Marshall/DSL401?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall/DSL401?

Does anyone here have any experience with one of these. I am looking for a new tube combo amp and I found one of these for a good price.

I have heard the tone is good, but they run hot and can break down because of it. I don`t know if they have a fan or not? I loved the tone of the TSL60 combo I played thru!! Jack.

Comment

Slayer is right the early ones overheated, but I believe they fixed that in the later ones.
      I used to have a DSL201, and with an EQ in the loop it sounded pretty great for a little 20 watt combo.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I used to have one (I think I bought it around 2002), and yes, it ran *very* hot - so hot you could barely touch the control panel after a while. I sure hope they fixed it: four board-mounted power tubes in an amp that ran that hot sure seemed like a breakdown waiting to happen. I did like the amp, though...wish I didn't have to sell it!

Comment

I had a DSL201 and also thought it sounded pretty good. The stock speaker needed to be changed and that made a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by owlhead
            I had a DSL201 and also thought it sounded pretty good. The stock speaker needed to be changed and that made a big difference.
            Oh ya I forgot about that, I threw a green back into mine as well. You're right the stock speaker kind of sucked, the grenback made a huge difference.
            If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I have an older dsl-401, sounds great but I had to have some cold solder points re-soldered, my cousin fixed it and said the heat probably contributed, started running a cheap "desk" fan behind it and it's ran well for the past year. Without the fan it gets very hot.

Comment

All these little "fixes" should tell you about recent Marshall build quality.

Advise a better amp.
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I hated mine. Lifeless unless you plug it into a closed back cab. I'm not really a fan of the DSL anyway though. Had the DSL 50 watt head also, which was better, but not enough to keep.

Comment

I like mine. It ran hot, but I've never had a problem. I bought it new in 2001 and still have it. This was my first tube amp and it sounded great compared to the SS Crate that I was using. I like the tone, but was always curious about swapping out for a different Celestion. With the 40 watts, you can really push the EL84s without losing your hearing.

Comment

Working...
                    X