No announcement yet.

what makes one cab better than another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what makes one cab better than another?

I have a question about guitar cabs. I have been researching the specs on different guitar cabs, and I have some questions about what makes one cab better than another..

Most of the cabs I have looked at have Celestion Vintage 30's or something similar in them. So other than the name what makes one better/more expensive than another? If I go out and buy a Framus Cobra cab vs. a Carvin Legacy cab, what makes the Framus a few hundred dollars more expensive? Are you paying for the name more than anything else? Is this a case of more expensive not necessarily being better?
    Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
    The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

i don't know an actual answer, but i know that my favorite 4x12's used to be the original marshall valvestate 4x12's. i liked them because the speakers were closer together which made the cab smaller....and they were a little deeper than a standard 4x12.

my point? they were much cheaper than the 1960 and they sounded better to me.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD
      i don't know an actual answer, but i know that my favorite 4x12's used to be the original marshall valvestate 4x12's. i liked them because the speakers were closer together which made the cab smaller....and they were a little deeper than a standard 4x12.

my point? they were much cheaper than the 1960 and they sounded better to me.
      I have the Valvestate stack and the similar Crate stack. Honestly, the Crates sound better to me. Go figure.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

It's also in the construction when it comes to price. The Randall 2x12 I have now was MUCH better than the Crate cab I had awhile back. Granted that was only a 1x12 with the same speaker, but I could throw the Randall in a truck without thinking, but the board used on the Crate was a bit thinner and didn't seem as sturdy to just throw around. The Kranks are up there in price because I think they use real mahogany rather than birch or plywood, but I haven't played through one to really hear the difference. The Randall is also kinda cool because it has that mic eliminator feature in the back that's sorta a speaker simulation that sounds great, which makes it a tad more pricey than other 2x12's, but it's not unreasonable either. All in all, if it's just a basic cabinet too, it has a lot to do with the name. Avater cabs are great from what I hear from pros to regulars on the gigging scene, but probably cost less because they don't have a famous brand name stamped on em.

Comment

Originally posted by gold moon soloist
          I have a question about guitar cabs. I have been researching the specs on different guitar cabs, and I have some questions about what makes one cab better than another..

Most of the cabs I have looked at have Celestion Vintage 30's or something similar in them. So other than the name what makes one better/more expensive than another? If I go out and buy a Framus Cobra cab vs. a Carvin Legacy cab, what makes the Framus a few hundred dollars more expensive? Are you paying for the name more than anything else? Is this a case of more expensive not necessarily being better?
          Go by your ears.. not by the cost of the cabinet. The strangest combinations often sound the best.
          Now.. to get a little technical, different wood, different construction methods, different covering. Some cabs are pine plywood, some are multi-ply birch, some are solid pine...
          To answer your direct question between a Carvin Legacy cab and a Framus Cobra cab I would say with pretty much confidence that the Framus is a few hundred dollars more because of:
          #1. The name
          #2. It sells through distribution. Carvin sells direct.
          BTW.. Carvin makes GREAT cabinets.

Comment

i'm sick and tired of the whole cab thing....during the last year i've used almost every cab there is (excluding some less known stuff, like carvin), and i ALWAYS go back to the marshall 1960A/B fullstack loaded with celestion gt75 speakers.
            vintage 30s =

Comment

+1 on carvins. I have an ollllld carvin cab from the 80's that I got from a friend who's brother had died and all of his gear was sitting in storage. The cab is still in excellent condition and I have no doubts about what kind of a beating it can take.

Comment

different woods, contruction methods, speakers, and dimentions all play a huge factor in tone.

framus cobra cabs use poplar with finger joints and 25w greenbacks
                boogie recto cabs use 13ply baltic birtch with dovetail joints with Vin 30's (some partial open backs on other models)
                marshall (now) uses particle board except for the front baffle witch is a thin plywood with G-75T's. they don't sound half as good at the originals.

cab's make such a big difference. open vs. closed back also sound completely different.
                the main 3 different 4x12 sounds come from 25w greenbacks. vin 30's and g-75T's.
                mixing speaker types in a cab has become a trend for acheiving deffernt tones. the quest for tone never ever ends.

if you are looking for a well biuld affordable cab check out www.avatarspeakers.com for around 400 you can get a fully loaded well biuld 2x12 with speakers of your choice.
                Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 04-04-2006, 02:18 PM.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I think the construction and size of the cab have just as much to do with the sound as the speakers do. It's all about air moving around.

Comment

I think the construction and size of the cab have just as much to do with the sound as the speakers do. It's all about air moving around.
                    +1

Dimensions of the cab (i.e. oversized design) , construction - materials like somebody above mentioned and the inner bracing of the cabinet is also important.

Comment

I too think too hard on the issue and feel it's a pissing contest. I've found that size of cabinet and speakers are the main things that effect sound. Straight cabs usually sound bigger than angled, if they have identical speakers.

Comment

Cab design, build quality, front loaded or rear loaded and construction have a lot to do with it, almost as much as speaker selection and whatever amp you are using with it. One cab/speaker will not work with ALL amps, some are better suited for it. I have heard numerous people say the 5150 cab sounds like ass with other amps but works great with the 5150 head

I also agree with using your ears and don't look at costs of a cab or the name thats on the front of it. If its sounds good to your ears when you play through it, its a good cab

My favorite cab is the Bogner 4x12...that seems to work wiht a few different heads. I like old marshall cabs as well. The new Splawn cabs also kick mucho ass.
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel
                          if you are looking for a well biuld affordable cab check out www.avatarspeakers.com for around 400 you can get a fully loaded well biuld 2x12 with speakers of your choice.
                          I would buy an older but beat up and used 4x12 Marshall cab for $400 before I'd buy a new avatar. I see them for around that price a lot here.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                          X