Big Muff Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Muff Pi

I went to Guitar center today looking for a Marshall Guv'nor pedal. I wanted to try one before I buy. They don't carry them. So while I was talking to the guy I spotted a Big Muff.

I had one in the seventies ( I'm dating my self....wait...that didn't sound right!...lol). So I bought it thinking it would be good for lead and maybe if I played with the settings I could get a good different rhythm sound.

It doesn't compare with the stock tube sound of my Peavey Ultra amp. For lead or rhythm. I tried it through a clean channel and it was ok but not great. Also tried it on my medium gain channel - amp's a 3 channel- it was again ok but not anything to write home about. Then on high gain it was too noisey but then again on that high of a gain an overdrive isn't necessary.

I did find out that if I plugged it through the loop it sucked tone. So I used it in front and was not as bad. It just sounds processed like the amp and pedal mods on my GT6.

I'm not knockin the pedal. I'm sure most players love it. It's just not for me. I think I'm gonna take it back and go to another store I know of and try that Guv'nor- peace, bob

I love muffs (huh huh, I said muff); but they're fuzz pedals, not overdrive/distortion; and nothing like the guvnor. If you're not specifically looking for a fuzz, then it's no surprise it was disappointing

Comment

Sounds like you just don't like the jagged wave-form of fuzz.

Comment

Originally posted by yabba
        I love muffs (huh huh, I said muff); but they're fuzz pedals, not overdrive/distortion; and nothing like the guvnor. If you're not specifically looking for a fuzz, then it's no surprise it was disappointing

I knew it was nothing like the Guv'nor when I bought it. I used to have one. The thing is I get better sounding lead sound with just my amp.

I'm in the process of switching from a processor to individual stomp boxes. Any suggestions? I've always liked Boss stuff.

Comment

One of my favorite distortion pedals of all time is the Zoom Driver 5000. Truly an awesome, very underrated pedal.

Comment

Working...
          X