No announcement yet.

Any Krank Users in here???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Krank is on my list of heads to test at our next tone party. I'd like to get a hold of a 50-watter and push it. I'll post all of our results and how much beer & pizza we consumed.

Comment

Well, I laughed when my friends high end/ boutique and vintage shop here started carrying Krank, just from what I read on the net. Well, I tried the Chadwick and it sounded damn good. I asked them what they thought of the Revolution which they had in stock and they told me the circuit was similar to a 70's Marshall. I didn't try the Revolution, but this comes from a shop that returns more high end Gibsons and Fenders to their distributors, as the guitars didn't meet their standards, for what it's worth.

Comment

I haven't seen the Chadwick.

Dan

Comment

The Chadwick? It's the cheapest one and sounds like a modded Marshall. It was really good at very reasonable volumes as well. I really liked it and I have overpriced taste for most guitar related toys. I have no idea of where they came up with 'AC-30' in the ad copy, other than the highs were clear. It has a great 80's hard rock~ LA metal type tone for the money.

Comment

The Chadwick got a good review in a recent Guitar Player mag.

Comment

Well where I work we sell Kranks

I've had the pleasure of taking them apart to check them, and see build quality. We have returned 3 krankenstien heads and sent 3 out for repair.
              We have had seriously HUGE reliabilty problems with the kranks we have had, the revolution series is the same for us, no good times there!

I do hoever like how the krankenstien sounds with my Dime guitars! sounds huge and just like Dime with the pq4!

anyhow, they are neat looking amps and in theory sound good, but in practice so far I'VE not had good experiences! but your mileage may vary!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralArchitect
                Well where I work we sell Kranks

I've had the pleasure of taking them apart to check them, and see build quality. We have returned 3 krankenstien heads and sent 3 out for repair.
                We have had seriously HUGE reliabilty problems with the kranks we have had, the revolution series is the same for us, no good times there!

I do hoever like how the krankenstien sounds with my Dime guitars! sounds huge and just like Dime with the pq4!

anyhow, they are neat looking amps and in theory sound good, but in practice so far I'VE not had good experiences! but your mileage may vary!

Chris
                Thats not good news for me. I just ordered a Revolution 1 combo. I had a Vox Ad120vtx that failed on me in less then 2 months. I got a Fender twin in it's place but hate the drive channel(the clean channel is killer not to mention I owned a Twin Reverb in the past). I really wanted a amp that has a crazy clean channel like the fender and can rock like a Mesa Boogie or better and I found it in the Revolution 1. If it has problems, I'm gonna be pissed. I'm actually getting alittle tired of the amo thing. I want to get my new amp and love it, to repair it.

This kills me to as In the past I have owned many amps and never had I had to repair any of them. Never did I buy an amp and then it failed. I hate todays built quality standards. Rush it out , make a huge profit and fix it when it breaks.
                The Kranks are suppost to be well built from what I have read, they are also suppost to be hand wired. I hope you just got a few bad ones and thats it.

Can you give me any more Info???

Dan

Comment

Digging up an old thread, I know...

But I played a Revolution at the store last week before I got my Genz Benz. With everything flat (12 o'clock), the amp was shaking the entire building with its massive low-end and piercing the ears with its massive high-end. The mids were so scooped that you couldn't tell it was a guitar. After fiddling with it for five minutes with the store owner, we managed to kill some treble (by turning the presence almost all of the way down) and the bass down to around 2 or 3 to hear some sound over the rumbling.

The amp would be perfect if all I did was play crushing death metal/grindcore all the time, but since I don't the amp never even had a chance to make my list of considerations.

I'm curious how the guy who bought one likes it after 8 months?
                  Scott

Comment

Good question...I heard the Revolution at one of our shows and was very impressed as was everyone else...It cut through and totaly killed the duel recto it was sharing the starge with. I felt stupid cuz I had been saying the reviews were so consistant that they were POS's...

Then I had free reign of a music store that had a krankenstien and even with the tone chart they provide with the amp I could not get a sound that I could even stand...let alone enjoy. I tried every guitar/pup combo I could but it was horrid. I wonder if the two are really that different and/or if Krank..."Kranked" out a bunch of duds to keep the hype going?

Even on some live shows with bands using Kranks sound crappy when compaired to bands playing the same stage.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Saw firewind a few weeks back Gus G apparently uses kranks now and his tone was pretty decent and cut through...

I wouldnt mind trying one out because of Gus decent tone allthough it might not be what i'm personally after and i'm pretty happy tonewise atm....

Ozz

Comment

Krank are simply not what they claim to be
                        www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Borrowed a Revolution for a while, but did not like it that much.
                          Was nowhere near my Diezel imo.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                            Dan
                            From Phily , Pa non Krank or Marketing Employee, Home theater Installer
                            Guitar player
                            Philly = Croydon? ........

Sorry, just had to do it.....

Comment

I spent 2 hours at Guitar Cener today test driving 4 half stacks..I went for the most BRUTAL tone I could coax from each amp ..The JSX came in first place hands down ..on the Utra channel..The VHT lead came in second..The Mesa Roadking came in a close third and the Krankenstein trailed FAR behind in last place..I was up there with my bud, who's the GC Guitar manager, and Ripper's guitarist ..he kept talking to me as I tested no matter how busy he was..and he was busy..

We both could NOT believe how overrated and horrible the Krank sounded, especially for that kin of money, I couldn't fuggin' believe it to be honest..I mean as soon as I tried to get anywhere the gain I require..it squealed like my wife on her period..worse!!

I got MUCH more attention, smiles and horns while playing the Peavey ..it CRUSHED all the heads I mentioned ..not just to my ears..to everyone in the place..without question!!

I had the JSX' Low, Gain and Resonance all the way up and it was PERECTLY tight, both with the "fat" switch off and on, pretty fuggin' and focused..and it was stocked with EL34's..AWESOME amp!!!

I played the XXX..OK, but doesn't compare to the JSX in my book ...it sounds "hairy" when pushed where I need it to be..I was immediatelt not interested.

I'm confirmed the JSX is Peavey's flagship of amps..and I was a dedicated 5150 guy since '90..not any more!!

Bill Z Bub
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                                Digging up an old thread, I know...

But I played a Revolution at the store last week before I got my Genz Benz. With everything flat (12 o'clock), the amp was shaking the entire building with its massive low-end and piercing the ears with its massive high-end. The mids were so scooped that you couldn't tell it was a guitar. After fiddling with it for five minutes with the store owner, we managed to kill some treble (by turning the presence almost all of the way down) and the bass down to around 2 or 3 to hear some sound over the rumbling.

The amp would be perfect if all I did was play crushing death metal/grindcore all the time, but since I don't the amp never even had a chance to make my list of considerations.

I'm curious how the guy who bought one likes it after 8 months?
                                Cool man. I'll give a review of the amp after 8 months of ownership...

The Krank seemed to mellw out a bit. I feel due to the tubes wearing in or out for that matter. My tone got alittle slushy, alittle soft not like when it was new. When it was new, it crushed and was crazy tight. Now it's alittle loose and melow. The clean channel is softer and still retained it clarity but the drive channel didn't seem to retain it's crazy tightness or clarity. Come to find out I needed new tubes. Drive tubes. I replaced them and now my sound is kinda back. It's tighter but not exactly like it was when new.
                                When tubes go bad, they sound like ass. I'm crazy about my tone and I constantly mess with it. I also picked up a Boss GT 8 and I don't think it's all that great. I think it hurts my tone rather then help it. I feel it's a bad match for my Krank. Maybe I'm 2 anal about my tone but owning Fender amps all my life I know what good sound is and whats not.

I probably made a mistake in buying the Boss GT 8 but I really wanted it's flexibility.It's so cool to beable to make a patch, pipe it in the effects loop and in front of the amp at the same time while controling my drive and clean channels with it. I can program it to run my preamp clean and a drive channel modded like a Mesa or Peavy 5150. I can run a Rolland clean and my Drive channel with whatever effects I want in the loop of my amp while running something in front of the preamp. All the cool things it does but I think I lose sound quality. When I remove it, my sound is tighter and cleaner. My clean channel doesn't suffer as much as my Drive(Krank)channel does. I think the GT 8 takes the edge out of it and the edge it has is why I got this amp.

I'm a basement player who isn't in a band anymore and my friends come over and jam from time to time. My X drummers set is in the basement so we can jame whenever we want.

I have had many good comments on my tone. Me I think Krank makes a good product. I did however check out a Bogner and I liked it. Even the clean channel was pretty good. Alittle smoother gain on the Bogner not as Heavy or punchy as my Krank.

Would I buy this amp again if I could do it all over again?? Yeah I think so but I think I would get a half stack instead of a combo. Much easier to work on the head changing tubes and such. But this combo does play asshole loud. My drummer was Impressed how it over powered his drumset with just 2 12 speakers. Not to mention the bass is so strong it shakes my concrete poured basement.

Comment

Working...
                                X