Valvetronix chromes: new amp models?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvetronix chromes: new amp models?

I want to get a Vox Valvetronix modeler for practice, but I'm a bit uncertain about which one to get. Here's why:

Originally, Vox offered the Valvetronix AD60VT, AD120VT and AD120VTH. They then updated the combos to the AD60VTX and AD120VTX, with Celestion Neo-Dog speakers being the only change that I'm aware of. In addition, they released the ToneLab and the ToneLab SE. I believe that all of the above products offer the same 16 amp models.

Recently, Vox released some additional, cheaper Valvetronix products, (with chrome fascias), which offer fewer (11) amp models. Some of these appear to be DIFFERENT amp models, as they have different names, but they could just be some of the old ones, renamed (I could see them possibly doing this, because they also removed the ability to choose cabs, so I could see them giving the new amp/cab combinations new names).

The reason this is important to me is:
    1.) I like the features on the older models (especially the ToneLab SE); BUT
    2.) I like high gain sounds, like the following demo clips for the new (chrome) ADVT100H: http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAD100VTH(CHECK OUT EVIL NU METAL, LYNCH LIVES & UK 80s VH). I haven't found these clips anywhere else, not even in Zzounds' demo clips for the other new "chrome" amps, but I assume that all of the chromes share the same sounds.

The old Valvetronix amps, while praised for an "organic" feel/sound, have sometimes been criticized for their ability to render high gain sounds, but the clips above have plenty of gain for me.

In conclusion, if I can confirm that the older VT-series modelers can get all of the new sounds, I will likely get an older model, as they are more full-featured. If not, I'll probably get a newer model.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out on this. I've already checked the Vox FAQ and downloaded PDFs of the various owner's manuals from Vox's web site and emailed Vox Support about this, and if I learn anything significant, I'll post it here.

Well, I don't think they have added any new models per-se.

That Lynch sample sounds like it was done with the SLO model, the VH with the JCM800 and the Evil Nu Metal sounds like they used the Recto model. I have a Tonelab desktop and I don't know what the hell people are talking about with these things not being able to cop high gain tones. The SLO and Recto models SCREAM. Plenty of gain on top, more than enough. The Marshalls are a little more hit or miss, but you can get some really tasty sounds out of the JTM45 model and the Plexi model. With those I can dial up everything from Van Halen to Eric Johnson....

I keep trying to convinve myself that I need to drop $1500 on a new amp..but when I plug into my Tonelab and play it...and compare it to clips of big buck amps on the net, I can't get past how great it sounds......

Mike
    Sleep. The sound doesn't collapse to riffs of early eyes either.

Comment

Seems the newer ones are cheaper - kinda like a Flextone vs. Vetta. I might be wrong here though, as I've only glanced at them at GC.

With that said, I'd probably demo them head to head rather than believing clips you hear online. It's the only way to really know.

Comment

Yeah, you're right, the newer ones are cheaper. I am really glad to hear that these are probably not new models, because I really want to get a ToneLab SE. I just don't want to miss out on higher gain models, since that's where I spend most of my playing time.
        Thanks for your responses!

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver
          Yeah, you're right, the newer ones are cheaper. I am really glad to hear that these are probably not new models, because I really want to get a ToneLab SE. I just don't want to miss out on higher gain models, since that's where I spend most of my playing time.
          Thanks for your responses!
          Keep in mind that one of the great things about the Tonelabs is the fact that they come with internal pedal and boost models and will also take outside pedals really well. You can get as much gain as you would like......

Mike

Comment

Thanks again! You're right about the models, too.

I just received an email response from Vox, confirming that the 11 models of the Chrome series are drawn from the 16 already available in the 60/120 series. Good to know, and I think that was pretty cool to get such a quick reply from Vox!

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver
              Thanks again! You're right about the models, too.

I just received an email response from Vox, confirming that the 11 models of the Chrome series are drawn from the 16 already available in the 60/120 series. Good to know, and I think that was pretty cool to get such a quick reply from Vox!
              Kick ass....rock on!

I find that the coolest toy on the amp is the Treble Booster pedal model. You would think these would be like adding an icepick to the ear...but nope, it adds a really nice harmonic smoothness to the amp...I use it on everything, even the high gain stuff. I am also going to buy an outboard Treble Booster, Scott's Crispy Cream, as those are really awesome....

Let me know how you like the amp if you get it.

Mike

Comment

I will, Mike!

I went to a music store today and spent some "quality time" with a couple of Vox combos: an AD50VT (Chrome series), and then an AD60VTX (Cloth grille). If the 60 had been stereo (the 120 and the ToneLabs are stereo), I would have bought it.

The 50 was cool, but I found it very limiting, as you can only choose certain effects combinations, etc. The 60, on the other hand, was wonderful. I find it to be a very sweet, musical, forgiving amp. The gain structure, first of all, is very organic and kind of loose. The effects, too, tend to the vintage side of things, and sweeten the sound even more. With some high gain amps on tap + stomp boxes, there is more than enough gain for anything I would want to do. I believe the reason it is not considered "metal" is because it does not have much of an edge to it (at least I couldn't get an edgy sound). It is just sweet, sweet, sweet. However, for me the ultimate is the EVH brown sound, and that, too, has a real musical quality to it, without a lot of edge or harshness.

I have now narrowed my choices down to:

1. Valvetronix AD120VTH; or
                2. ToneLab SE

It is much more likely that I will get the ToneLab SE, as it is cheaper than the 120, and I already have amplification to plug it into. The only reason I have any hesitation at all is, I haven't been able to actually play a ToneLab SE. I'll post more after I know more.

Comment

If you are interested, I can send you links to Vox editor files that already setup...you can directly download via MIDI into the ToneLab SE, or you can view the virtual settings and program them in.

I can also share some of my settings with you. I have been able to get a pretty damn close Eddie tone (also my favorite distortion sound ever) running the Plexi model and the treble booster...I have been honing this tone for months now, literally. I also have been able to get a pretty damn close approximation of the Sykes '87 Whitesnake tone with the Recto model and the Treble Booster model (can you tell that I like the treble booster?). I would be glad to share any "secrets" I have been able to glean up to this point.

I say go for it, they are really amazing little gadgets and you can find so many tones in them it is just unreal.

Mike

Comment

I think the 60/120VTX combos are killer. I perfer them over the newer Chrome models as I demo'd the 100 right next to the 120. Sound for sound the 120 sounded better. Everything did.

I owned the AD120VTX combo and I could get any heavy metal tone I wanted with alittle work on a setup. If you get one make sure you get the pedal board right away, The amp is harder to use without it. The VC-4 is nice but the VC-12 is the way to go.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X