2X10 vs 1X12 questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2X10 vs 1X12 questions...

For Edinburgh I finally figured out what I was going to do. Since I want to build amps this bad, I'm going to swap out my big Laney I have now for an Ibanez Valbee, mod this one for an external speaker plug, and build/buy a cab. All the amps I'll build will also first be in head format so I can ABY them with a switch.
    The amps I'll get are all likely to be anywhere from 2 to 15W but not much higher I guess. Maybe 22W for a deluxe reverb clone I have in mind. Now about the cab, size is one of the main factors. I'm looking at either a 112 or a 210. Two 10s will move more air than a single 12, and I could use different speakers (A Celestion and Jensen, not sure of the models yet) at different db ratings. Thing is, I don't know how big a 210 usually is, I never saw one. Furthermore, I'd also use it for bedroom level and try to have it so I can use it as open/half open/closed.
    For this use (and keeping it mind it could see live use too, why the heck not?), which would sound better?
    If you need any more info, ask, I don't really know what else to tell... As my styles of music are quite broad and my rig will vary quite a bit.

the bottom cab with 2 speakers is a 2x10. it is about the size of a wide body 1x12.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Ahhh that explains a lot! Thanks.

Comment

the sound is different than a 12, obviously. ummm, the mids are higher, the bass seems lower but less pronounced than with a 12. i like the 2x10 a lot. it is a pretty cool thing. it will not do a super focused low end thumping sound though.

i hope that helps a little more.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I think it'd be a good idea for you to build matching 1x12" and 2x10" cabs, width-wise at least, so you can use them as a stack if you like. Making the 1x12" a little wider would probably improve the bass response.

Also, some cabs, like the Legacy 212s, allow the user to remove the back panel for the open sound. Maybe you could go further on your 2x10" and have a panel for each speaker, with a wood divider to make it in effect 2 1x10" cabs within the same enclosure. I am no expert at all, but have seen many different setups over the years.

Also, with low-watt tube amps, a caveat: They can seem pretty damn loud pushing a 4x12 cab, in a room by yourself. Bring in a drummer though, and listen to your sound disappear. There's only so much 5 tube watts can do...
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'm a drummer And there's no way I could ever bring any of my rig anywhere, it'd only be bedroom.

Comment

Working...
            X