My new amp rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new amp rig

I built this rig just for occassional home jams and get togethers and it sounds much better than I even expected.

4 rms soft roadcase
    Marshall 8004 Valvestate preamp
    Ross 31 band EQ
    Middle Atlantic rack mount power supply
    Boss GT-6

I tried it through several cabinets all wired in mono. (I have to go mono because the Ross 31 band EQ isn't stereo.
    Randall open back 2 x 12 8 ohms
    Randall closed back 2 x 12 16 ohms
    Mesa 3/4 back 1 x 12 80 ohms

For a small total SS rack system, I am very surprised how loud the Marshall 8004 is.
    I can go from whisper quiet bedroom tone to absolutely loud enough to gig with a drummer and the tone is good throughout.
    I attribute this to the Boss GT-6 which is a stellar modeler/processor.
    I did notice that without the 31 band EQ I had a pretty difficult time adjusting the patches on the GT-6 so sound good. With the 31 band engaged it was a piece of cake. It makes the entire rig sound more live and real.
    I dialed in probably one of the best Lynch lead tones I have ever gotten using the stock GT-6 Fat Strat program and adding a second delay using FX-2. The 31 band EQ is set up as a typical smiley face.

Anyway, this review is more for the Marshall 8004 power amp.
    You can score one pretty cheap. I also had a Rocktron Velocity 100.
    The Marshall 8004 is just as loud and it sounds better. The Velocity 100 was pretty nice too.

Regarding cabinet selection, when you are using an SS power amp you really need to make sure you match the ohmage of the amp to the speakers. The Marshall 8004 has 8 ohm outputs and the 8 ohm cabs sound 10 times better than the 16 ohm cabs because the amp can drive them properly.

I have a Valvestate 8008 in my little rack, currently with a Kitty Hawk Quattro and an ADA MP1, hush IICX, Furman and I may put my BBE in there. just need to get a cheap fx unit and I'm set. Oh, and I'll have to put it in my 6 space rack then.

Ditto on the valvestate power amps, they sound great and are one space. Mine was heavier than I thought it would be, which is good. They seem to be built to last.

Pete

Comment

Yea Pete, I was surprised at the weight of the 8004. Its pretty heavy for a 1rms SS power amp!
      The 8004 is only 40w per side and it doesn't have volume controls but I just use the Boss GT-6 output level to control everything.
      The 8004 certainly is built well. Either that... or the chassis is made out of lead.

I have 1 RMS left in my rack and I am thinking about throwing in a rack mounted wireless. That would be totally convenient when I need to run free.
      Last edited by jgcable; 04-10-2006, 10:43 AM.

Comment

i have the same valvestate poweramp that Pete has there in his lil rack-been as good as gold for about 12 years,and survived a few big falls.Its in retirement now in a a drawer with other gear.The last time i used it(before christmas)its volume was fluctuating when spanked hard and the volume pots were eratic to say the least!lol..i might get her a service or buy another(whatever is cheaper)good poweramps

Comment

i have the same valvestate poweramp that Pete has there in his lil rack-been as good as gold for about 12 years,and survived a few big falls.Its in retirement now in a a drawer with other gear.The last time i used it(before christmas)its volume was fluctuating when spanked hard and the volume pots were eratic to say the least!lol..i might get her a service or buy another(whatever is cheaper)good poweramps

Comment

The pots and jacks on Valvestate series products tend to get dirty. Before you spend money on a teck, buy a can of contact cleaner, remove the top panel, and clean the shit out of the pots and jacks. Might cost you $10, whatever that is in British pounds. It can't hurt, and may very well solve your problem. I always keep a can because something's always getting scratchy. Don't spray it on your nads though!
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

The pots and jacks on Valvestate series products tend to get dirty. Before you spend money on a teck, buy a can of contact cleaner, remove the top panel, and clean the shit out of the pots and jacks. Might cost you $10, whatever that is in British pounds. It can't hurt, and may very well solve your problem. I always keep a can because something's always getting scratchy. Don't spray it on your nads though!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

what if i want to spray it on my nads! It Will stop them getting scatchy(0-o)
                yeahh your right on the money mate,when i get the time i will clean the bastard(poweramp)lol.thanks

Comment

Working...
                X