Fender Super-sonic head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Super-sonic head

Anyone try one of these? Impressions? All the reviews I'm reading say they're high gain ... driven by 6L6s, so ... any truth to this?
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

I tried the combo version at the local GC. I liked both clean voicings but didn't care for the gain channel. It's probably the best fender gain I've heard however. The other guy that was with me said it sounded like a prosonic but more of it. I've never played that one so I don't know if that's true or not. The cleans were really nice. It was a little mushy to me and wasn't what I consider high gain, maybe old school high gain. I guess I just didn't like the voicing. I think my carvin x amp has more gain but didn't do a direct comparison. I a/b'd it with an orange rockerverb 30 combo and a thd flexi head and liked both those better for gain. Did I mention the cleans were really nice?

Comment

Wow, I played one of these, the head version with the 2x12 cabinet, and I thought it sounded raw as hell. The cascading gain definitely went to mega metal, and the ability to switch the cleans from blackface to tweed was way cool. Yes, it was like a prosonic, but much bigger and ballsier. I think they actually attached the bass knob this time....

I think its gonna be a wiener .

Shawn
      Spin the black circle.

[email protected]

Comment

There must have been something wrong with the one I tried then. We all were kind of going 'what the hell is everybody talking about?' It sure wasn't big and ballsy and didn't have that much bass. I'll have to go back and see if they have another we can try since that one was pretty much against everything I've heard about them so far.

Comment

I've seen other reviews that the combo doesn't sound as good as the head unless it's connected to a cab. So maybe that's what's up. My local music store will be getting some in in a few days, so I'll check one out when I get the time.
          My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

I tried a head into a recto 4x12 with vintage 30s (for refrenece, I hate these cabs and speakers). I could live with the SuperSonic, but I am more of a '80s metal, classic rock, blues kind of guy. I could have used a tad more avalible gain, and a tad more fullness in the bottom, other wise a great amp. I would like to try one with greenbacks or G12Hs. The clean channel was really nice IMO too. To my ears the gain channel doesn't sound anything like a ProSonic

Comment

Working...
            X