George Lynch Time Machine Boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Lynch Time Machine Boost

I just bought a used one, should be here tomorrow. Anyone else own or have played through one? I'm kinda curious.

http://www.timemachineboost.com/AboutGL.htm

Pete

I haven't but I will be waiting for your review.

Comment

It looks cool, doesn't it? A guitar center about 100 miles from me has a TON of keeley pedals... since he's an okie also, and one of them they have is the time machine boost (non lynch version). If I dig this pedal at all, I'll probably go down there and compare them. Kinda pricey (list on the Lynch was $399, and they were wired point to point - 7 hours construction each) but they quit making them, so I may hold onto it as a collectible. I am going to slam that little marshall with it first though!

Pete

Comment

I have one. #51 I believe, point to point wiring, all the good stuff. Nice pedal that I just haven't used much. I'll prolly be letting it go soon as I am going to try and get into some rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by NunoSoWylde
          I have one. #51 I believe, point to point wiring, all the good stuff. Nice pedal that I just haven't used much. I'll prolly be letting it go soon as I am going to try and get into some rack stuff.
          So what's it sound like? From reading stuff on the net, sounds like it's pretty low gain/boosty stuff. Are there any other boost or drive pedals you're using instead of it? If so, why?

Pete

Comment

I haven't really used it (I really get on these pedal/equipment/guitar buying binges and then I don't use 3/4 of what I buy). I tried it out a couple of times last year but with my current environment it's really difficult for me to plug in and play, I usually get stuck practicing unplugged. So to be honest I don't really remember. I will try to find some time within the next few days to try her out again. I also have a couple of the Keeley modded pedals (Tube screamer, blues driver, metal zone, compressor) all also collecting dust. I just purchased an ada mp-1 with the 200 watt amplifier that I still got to find time to try out
            Last edited by NunoSoWylde; 04-13-2006, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I tried the original TMB at a store up here in Maine. They also carry a few of the Keeley pedals and other high end type pedals.
              It seems to work the best with a master vol. equited tube amp. Very little boost in some modes but quite natural sounding.
              I was looking for a pedal to boost the front end of an old Ampeg V2 and a couple of old Traynor Bass Master heads but the TMB didn't give the gain I wanted so I tried a Tonebone "Hot British" 12AX7 tube distortion pedal thur a reissue Marshall Super Lead Plexi into a Marshall "Vintage" 4x12 cab.
              OMFG!!!, this is a "MUST HAVE" pedal for anyone with a non master vol. type tube amp!! Everything from overdrive to metal distortion with full clairity and no loss of low end, mids or highs with the built in EQ.

Comment

I had one, used on the Mr Scary side as the 60's / 70's mode didn't do much for me....

The Keeley Katana is basically (near exact..) the Mr. Scary side and exactly the right side of the regular TMB. In the end I figured out it was clean or germanium boost I was looking for. So I got an Xotic RC Boost..that was cool until it grated my ears...now it's back to a newer version OCD....

So, while the TMB was really cool, only one side worked out for me, and I couldn't justify having that much $ tied up in a one trick pony, although I gladly tie up way too much money in one trick pony amps

BTW - I'm pretty sure those pedals are still in regular production - just on PCB's and no longer hand wired.

Steve E

Comment

Originally posted by speed monkey
                  I had one, used on the Mr Scary side as the 60's / 70's mode didn't do much for me....

The Keeley Katana is basically (near exact..) the Mr. Scary side and exactly the right side of the regular TMB. In the end I figured out it was clean or germanium boost I was looking for. So I got an Xotic RC Boost..that was cool until it grated my ears...now it's back to a newer version OCD....

So, while the TMB was really cool, only one side worked out for me, and I couldn't justify having that much $ tied up in a one trick pony, although I gladly tie up way too much money in one trick pony amps

BTW - I'm pretty sure those pedals are still in regular production - just on PCB's and no longer hand wired.

Steve E
                  You might find an new old stock one, but they are not being made anymore, according the the keeley website. I don't think they ever made a PCB lynch pedal, just the regular ones. The PCB regular models are real easy to spot - they are a little bigger and have the 'warp' switch.

Pete

Comment

Cool. Cant wait for you to get it so we can hear about it. Post a clip too!

Comment

I tried one out for a while but passed on it. It does very little until you really crank the amp a bit. It was a decent boost but I thought it paled compared to my Z Vex SHO. THere are definitely better ways to spend that kind of money.
                      I saw Lynch a few months back and he didn't even have one on his pedal board.

Comment

Just got it, very interesting. Haven't had a chance to plug it in (I'm at work) but the thing looks like some voodoo death pedal. Might put it on my board just for the mojo. Wish I had a screwdriver at work, I'd open her up and take a peek. Don't know how many they made, mine is #017.

From what I've heard, it's not much of a firebreather on it's own, but can also be used to push other pedals too. May try it like that behind one of my custom tube screamers I'm building...

Pete

Comment

Man I got so much more to learn. All these cool ass pedals. I wonder what something like this would do for me??? My amp got crazy drive and attack, is it to help amps out that don't?? Could you use something like this on a high gain amp? I don't need anymore gain but I'm willing to try out things.

I can back up the Tonebone Hot British, I owned it for awhile and it's a really cool pedal. You have mad flexibility in it. It's alot better then most other Distortion type pedals I used.

Dan
                          Last edited by mantis; 04-16-2006, 07:57 AM.

Comment

For anyone looking, the TMB is awesome, but pricey. I personally thought the Modern side was the best clean boost I have ever heard. Boosted better than any clean I have used as well as any tube screamer type pedal set to boost. However, if you like rangemasters and other germanium boosts, the TMB is actually a value! I used to have a JAva Boost, and I think the Vintage side is just as nice as the Java....so you get the whole thing for just a bit more than only getting the Java or the Katana. That being said, I just got a Fulltone GT500 on trade...I havent compared yet, but the boost side of the GT seems very much like the Modern side of the TMB. In fact, they both use JFET rather then Opamp....and you can get a GT for $200 where the TMB is nearly $300. So if the comparison works out as well as I think it will, those who are jonesin' for a TMB or a Katana, might want to go with Fulltone, even if your just gonna use the boost side...and save significant $$.

Comment

Back from the dead!!
                              This space for rent

Comment

Working...
                              X