Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a decent combo, loud enough for rehersal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a decent combo, loud enough for rehersal.

A friend of mine asked me for advice on what to get, and i don´t know what would be the best buy.
    It would have to be loud enough for band use, and not to expensive either.
    And also, solid state, he has not played for to long so tubes would not be worth the hassle.
    What do you think?

Solid State eh. Well, I would suggest a Tech 21 TM30 or TM60 1x12 combo, I would lean towards the 60 as you would nead the headroom on the solid state, they have many functions and are built very well and come with a footswitch and Midi compatible. Next would be one of Marshalls Valvestates, probaly in the 50 watt range or abouts, once again many options on this one. Jack.

Comment

What kind of band?

Comment

Some kind of pop/rock i think, not anything heavy.

Comment

Marshall MG100DFX great for rehearsals and gigs.
          www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Maybe a Cube 60...there are a lot of good options out there

Comment

Behringer's Tech21 copies or a Crate GFX should be fine. Some of the the older Valvestates like the 8240 are find for this too. Throw a BBE in the loop and they can kick.

Comment

mesa boogie mark IV combo

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy
                  Maybe a Cube 60...there are a lot of good options out there
                  +1

disclaimer... RacerX : is responsible for my belief in the cube 60
                  Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                  Amp... Pioneer
                  Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

A Line6 Spider II 75w 112 combo is pretty good bang for the buck, or get the 150w stereo 212 if he can afford it. If budget is an issue he could try the Behringer versions of these, they're about $100 cheaper in the States at least. These woulkdn't cut it in a hard rock or metal band but for pop/rock they'd be pretty cheap and versatile enough to do the job.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

dont shy away from a tube amp regardless of how long he's been playing.

Try a Mesa/Boogie DC-5 combo. Its a 50 watter, 2 channels and can be had on eBay for 500-600 or so
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Traynor YCV40... 1x12 all tube combo. Got one, it rocks!

I've heard their new YCV50 got more gain and sounds a bit more modern but haven't tried one yet.
                        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

He doesn't want tubes.

I would say check out the Carvin SX series combo's. Also check out Randall and Peavey.
                          You can't go wrong with a Tech 21 Trademark 60. That would cover you with no problem.
                          Also, check out modelers.
                          Line 6 Flextone, Spyder
                          Almost every amp manufacturer has a modeler nowadays. Try as many as you can.
                          Helpful features on an amp that you can use for rehearsal and gig are:
                          Effects loop
                          Channel switching
                          At least 50 watts
                          At least 1 x 12" speaker

Comment

The Tech 21 TM60 is great...but he has to be patient because it can take some time to coax the sounds you want out of it.

For easier results, go with a modeler combo like a Flextone III or a Vox Valvetronic. I have a ToneLab and if the Valvetronic combos are anything like the tonelab, he will be very happy.

Mike
                            Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Ok, thanks, i will check out what some of those amps costs in sweden.

Comment

Working...
                              X