Can someone give me a Mesa education???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm
    In regards to the triaxis, I was referring to it using opamps. Not quite sure they're the same as transistors. (Limited technical knowledge here)
    In Triaxis opamps are used ONLY in emulated output and dynamic voicing section. Dymanic voicing is basically an EQ circut with pre-set curves (from flat to deep V) which is mixed with main signal. With Dinamic Voicing set at 0 you get straight tube signal. More DV value - more level of a mix and a the deeper is V.

ALL the drive/distortion in Triaxis goes from tubes ONLY.
    Because I don't say it
    Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

I have 2 Triaxis preamps and a Simul 2:90 power amp with 2 recto 2X12 cabinets. This set up gives me any sound I want. You can't get a true marshall sound with a poweramp that uses 6L6 tubes but this amp can sparkle, give me the blues or roar like a beast. The only negative to this is that it weighs a ton and it uses 16 tubes. The Triaxis uses 5 12 ax7 tubes and this is where it gets its distortion from.
      Screamin

Comment

Check out the F-series amps. I had an F-30 combo for a couple years and loved it. I may buy the head version eventually.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got a Mark IIC, not the plus though. You may be better off buying a IIC and having it modded to a C+.

Comment

I'm not a Boogie expert by any means (I only owned a DC-5 for about year and a half), but I think the Stiletto might be a Mesa amp to check out. The Stiletto is an EL-34 amp, so that might put it more into the Marshall territory that you like. "Guitar Player" and some of the other mags have reviewed it, in addition to what you might find on H-C.

Here's one review that I found online from a British guitar mag: Guitarist review
            Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Twisteramps
              A mesa Dual rectifier is a great amp - heck, I have another rackmount recto in layaway! But a Dual rectifier isn't going to get you the Mark series tones. The Mark series are basically hotrodded fenders (the first Boogies were modded Fender princetons!) and the DR's are more like a modded Marshall. Two different beasts indeed. One shortcoming of the Mark III is that you can't get three useful tones out of one at once - they share too many controls. If you need three in the same amp, get a Mark IV. The Quad is a great preamp, I owned one for awhile - but you're going to be highly dependent on your power amp for the tones with it. If you really want the 'boogie' sound, you'll need to get a boogie 50/50 or bigger with it. Not sure how the 20/20 would sound with the Quad, I do know that many pros used the 50/50 with the Quad and also the 2:90 (or was it 2:95)? Whichever one was out at the same time.

Pete
              The rec's are great amps and you can get a marshall tone, not to mention they are built like tanks, and if you get the 3 channel you have 3 seperate channels with there own controls and so many different voicing options.

There are little secrets to the rec, first if you are going for a marshall tone make sure to get the boogie traditional cab. The oversized cuts the mid's to much where the traditional has more mid's and more punch like a marshall cab.

Also dont max out the gain, right in the middle and use a boost pedal, you get plenty of gain, plus it tightens it up. Also dont cut the mid's, right in the middle or higher, mesa's are naturaly mid cut already, so there is no need to cut them anymore.

You can also put EL34's in, however i have found no real use for this as i can get close enough with 6l6's.

I have also heard mesa is shipping with better tubes now, so that is a plus, but if you buy a used one, make sure to change the tubes out, talk to like eurotubes or some other place and explain to them you have a recto so they can give you tubes that work well with the cold bias.

Comment

Working...
              X