Possible new rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible new rig

A neighbor of mine is going to be moving and is looking to sell me his amp setup. I played through it about 2 months ago when I went to his house to buy his motorcycle (a Kawa ZRX1200, very nice). He has a Wolfgang Standard I played through it and it sounded F*CKING AWESOME! Now he and the wife are moving and he is offering me first crack at it before it goes to the bay. I'm going to list the pieces and would appreciate if anyone that has experience with them could reply with a good price and opinions :
    Engl 620 pre-amp:

Mesa 50/50 power amp:

2 2x12 Carvin cabs (vertical):

I've only played through it the one time but it left an impression on me. It's one of those times when you just hit that first chord and get that funny feeling in your pants -lol. The Engl sounded incredible (I'm sure the 50/50 helped) and I like the idea of having 2 vertical cabs. I could separate them (that's how he has it setup) and run in stereo, or put them next to each other and make a it like a 4x12. I'm not sure what model the cabs are, or even what speakers are in them, but they sounded good. Plus, it would be easier to move than a full 4x12 cab. This would also be my first try at a rack setup, so that interests me too. I will definitely take some of my guitars over to play through it before I would buy but it really comes down to price - at least for the wife
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

If those cabs are the 200 watt cabs with the fuzzy carpet instead of tolex I've played through them and they are nice cabs. The speakers are carvin br12 which are copies of celestion g12m70 I think made by eminence. They sound good and are built really well. I still have a 4x12 of the same series. If they are the really old tolex ones with white rings around the speakers they will have the HE (high energy) which are basically pa speakers and don't sound quite as good but are still built very well. Newer then the carpet series had either ev, carvin, or celestion speakers. All the carvin cabs are well built but I haven't played them, if it's a good price I'd take 'em anyway I wish I had bought 2 2x12s instead of my 4x12 way back when.

Comment

Here is what I would offer him considering he wants to dump the gear because he is moving.

$250.00 for the Engl
      $400.00 for the Mesa
      $125.00 each tops for the cabinets

For the entire rig including roadcase and cabinets I would offer him a total of $800.00
      Without the cabs I would offer him $600.00

Thats a nice rig BTW...

Comment

Well I'll play through it with my guitars and make sure I definitely want to go for it. Then if the wife gives the ok (which would probably involve selling some stuff), I'll offer him 8 bills. I wish I had sold my Avatar cab instead of trading it for a Crate combo, I'll be lucky to get $200 for it.

JG - I got the wah yesterday but didn't get a chance to try it yet.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Working...
        X