screamin' demon pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screamin' demon pickup

anyone got this in a guitar...hows it sound? i would imagine it would be pretty bright...is it worth it?

Yes; good; not really; I'm not going to part with it anytime soon.

Comment

Have it and love it.
      I can get a range of sound from it.
      Metallica, yes country believe it or not, does classic Van Halen really well, sustains for days with a maple body, senstive to picking notes really stands out, absolute ease of piched and tapped harmonics, yes doing the horsey squeal is effortless,

Bright?
      Granted everbodies ear is different and preference are issues, but this has always puzzled me abit.
      Various people make the comment its a bright sounding pickup.
      In part they are right, the sceamin demon can be a bright pickup.
      Whats baffling to me, I quess they don't know how to turn or adjust their "treble, bass, mid and prescense" knobs to tweak the pickup to the desired sound. Maybe its me, I don't know.

Wood type?
      I recommend maple or alder...won't go wrong with either when using the screamin demon.

I don't plan on giving mine up any where soon either.
      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

yeah ive never tried one, and actually have no idea if it is bright or not its just what a few people have mentioned to me..how would you guys compare it to a jb? i have an SL2H and was considering swapping the bridge, but i wont be botherd if they sound similar...

Comment

It's a great pickup. I played a ESP with one in it( I didn't own it) and I liked it's versitility. I believe it was a George Lynch Guitar.

Duncan also makes a Distortion which is close but alittle different sounding.They both got crazy drive. I wouldn't call it brihgt, I would call it detailed.

It's a good pickup I suggest you have it professionally Installed and play it. If you like Heavy metal tone and need that something extra in your sound, this pickup maybe the ticket. If not try a Duncan Distortion, I like em both about the same.

Dan

Comment

A Duncan Distortion has waaaay more output than a Screamin' Demon. The Demon is essentially a PAF style pickup with a bit more output and low end with attentuated highs...definitely not an inherently bright pickup which is why it works well with brighter sounding tone woods (maple, ash, alder). I have found that it is not such a good match for deeper sounding woods such as mahogany as it can sound dark and/or muddy.
            If you have a soldering iron and an IQ higher than a houseplant, you shouldn't need to have it "professionally" installed...it ain't rocket science or brain surgery.

Comment

yeah i should be good to go with installing it myself as i have done this before to another guitar...how would you compare it to a jeff beck tb4 though... because if its similar i wont even bother...thanks

Comment

people think because of the name its a supee duper high output pickup but it isnt, same with humbucker from hell. I have a couple screamin demons and like them. They add a cool percussive type element that is kinda cool
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I have one in my Charvel Star and I don't like it. Not enough oomph for me! Later on, I'll remove it and sell it here. (it's regular spaced, black).
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

have one in my lynch esp,sounds great but not realy any diferent to my other guitars with other pups

Comment

My ash-body Jackson DR2 had a Screamin' Demon stock in the bridge position, and I could NOT get an acceptable metal tone out of it. I replaced it with a Full Shred and that guitar quickly became my #1 rhythm guitar in the studio. I then installed another Full Shred in my Soloist Pro, which is my main live guitar.

However, the Demon was not a turd by any means. I tried it in a basswood Dinky, and it sounded great! The basswood and ash guitars were worlds apart tonally, and the pickup came alive in basswood. I've had the same experience with the JB.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Inazone
                        The basswood and ash guitars were worlds apart tonally, and the pickup came alive in basswood. I've had the same experience with the JB.
                        This is what many should or need to understand.
                        Different woods have different tone characteristics.
                        Matching the desired pickup with the right wood gives pleasing results.
                        Half the people I've encounter or tried to help with their "pickup quest" has either followed this piece of advice and been very happy with the end result. The idiots that didn't listen, well, their idiots.
                        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap
                          their idiots.
                          Speaking of... it's they're!
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a few guitars with the demon in them . I love this pickup .
                            Oh stick this in your fuse box ..... Bon Scott

Comment

Its basically a JB tone wise a little more versital a little more bottom end.Nice pickup.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X