Whats the deal with the B-52 Amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the deal with the B-52 Amps?

Theres a guy in my town who has a AT-100 trimode (i think thats what it's called). The guy has a half stack with the At 412 cab for $600, says it's mint.

AT MF & Harmony central these heads get good ratings, so I was wondering how this amp would rate for playing "melodic metal" as my son calls his style (Pantera, older metallica-like with some Malsteem craziness added in).

My son has yet to pull the trigger on a tube head, thanks to the input here he's setled on the 5150 most likely with a XXX as an option depending on price.

With what the 5150 heads go for he can pick up this half stack and be done. But will he be disappointed in the B-52.

Any help/info is appreciated

Thanks

Well I have both.
    A 5150 combo and the B-52 AT-100 Combo.
    And I like them both very much, but they are very different animals.
    the 5150 is a much more "organic" sounding tube amp. You can get a real good bluesy sound out of it (just turn the gain down and EQ it).
    The B-52 is much "crunchier and more "Recto" sounding. The B-52 also has a stellar clean channel and it's got the "contour" control that let's you scoop the crap out of your mids. So if he's looking for a Dimebag sound it's right there.
    Between the 2 the B-52 is a much more versatile amp, but I can't say which one is better. they are both very good.
    If I was gigging ina rock band I would probably choose the 5150 because it's thicker sounding, if Iwas playing in a fusion band I'd pick the B-52.
    I have done 2 clips one using each amp if you want an idea of how they sound.
    straight mic'ed into an SM57
    http://music.mp3lizard.com/kmanick/

Oh and if you decide on the B-52 I would pass on the cab, they sound much better thru V30's and Greenbacks.
    If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

they stink. get something decent and be satisfied for years.

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa
        they stink. get something decent and be satisfied for years.
        Well, that was a worthwhile post.

Having said that, mine sounds horrible. BUT, it is obviously fucked up, because I've heard several excellent clips from other owners who are very happy with them.

My amp tech who is trying to fix mine, is very impressed with it. He says the design is very well thought out, and well put together.

I would not buy one without trying it first.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

thanks for the infor and help

Comment

I tried a B-52 tube 2x12 combo a few weeks ago. I was pleasently surprised, it was actually pretty good IMO!

Comment

Working...
            X