Mesa durability question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa durability question

So i was waiting for a pizza today and stepped into the pawn shop next door to see a single rectoverb for a rediculously low price, but the handle and vinyl looked like they'd taken a beating (the chassis looked dusty, but not beat). I don't really care about cosmetics, so i plan on doing some funds juggling and going back to try for a test drive. The store didn't have any cabs or worthwhile guitars so if/when i do test it i'll get to do it with my rig, and plan on giving it a good looking over (hopefully on the inside) before firing it up. The only guy i've ever known that had a mesa, well the thing popped a tube while i was leaning over it tuning up for him (man that smells bad). So my question is does anybody here think they can take a beating? what would be most likely to break and what should i look at as far as likely damage spots? thanks guys

My old Single Recto was built like a fucking tank.

The most common problems I hear though are fuses blowing because people don't take care of the tubes, or turn them on without a cab plugged in (can blow output tranny), etc... typical stuff kids will do at GC to fuck amps up. That one should be fine, I'd say. If it powers up and the tubes glow, you should be good to go!

Comment

+1 on Mesa amps. I have a Single Recto currently, and used to have an F50, Triaxis, and a 20/20 poweramp. All reaked of quality, and I'd never experienced any reliability problems, except for a few microphonic preamp tubes which has nothing to do with build quality.

I have nothing but good things to say about all their gear, including their cabinets. The stuff will cost ya, but you get what you pay for.

If the price is right, I'd scoop it up!

Comment

Mesa is the shit. I've got an 83 Mark IIC, and a 2001(I think 01, may be 02) triple recto. Great amps, no problems on durability (I've got road cases for both though, and I take care of my shit).

Comment

Loading my triple rectifier into a club one night... it's on top of the cab and we're rolling it in. The cab tips over, the head bounces on the concrete a few times, and the tubes are rolling down the sidewalk. I go get the tubes (how none of those broke I don't know) and put them back in the amp. Put the amp on top of the cab and finish rolling it in to the club.

Turned it on, and everything worked perfectly.

I have no question that everything Mesa is built like a tank.
          ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

Mesa gear is very durable. BUY IT.

Comment

+1 more... I've owned several pieces of Mesa gear over the years, and they all took plenty of abuse and never failed to work fine. They are at least as rugged as old blackface Fenders, and those things are almost indestructable.

Comment

I 2nd all what they said BUY IT!

Comment

If it's the right price, Go for it!
                  I own two old Dual Rectos.(under serial# 500) and they are absolutely the
                  best amp heads I own. Mesa makes great stuff!

Comment

I friend of mine had his Triple Recto tipped off of his oversized cab and nothing happed to aside of a small scratch. He took it in to a repair guy just to make sure everything was okay before firing it and the tech said nothing was wrong with it.
                    Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Mesa used to have the pic in their catalog of the Mark II combo that fell off an equipment truck while it was driving - the cab was destroyed, the chassis was all beat up, but they put tubes in it, plugged into a cab and fired it up and it sounded fine. Owning their gear, I believe it - unless you do something impedence/tube stupid with them, the damn things are indestructable.

I've seen a Recto get a full Arizona iced tea bottle dumped in it while it was on, too - he had to replace the fuse and some tubes, but it fired up fine after that.
                      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Funny - despite my just saying it would've survived a bomb... check out what UPS did to it today - upon arrival at the buyers house:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Oh yeah, the amp still works fine. The cabinet is just fucked.

Comment

There have been a few small cases of bugs with Mesa amps (the first Road King, for example, had some problems in early runs). By and large, though, they feature some seriously bulletproof design and can handle all manner of abuse. My '86 Mark III is running full bore on the original tubes with no issues. In the event that you do need to service it, the Boogie folks are really good people and will get your amp back right zippy.

Comment

Dude why TH were you using UPS?
                            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

LOL Fedex/USPS wanted like 25 more to ship this for some reason... All carriers have their fuckups, this is the first time in 5 years I've had a problem with UPS.

Comment

Working...
                              X