No announcement yet.

Framus Cobra - first impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

btw. I kinda liked the tone one the last Pantera album... Reinventing the Steel, I'm not a fan on super scooped sound but on that album it was pretty massive and punchy unlike on their previous albums.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

ok, I listened to the rocksolidamps clips....
      overall, definetly not my thing,
      it does the chunka-chunka thing very well, it sounds pretty clear too
      compared to the Recto it sounds tighter but Recto has more low end and is overall way more massive and in your face.
      But those are just clips, I have to try it myself to be able to judge
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle
        yep, it has shitloads of mids - with the notch disengaged, that is. with the notch engaged it's scoop-o-rama not unreminiscent of pantera i personally hate that sound, although some might like it, namely death metal heads and pantera freaks

"i'd say the cobra doesn't sound like either a marshall or a recto, but is closer to a tighter, brighter, more midrangey recto."
        after a second thought, it's actually quite similar to a boogie mark III with the EQ engaged.
        Sounds like a great amp. I bet it sounds alot like the Stiletto. I think that Jim's (Sambencuda) Stiletto sounds alot like a Mark III with the EQ engaged. The more I think about it.. the more I love that amp. I'll own one someday. Its the perfect amp for the player who wants a ballsy Marshall and loves the way a Mark III sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik
          btw. I kinda liked the tone one the last Pantera album... Reinventing the Steel, I'm not a fan on super scooped sound but on that album it was pretty massive and punchy unlike on their previous albums.
          Thats all studio shit. It's never a good idea to judge an amp tone by what it sounds like on a record. I gotta hear it live or recorded straight up with no mastering or mixing before I can make any determination.

Comment

dude, I don't even know what amp(s) Dime used on that album
            Last edited by Endrik; 04-22-2006, 12:17 PM.

Comment

"it does the chunka-chunka thing very well, it sounds pretty clear too
              compared to the Recto it sounds tighter but Recto has more low end and is overall way more massive and in your face."

agreed, minus the low end comment. i'd say the cobra has about 50% more low end than a 5150.

Comment

I'm such a fucking bitch, I only like a couple of amps anyway

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                  Thats all studio shit. It's never a good idea to judge an amp tone by what it sounds like on a record. I gotta hear it live or recorded straight up with no mastering or mixing before I can make any determination.
                  AMEN Brother!!

You can polish a turd (Krank) in the studio with the right tools and Andy Sneap..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Cobra's and Recto's sound nothing alike. I sold my Recto to a friend. We played at a party together and you couldn't have 2 more different sounding amps. I hear you on the massiveness of a Recto. I don't like them but they always seem very up front in the mix. I think a 5150 and a Cobra share some of the same characteristics with the Cobra being clearer and quieter.

Comment

I know the Uber doesn't sound like the Recto or a 5150..

To me it sounds like a better version of both combined..sorta.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

"I hear you on the massiveness of a Recto. I don't like them but they always seem very up front in the mix."
                        that's interesting. they do indeed sound really massive in a live setting, and most of the times when a band has a (imo) really crushing guitar sound it turns out to be a properly dialed recto. especially when both guitar players are using a recto.
                        however, i disagree with the up front comment. from a listeners perspective, you can always *feel* the sound of a recto, but from my experience you can only *hear* what the recto dude is doing if he's a) the only guitar player in that band or b) the other one is also using a recto.
                        example: god dethroned. rhythm guitar player uses a recto, the lead man a 5150. when they did soundcheck, the recto sounded GREAT, and the 5150 sounded harsh and thin. however, when the whole band was playing, the 5150 cut through clearly with a lot of definition, whereas the recto did nothing but adding mud to the mix.

Comment

dude you need to see some other bands I dunno what those evil metalmen do with their amps

I've seen Fusion players with Rectos, they are so up front

Comment

I guess it depends on the Player...Jeff Loomis sounded best with his Recto...he cut thru like a knife with it..

That Krank was the worst tone I heard from Jeff..his rythm was complete mud but his leads cut thru..

Jeff's rythms were crisp and clear as a bell with the recto as were his solos!!

I seen Jeff with 5 different rigs and his Recto sounded best!

I had a Recto..I hated it..we just didn't get along...but some guys do fine with them!!

Comment

Working...
                            X