No announcement yet.

Amps/cabs for 7-string or low tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My vote is DR, 5150, XXX/Ultra Plus (Loomis used to use them), or something from the Engl camp. I tune my 6's low and have good luck with both the 5150 and the Ultra that I own.

Comment

I ran my 1077XL Ibanez (27" scale 7 string--I tuned it down a whole step) into a number of amps and found a Boogie Mark IV to be a nice fit. Very punchy and tight on the low end...really explosive on the low notes. I have a Mark III now that has a similar tight low end, but never had a chance to try it with the 1077XL (sold it). Not sure you could score a Mark IV for under a grand, but definitely a Mark III.

Comment

Check out rocktron prophesy preamps.....Rusty cooley has been using them for years. Ive got a Digitech 2101 and a Peavey clasic 60 running through a peice of shit ibanez cab with my RR1 tuned to Bb, and it sounds good. A big thing about 7 strings can be the pickups. Make sure you dont have crap in there because thats where the mud starts. If you want a really defined pick attack id go for EMG 707s, a la nevermore. I believe loomis is using Krank now, but he still runs a line 6 POD PRO XT. Another thing, is for the low rhythm stuff many people feel the need to crank up the gain. I find that you can dial it back conciderably (my rhythm on the 2101 is at 2.3 out of 11) and still get a sickening crunch, but you dont lose definition If anyone wants i could post sound clips. Anyway good luck to ya, hope you find a great setup.
        www.soundclick.com/matthewpigott

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
          Several of the Marshall cabs loaded with V30's have all done the same thing when I pushed them hard with a 7 string. They all rattled. Some even farted a little.

While I've never actually used a Marshall cabinet with mine, I've used Boogies, Avatar's, Rivera's, and some off brands. So far, the Avatar has sounded the best (all with V30's), but I didn't have any quality cabinets fart out or rattle on me.

That said, I have a buddy who took a 1960, changed the speakers and wiring, replaced the particle board backing with plywood, and glued foam to everywhere on the inside but the baffle... that thing crushes!

Comment

Originally posted by IrfaanSE801
            I actually sent you a PM. I think Nevermore uses Dual Recs, but not sure. But some others here will tell you the PSA-1 is a versitile and good unit. Hopefully someone else could chime in with a few more suggestions.
            Nevermore uses Krank amps.

Dan

Comment

Well here it is anyway......http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...926KW2DLIXG0E8 My acid words intro riffs no drums.

Comment

DSS3, whered you get the drums for that River dragon cover?.....You program them yourself or you get them cause id love to grab a copy of the backing.

Comment

Programmed myself . I need to work on the mixing, but the overall drum sound is pretty damn good, if I don't say so myself.

Also, Nevermore has only recorded once with Kranks. Everything else was 100% Mesa, besides TGE, which was Mesa and Krank 50/50.

Comment

Working...
                  X