framus cobra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• framus cobra

has anyone tried one? what are your thoughts..?

Milkman cookies.......In all seriousness they are pretty sweet. Although concidering the price i wouldnt buy one. But they have a conciderable amount of gain, and a great rich lead sound.
    www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

thanks for your informative comment it really helped me in my quest for a great rich lead sound and considerable amount of gain

Comment

Sssouuuurrrr Crrrreeeeaaaaammmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!
        www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

has anyone else tried one?...preferably some one who actually has tried one?

Comment

I've tried two, both through the matching cabinets.

While it is definately a badass amp, it's not quite 2400 new badass. Maybe if it was more like 1700 new, or like 1200-1300 used. It's got a rich, dark tone, somewhat reminescent of a 5150.

For the price, though, I'd rather get a 5150, Single Recto, a nice cabinet, and go to town.

Comment

I think the two guys from toronto should fight!

fight over a creamus phobra!

BARF!

I wouldn't buy one based on thier reliability, and if you want to spend about 1K more for a rectifier, then I'll spraypaint my recto silver and put some christmas tree lights inside and you'd be none the wiser!

Comment

When you look at the insides, $2k + seems even more unreasonable - looks pretty cheap inside (gut shot was posted at HC).

Comment

i dont know anything about the guts of an amp...but what would a couple examples of amps with well designed guts?

Comment

"When you look at the insides, $2k + seems even more unreasonable - looks pretty cheap inside (gut shot was posted at HC)."
                    you should always take HC threads with more than just a grain of salt

seriously, i can see your point. but, think about it, over here a new cobra is 1699 euro, whereas the dual recto retails at 2500 euro. one could argue that a recto certainly is not worth so much cash when judging the build quality.
                    (used however is a totally different story....1k for the cobra vs 1300 euro for the recto...2ch model. the 3chs go for more, like 1700....strangely )

Comment

I have tryed a Framus Cobra, but didn't like it too much. You have to try one out yourself and see what you think.I thought it had a nice thick tone, but was a little too dry. Nothing a boost pedal couldn't add, but I just didn't like it. At low volumes it sounds horrible, but at higher volumes it comes to life. It kind of has that recto sound but a bit tighter and the clean is nicer too. I heard the best thing to do with this amp is ditch the electro harmonics tubes and get Ruby EL-34bstr. Bias those tubes hotter like around 70% (I believe its around 35mA, but don't quote me). It will get rid of some of the fizziness. I have seen a few places that sell them under $2k with the footswitch so you might want to shop around and look at the dealers list on the Framus website if you want a new one.

Comment

Yeah, Mesa gear is retarded expensive over there! Jeez.

Comment

I have a Cobra. Do a search in this forum. I have given a positive review many times. It sounds great at all volumes and sounds NOTHING like a Boogie. I have played a Single Recto I used to own next to the Cobra and they couldn't sound farther apart. I hear that they are biased cold from the factory and that biasing them hotter makes them sound even better. Do a HC search on Framus Cobra. After you weed through some of the BS posts you'll find lots of good info. The heads can be bought for about $1800 or so new.

Comment

I tried one, through a matching cab. Very gainy, but it has LOTS of knobs and stuff, very fiddly.
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Found on HC
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X