Amps/cabs for 7-string or low tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps/cabs for 7-string or low tuning

I'm thinking about getting a 7 string but I doubt my amp setup will handle it very well. What are some decent setups on the cheaper side (i.e. less than $1000 total) that have a more modern sound and can handle being tuned to A, Bb, B?

edit: forgot to add, I would like to have something that sounds good at low volume but could play with a band when I need it

Depending on your setup, it should handle it fine. My friend uses his Triaxis/2.90 setup fine with both 6 and 7 string. The only thing I would recommend if your using a rack setup (and only because I had A LOT of fun with this, not because you need it) is getting a VHT or similiar poweramp with the deep switch. It turned the 7 string normal B into a freakin crushing monster!

Comment

Eh my Astroverb is not modern sounding to begin with, looking for something else

Comment

Ah. I dunno man, there's insane amounts of options. What direction are ya looking to go, combo, head and cab, rack? And what kinda tone are ya looking for, death metal, rock, scooped thrash? With a 7 string I would imagine some heavy ass kickin metal tones, but I've been surprised and wrong before.

Just going by what ya said, modern sound and all, a PSA-1 preamp and a good power amp (carvin makes some good stuff) might do. Going used might be a good option too because you can get some higher end stuff cheaper.

Comment

I'm leaning toward a head or rack setup. Looking to do some heavier power metal-ish stuff. Think something like a more straightforward Nevermore

Comment

I actually sent you a PM. I think Nevermore uses Dual Recs, but not sure. But some others here will tell you the PSA-1 is a versitile and good unit. Hopefully someone else could chime in with a few more suggestions.

Comment

Rivera makes a very cool system with a subwoofer cabinet....it will shake your bowels!

Comment

Well I'm going to be honest, the Rivera system sounds like shit with a 7 string, I've tried both the Los LoBottom 1 and 2, and they are very muddy and not defined at all.
                ISP the same company that makes the Decimator pro rack G makes a new 600watt powered sub that Christian Olde Wolbers uses and I'm getting one of those as it sounds amazing and works very well!, just hope your bass player is understanding as you will have a more solid rig then he! haha

I have two rigs, one being an Engl Powerball and a Splawn 4x12 and it is ungodly heavy, and I'm using a Rocktron Prophesy and VHT 2150 for live use, and it works extremely well. just as ballsy!

Just make sure you get the proper pickups and make sure you have ALOT of mids! and use a parametric EQ to shape them, or do what I do, go straight into the ENGL and NOTHING ELSE!

Chris

Comment

Own two 7 string guitars. Ibanez RG7620 and ESP LTD M207.

I have a Marshall DSL50 + 1960A 4x12 cab, a Traynor YCV40 1x12 combo, many pedals and FX... No problem here.

You can play a 7 string with any amps.
                  JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                  Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Rectifiers and the 5150 do a nice job. For cabs.. look at only closed back, high wattage speakers. The Mesa oversized 4 x 12's are nice. A Marshall 1960 loaded with 75w Celestions would be good too.

Comment

actually, i like engl amps for the super low tuned stuff.
                      other than that: 5150, recto, and even some line 6 stuff like the hd 147 or it's predecessor the flextone II HD.

Comment

Mesa Rectifier, Mark IV, or 5150 with a boost upfront for heads, TriAxis/2:90 for rack.

I can't stand Recto cabinets, I'd go with a Marshall styled cabinet with V30's.

I play 7's exclusively, and am a picky fucker. Here's what a Single Recto (Current fav, want a MKIV, tho) can do:

Here's my old 5150, crappier quality, but still pretty damn good, and representative of what it can do:

Comment

Originally posted by DSS3
                          Mesa Rectifier, Mark IV, or 5150 with a boost upfront for heads, TriAxis/2:90 for rack.

I can't stand Recto cabinets, I'd go with a Marshall styled cabinet with V30's.

I play 7's exclusively, and am a picky fucker. Here's what a Single Recto (Current fav, want a MKIV, tho) can do:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=3726229

Here's my old 5150, crappier quality, but still pretty damn good, and representative of what it can do:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=3192316
                          Several of the Marshall cabs loaded with V30's have all done the same thing when I pushed them hard with a 7 string. They all rattled. Some even farted a little.

Comment

I'd say only use the V30s with an oversize cab, like a Recto cab. I prefer the Mesa C90s, though. (I actually use G12K-85s, but they're almost identical to the Mesa C90s). For amps, 5150 or a single/dual/triple Recto will set you up nicely. The 5150 is the cheapest option, and they sound quite good.

Oh, and try here: http://www.sevenstring.org - lots and lots of good info, despite the Ibanez bent.
                            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I just sold my 7 string USA BC Rich Custom V, but also have a Baritone guitar. The biggest thing I found for great sound was finding a cab that could handle the low notes and sound pressure without getting muddy or woofed out. The best cab I found was the Earcandy Buzzbomb 2x12 with Eminence Black Powder & Swamp Thang Speakers. For amps on a budget, I would pick up a SS Crate Shockwave GT3500, which I own and sounds amazing. If you want to drop a bit more on a tube amp, I use the Engl Fireball, which is has a pretty serious grind! Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                              X