad..ummm..this was actually MUCH worse!!

I don't care..different strokes my hairy ass..that amp is 100% pure shit..IMO!!!

Nah, The JSX, Soldano, VHT, Bogner, Framus, Engl, Old Marshalls and even your beloved Vetta and so on are "good" sounding amps..in any walk of life..

People get paid to play and promote this crap..kids see these amps, on MTV, Metalapocalyse and Guitar World or wherever and want what their heroes play..it's pure 100% hype..This is confirmed in my mind after finally playing a Krank!

No "credible" amp dude can tell me this fuggin' thing sounds "good"..I even thought Jeff Loomis sounded like ass with his, and I known him since '97 and seen him with all of his live rigs including a POD pro, and always sounded fine.

Gary just saw them recently and Jeff was using his Recto ..while being endorsed by Krank.

On the Arch Enemy live DVD..which is produced by Andy sneap and also endorsed by Krank weren't using them..

Just calling it like I hear 'em..

I've seen amps such as Line 6 and Crate BVs get slammed hardcore here and I always said ..go with what works best for you..in this case, this does NOT apply!!

Bill Z
                              Last edited by horns666; 12-26-2006, 06:06 AM.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                                John G you KNOW how I feel about DSL/TSLs right..I would grab one of those in a fuggin heartbeat before a Krank..if I had to choose one to do a show!

The Krankenstein is one of THE worst amps I have ever heard in my entire musical life..it was SO bad.. it was ridiculous..actually laughable..

When I say bad..I mean BAD!!!!!

There was many other curious ears and players other than myself wanting to hear what this thing could do..and heard me go from one amp to the next, with Ripper's player right there..it wasn't even "comparable"..in any way , shape or form to the JSX, VHT, Roadking ..not even the somewhat lame XXX..

I tell you what I'd get a Line6 HD147 WAYYYYYYYYYY before I would even think of a Krank..If you gave me one Free..I'd dump it immediately..I certainly wouldn't play that thing!

I don't care for Rectos, and don't like DSLs myself...we all know this..but the Krank actually make those amps appealing to me...especially the Recto...I guess.

I was actually optimestic and expecting something "good" ..if it was good I'd be the first to say so..but it was just bad..I mean really really really bad!!

Cleveland John and I tried a Randall Warhead some years ago and thought that was pretty bad..ummm..this was actually MUCH worse!!

I don't care..different strokes my hairy ass..that amp is 100% pure shit..IMO!!!

Nah, The JSX, Soldano, VHT, Bogner, Framus, Engl, Old Marshalls and even your beloved Vetta and so on are "good" sounding amps..in any walk of life..

People get paid to play and promote this crap..kids see these amps, on MTV, Metalapocalyse and Guitar World or wherever and want what their heroes play..it's pure 100% hype..This is confirmed in my mind after finally playing a Krank!

No "credible" amp dude can tell me this fuggin' thing sounds "good"..I even thought Jeff Loomis sounded like ass with his, and I known him since '97 and seen him with all of his live rigs including a POD pro, and always sounded fine.

Gary just saw them recently and Jeff was using his Recto ..while being endorsed by Krank.

On the Arch Enemy live DVD..which is produced by Andy sneap and also endorsed by Krank weren't using them..

Just calling it like I hear 'em..

I've seen amps such as Line 6 and Crate BVs get slammed hardcore here and I always said ..go with what works best for you..in this case, this does NOT apply!!

Bill Z
                                So tell me Bill How do you really feel about Krank amps????
                                Damn dude such hatred. Man they pissed you off in some form. Worse amp you ever played and all.
                                If you are referring to me as a non credible amp person, then thats not very cool. I started playing guitar in 1979. I have played many many amps and the Krank Rev 1 for me had what I was looking for. Like I said I don't care what name is on the amp, it has to perform. Since I owned it though, I have taken an intrest in Bogner. I played a few different ones and liked this 2 channel Bogner amp. The channel lights up when active.Nice sounding clean and drive channels. Other then that I like Fender twin clean. I also like the Vox amps. I owned a Vox Valvetronix and got great tone out of it. I had the 120VTX.
                                I also don't like Marshall anything or Mesa Boogie. I feel Mesa Boogie can make a good drive channel but there clean channels suck. marshall is to 70's sounding for me meaning rock and roll tone not heavy metal tone. I remember the Mosfet amps back in the day and they sounded terrible. Crate sucks and I don't care for Peavey. I'd like to retry a JSX as alot of people dig em. I played a 5150 and thought it was ok. Clean channels are very Important to me. An amp must have a Fender Twin amp type clean or I don't like it. I play alot of clean channel stuff and when I want clean, I want my cake. I'd rather go back to a Fender Twin with distortion pedals then have a amp with a great drive channel and a suck ass dirty clean which sin't clean.
                                Different strokes man. Everyone has what they are looking for.There isn't one amp out there that everyone will agree with is a great amp. Some more then other but none for everyone. thats why there are so many amps. Solid state and tubes(which I'm a tube guy).
                                So saying the Krank amps suck is fine with me man, I like mine. It's your opnion and you have the right to it. I like Jackson guitars but alot of guys think they suck ass and we should all upgrade to ESP and LTD. Get out of the past and grow with the times. Me I like my Jackson and thats that. I also like Fender Strats which is my go to guitar. Some people think they suck ass and we should be all playing a Ibanez. I like Strats.

We can debate this untill we are blue in the face but the fact remains... people like what they like for different reasons.The world would be very boring if everyone used the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X