Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Running a floor modeler (pod, boss, etc.) through the effects loop of a tube amp ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a floor modeler (pod, boss, etc.) through the effects loop of a tube amp ...

I'm considering getting a modeler and was wondering how these things sound going through the effects loop. I'll be getting the Carvin MTS3212 combo shortly, and I was thinking about adding on some effects. I'd like to use a modeler just for the ease of having one unit, but I'm not after distortion or amp models or cab models ... just the effects and the tuner. Does this seem like a good idea? Buying the pedals separately and building or buying a pedal board, etc., would be a lot more expensive, and most of those single effects are digital anyway.

So, has anyone tried this ... running a podxt or gt-8 or something similar into the effects loop and just using it for effects? On the Carvin, I can't turn the effects loop off, which means I'd have to be able to turn the modeler off (bypass it) somehow ... I'm not sure if that can be done.

Thanks for the responses.
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Yep, I use a pod xt live for my delay/choruses. works great, you can turn off the amp/cab modelling.

Pete

Comment

I use my trusty old Boss GT-5 with the 4-cable method going into my ENGL Fireball, works really well.
      That way I have everything I want, the ENGL preamp for distortion and the whole effects section at my disposal, tuner and noise gate included.

For my clean sounds I set my patches with the GT-5 loop off, so the preamp of the Fireball is out of the chain and the GT-5 goes direct into the power amp. This way I can access all possible sound combinations by stepping on only one of the buttons; I don't have to turn the ENGL to clean separately.
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Cool. So, on the pod xt live, there is a guitar input and 2 outputs (one mono).

How would I set this up exactly?

I would think I would ...

a) plug the guitar directly into the amp
        b) use the pod xt live's input and mono output jacks through the amp's effects loop

Would this be correct? If so, will I be able to use the tuner in a live setting, or would the guitar need to be plugged directly into the pod xt live for tuner access (which would mean my guitar signal would also bypass the preamp tubes ... which wouldn't be a good thing, right?)

Also, is there a way to truly bypass any and all effects on the pod xt live ... ie, turn off delay, chorus, flanger, etc. so that I'm using nothing but the Carvin (being that I can't turn off the effects loop itself). Or would I simply have to select clean patch on the pod xt in order for there to be no effects at a given moment?

Comment

XTlive output to effects return on your amp. Plug your guitar into the XTlive input. Thats it.

Personally, I think the G-Major would be a better choice. It will also channel switch your MTS.

Comment

If you are looking at the pod just for effects in the loop of an amp I would look at something else. I like my pod but that use is probably what it's worst at. If you get it for other things and use it for that because you already have it that's one thing but I wouldn't get it for that to be it's sole use. Using it as a preamp straight into the fx return bypassing your amps preamp however is another story, that works very well. Since getting the pod I started using it for loop effects because I had it but have since gone back to pedals for the loop effects when using my amps pre.

Comment

I run the guitar into the amp, pod XTL through the loop. Max the gain on the pod XTL (there is a small pot for this) and turn off all cab and amp sims. One thing I like about using this for effects: It's a built in 'oh shit' rig. If my JSX blows up, I can plug guitar into XT and then from XT direct to PA, and use my other set of presets there.

It sounds great through my JSX, no complaints. I am thinking of doing a pedalboard though with a TC or Fulltone Chorus and a tap tempo delay pedal.

Pete

Comment

I have tried every effects rig. Pods, stomp boxes, etc...
                The TC Electronics G-Major and a decent midi controller foot pedal is the best solution I have ever used.

Comment

Too many people recommend that g-major for it not to be just a great device. I really want to try one but I have to stop acquiring stuff for a while or the wife will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper
                    Too many people recommend that g-major for it not to be just a great device. I really want to try one but I have to stop acquiring stuff for a while or the wife will kill me.

The reason the G-Major is recommended so much is because its great.

With a G-Major in the loop and a decent foot controller you can have:

Tons of stackable studio quality effects
                    Tons of presets
                    Parametric EQ
                    Solo boost (the presets are all set at -6db from the factory, all you do is bump them up to 0db and you will have boost). Its a very slick feature
                    You can channel switch your amp via midi (up to 2 different latching switches!!)
                    Tuner
                    noise reduction
                    Because the controller is midi you can assign the footswitches to do anything you want.

Keep in mind.. the G-Major does not have a wah nor does it have an acoustic simulator. Those are the only 2 items that I could think of that it doesn't have.
                    I use a G-Major and a DMC foot controller with my Soldano and I couldn't be happier. Its a fantastic effects processor made specifically for guitar.

Comment

G-major looks good, but I can't afford it as well as the midi (they all look to be several hundred dollars), as well as a rack. I'm just looking for something quick and cheap. (probably no such thing, right?)

I think I might have found a solution. I searched and searched and searched over at Musician's Friend. I finally settled on just getting a few Boss Pedals. I just want a few effects, so all these processors are just too much, I guess. The POD XT Live, Boss GT-8, etc. ... they've all got too many banks, too many buttons, etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this world who doesn't need amp modeling, cab modeling, etc. So, I figured pedals were the way to go ... of course, the price was an issue again (those pedals can add up).

And then I saw the ME-50. Yes, it's a processor, but it's rather simple. It may have lot's of stomp boxes and lot's of banks, but it has no amp models, cab models, etc. It's basically an overdrive, modulator, delay, and expression pedal rolled into one. Of course, you can add sustain, reverb, and tone to the various effects. And it's got a tuner to.

Can't say for sure if any of this will work, but I went ahead and ordered the ME-50 along with the Boss AB-2 selector pedal and a 1/4" 2-to-1 adapter. I can plug my guitar into the AB box, then the AB box into the adapter and into the ME-50. I can send a line from the AB box to the input on my amp and use the remaining 14" plug-in on the adapter to go to the effects loop along with the ME-50's line out. This will allow me to switch the signal path coming from my guitar between my amp and the ME-50, so when I need the tuner, I can switch easily (plus, it'll bypass my amp at that point). Pretty cool, eh. I figure this would be a cool way to run the POD XT Live as well, but again, I don't need the amp models and all that jazz.

I also found a cheap pedal board on MF to hold the ME-50, the AB box, my Carvin FS22, and an AC adapter. The board itself comes with a power supply and a power strip.

And what's cool is I got all of this for about $15 more than what I would have paid for the POD XT Live alone.

It's all on order, so I'll let you know how it sounds with the Carvin once it all comes in and I've played with it. My biggest concern is that the ME50 won't take to the Carvin's effects loop too well, or perhaps the 1/4" adapter and AB box won't work like I think it will. We'll see ... I have 30 days to try everything out.

Comment

Working...
                      X