Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

running a digitech 2120 w/ 5150 good idea or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running a digitech 2120 w/ 5150 good idea or no?

i have a digitech 2120 and crate power amp (thanks moswhitz!) and right now im pretty satisfied with the way things are going. Before this i was using a peavey 5150 for a head, and now its currently collecting dust. I would like to try using the 5150 and digitech 2120 in conjunction with one another, but however i have no clue how to do this.

I would like to use the 5150 as the main basis of sound, so would i run the 2120 through the effects loop?

any help at all would be greatly appreciated
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

2120 and 5150 have very similar names.

Based on that alone, my professional opinion is that they will sound great together

Comment

I dunno that's like 7270 all together, sounds like a lot.

Haha, I just visualized the giant amp scene from Back to the Future.
      |My CSG gallery|
      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

I can think of 2 possible ways, but you'll have to try em both out to make sure they work/sound ok. I used to have the 2120 and know how powerful and cool sounding the effects are, especially the cool stereo effects, but I never had a 5150.

1. Plug from your guitar into the Digitech input, then from there into the Effects return of the 5150. This should bypass the preamp of the 5150, just using the poweramp section. The preamp distortion/effects will come from the 2120.

OR

2. Plug from your guitar into the 5150 input, and use the 5150's effects send and return into the input and output of the 2120, respectively. I don't know if you can bypass the preamp section of the 2120, but try it if you can. If not, then you'll be using preamps from both parts, then try using the cleanest/quietest preamp setting of the 2120, and use the 5150's distortion.

If you have more than one cab, you could use the 1st method above and send the other output from the 2120 into the Crate poweramp into another cab for stereo effects!
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II
          I can think of 2 possible ways, but you'll have to try em both out to make sure they work/sound ok. I used to have the 2120 and know how powerful and cool sounding the effects are, especially the cool stereo effects, but I never had a 5150.

1. Plug from your guitar into the Digitech input, then from there into the Effects return of the 5150. This should bypass the preamp of the 5150, just using the poweramp section. The preamp distortion/effects will come from the 2120.

OR

2. Plug from your guitar into the 5150 input, and use the 5150's effects send and return into the input and output of the 2120, respectively. I don't know if you can bypass the preamp section of the 2120, but try it if you can. If not, then you'll be using preamps from both parts, then try using the cleanest/quietest preamp setting of the 2120, and use the 5150's distortion.

If you have more than one cab, you could use the 1st method above and send the other output from the 2120 into the Crate poweramp into another cab for stereo effects!
          i tried the second idea, BEST TONE EVER!!!!

I basically have a more versatile 5150 right now, and its great.

Comment

Originally posted by guitar08man
            i tried the second idea, BEST TONE EVER!!!!

I basically have a more versatile 5150 right now, and its great.
            Glad to hear it! Incidentally, did you try the 1st method? I was just wondering if the 1st way actually works!
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II
              Glad to hear it! Incidentally, did you try the 1st method? I was just wondering if the 1st way actually works!
              nah, i was lookin to use the 5150 as the main sound, and i use the 2120 to like dress it up a bit.

Comment

Working...
              X