Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always turn to 10?

Hey guys,
    Quick question: is the best tone always achieved when a tube amp is maxed out? As compared to have the volume on say, 7-9, or something, rather than just slamming it to 10.

Cheers,
    Nick

depends on the sound you want.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Definitely a matter of opinion. Personally, I think many fully dimed tube power sections sound a bit fartier than they do at 75-80%. I like my '69 Superlead not more than 80% or so, my Boogie Road King sounds best about 90% up in 50 or 100 watt mode. The only amp I have that I totally crank is my Dr Z. Carmen Ghia, which holds up pretty well.

How hot your pickups & signal (drive pedals / boosts) are will impact all of that, too.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I've noticed...I have a triaxis and 50/50. The triaxis manual suggests no more than 7 on the volume, and the power section always sounded kind of out-of-control at 10. I backed it down to 7 or 8, and it seemed to have that same buttery tone without the sense that all that hum was going to explode the unit.

Cheers,
        Nick

Comment

My Uber's gain is ALWAYS on ten..ask John..it's sound best for me that way..

I can't even back it off a hair..it instantly loses some coolness when I do that..

My Uber is the only "Flubless " head I have ever owned..for a high gain amp..

you can't make it flub..bass and gain all the way up..very saturated but still tight , focused and usuable..

Most folks will say you can't max the gain on a Uber..but I'm saying I need it maxed..it's perfect right there.

Now a 5150 , Rectos , Mesa MrkIII and all the other heads I had all Flubbed when pushed passed their comphy thresholds..but not the Uber..

The gain is perfect for me at ten..and John liked it too..and he was playing authentic sounding Yngwie runs..with that clean, crisp timbre..I love it!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

We're not talking about preamp gain, Bill, we're talking about the volume

Comment

On alot of amps, I've noticed they tend to feedback on 10, so I'll kick it down a little bit down from that If I need full power.

8-9 should be pretty good, and it SHOULD be loud enough. If not, you've got some major hearing loss.

Comment

damn it...I was going to put a laughing smiley...and all the graemlin selections seem to have escaped me. *sighs*

Cheers,
                Nick

Edit: Aha! Found it...
                Last edited by Misanthrope189; 05-11-2006, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed
                  We're not talking about preamp gain, Bill, we're talking about the volume
                  Oh..OK...my bad..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

But, at least you gave us some info on the Ubershall...sorta

Comment

Where do you guys have these amps that you can turn the master volume that high? When I got my Marshall JCM800 hooked up to the Soldano cab, the most I can stand is 3! Anything above that and I bet cops come.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well you see, Ron...I used to run the preamp master low, and crank the tubes, which would allow me to get to around 7 and when no one is home, no problem. I'm in the basement of my house...my guitar can be heard outside, but only quietly. I'm planning on getting an attentuator so I can crank it all up and keep the volume low; I also have a lot more space in this basement; I used to play in a tiny room, and couldn't get the master past 2 before the sound coming back at me off the walls was enough to keep my ears going. Now this basement has some cool reverb going...but yeah, a regular head I couldn't turn it up much past 2...get an attentuator!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                          Where do you guys have these amps that you can turn the master volume that high? When I got my Marshall JCM800 hooked up to the Soldano cab, the most I can stand is 3! Anything above that and I bet cops come.
                          You probably will not believe, but the amps and guitars were originally invented for the practicing musicans to use in the studio and onstage
                          Last edited by Carbophos; 05-11-2006, 05:42 AM.
                          Because I don't say it
                          Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

On subject - power amp adds a lot to the tone. Though setting volume on 10 may not be necessary. Basically that's why we have say 50-watters and 100-watters - to have a choice of proper balance between volume and power tubes saturation.

As for the flubbiness - cab construction and the speakers matter a lot as well.
                            Because I don't say it
                            Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

I be live a lot actually...
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X