B-52 cabs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-52 cabs??

How is the quality of the cabs and does anyone know where they are made? I'm looking for a Celestion V-30 4x12 and the one they offer would save me a few hundred over the Marshall or Mesa cabs.

IIRC they are made in China. Avoid.

Get a Marshall if you're looking used, Avatar if new.
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks Ron! I'll have to look into Avatar, I've never heard of them.

Comment

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Check 'em out, well known for quality & customer service.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I picked up the cheaper version 4x12 B52 cab when I needed one cheap. Its behind a JCM900 through Boss effects and that cheap little cab has NO PROBLEM handling what I can throw at it... kinda surprised me actually.

Now ofcourse, its definatley not the best cab out there and doesent sound like $1,000,000, but for the price I think theyre pretty damn good.

Construction wise, its build pretty good. The metal edge caps are a little flimsy, but remember I got the cheap one too. Id say you could drop it out of a pickup and itll be just fine (ask me how I know, lol).
          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I'll chime in here. Our 2nd guitarist (who used to own a mesa trip rec rig) now owns a VHT Pitbull with matching cab. I own a B52 400watt cab. He used my cab over last weekend as I couldnt make practice, and he lives 2 hours away, he asked if he could just use mine instead of hauling his down in his Celica. Of course, I obliged. He traded his VHT for the B52 cab straight up at GC in MI after he got home from practice the next day.

As a side note, mine is the closed back model, he traded for the ported model, not sure of the difference, as I said, I didnt make last practice.

My personal opinion, as RobRR said, it can handle anything you throw at it, and in my experience, sound good handling it.

I plan on using mine with my Vetta when it arrives, hopefully it will continue to impress.
            www.myspace.com/madeaband
            www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

I got one of these compact Crate 4x12s last year. They're actually rated at 120w and not 100w like MF states. The St. Louis Music/Crate speakers are actually pretty good, and you get a metal grill. I bought mine when they were on sale for $249. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...mps?sku=487711
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

They look very simple, I like that!! The reviews on MF aren`t all that good for them, but you know how that goes sometimes. One guy said they aren`t that good loud, is that true? Thanks-Jack.

Comment

My band practices very loud. My drummer has his kick and snare going thru a 2000 watt PA system just to be heard. So, my only opinion on this cab is from playin it loud

In all fairness, there are a ton of factors in what forms a "good" sound. Some people might just not have the right pups, some the wrong head, some the wrong technique, and some might just not be adept at dialing a tone in.

I believe that if you start with a decent amp, a decent cab, some headroom, and a little patience and technique, you might be surprised with what you can make your rig sound like.

As far as the MF reviews go, (or any reviews for that matter) I havent checked this theory, but I would be inclined to *guess* that there are bad reviews of "world class" equipment in there if ya look hard enough.
                  www.myspace.com/madeaband
                  www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Hey, I have an Avatar 412 cab with V30s, it sounds great, is very durable, and I'd definitely put money out for another when I get the chance. The company is very friendly; and the quality is superb. Worth looking into.

Cheers,
                    Nick

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far guys! Looks like the Avatars are out because they don't offer switchable stereo/mono, it's either one or the other. I need stereo for my Vetta, but would like to keep my options open in case I buy a tube head.

Comment

Working...
                      X