anyone have a epiphone valve junior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have a epiphone valve junior?

these are currently being blown out by musiciansfriend for $100.
    they seem to be all the rage with modders and alot of people on the other boards are raving about them.
    anyone here have one?
    any comments?

Not enough sound options from one. Could be a cool sounding amp, but for what music eh? I'd need at least an EQ, a Distortion and a boost for it. It does sound good stock but not for my type of music.

Comment

That might just be the idea - use it as a power amp for a POD or a pedal board. It sounds like what you were looking for pott, a cheap, small portable tube amp.

Comment

It'd be ok if you kept it down. The lack of controls and gain knob would induce preamp distortion as well as poweramp later on as you turn the volume up. It's not the best idea for a transparent poweramp

Comment

i was reading some forums and supposedly it does a great classic rock tone after some simple mods. supposedly, some people can even nail down an early vh type tone with a boost pedal in front.

Comment

Originally posted by data187
            i was reading some forums and supposedly it does a great classic rock tone after some simple mods. supposedly, some people can even nail down an early vh type tone with a boost pedal in front.
            The Crate VC508 can do the same thing.

Comment

yeah but can it do it for $99

Comment

yeah but can it do it for $99
                It can used.

Comment

Well, you'd want the Valve Junior head,. not the combo. The head has filaments so the tubes don't hum, the combo doesn't and there's complaints about that hum. Also, with the head you can plug into a sealed 1x12" or even 4x12" cab for a punchier sound with tighter bass.

For $99 new and 4, 8 and 16-ohm speaker outs, you can't beat it for a low-power tube head. Not in the market myself, I'll just run my 60-watt Peavey through my attenuator. But it's still a cool idea and word is that it's well-built. One 12AX7 and one EL84. I'd agree it'd be great with a POD or similar and a 1x12" cab, compact and power tube distortion at low volume. You're not gonna like it for thrash or death metal but as was said, with a boost you could go up to early VH territory. So if you can get that in your living room, for say $250 by the time you buy a used 1x12" cab and a SD-1 or Tube Screamer, that's not bad at all.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

i couldn't resist, i pulled the trigger on the head.
                    tone report to come when it arrives

Comment

i couldn't resist, i pulled the trigger on the head.
                      tone report to come when it arrives
                      Let us know for sure!
                      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I have a Valve Junior head. I like it a lot. It doesn't do metal but does classic rock and blues nicely. For $99 (the price of a stomp box) I had to try one. It is one loud 5 watts. I run it thru G-Flex 2X12 or my TSL 2X12 cab. This amp has explained to me what the term "touch sensitive" means. It also showed me why there is a volume knob on a guitar.
                        RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                        CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                        Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                        Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Got one coming and I will mod it heavily.....
                          Damn this is an expensive hobby.....

Comment

Plus 1 on the modding. I am going to try modding mine.
                            RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
                            CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
                            Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
                            Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Working...
                            X