5150 Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5150 Cab

Came across a pretty good deal on a 5150 cab. Anyone have experience with these in terms of flexibility? Do they work well with a number of heads or are the just particularly suited to the 5150? Looking to put a half stack together without breaking the bank. Tonewise, into that late 70s to mid 80s hard rock metal tone.

If you have a 5150 or plan on getting one, buy it. Otherwise, they aren't all that amazing.

With the 5150, they REALLY do shine well and make that amp sound VERY good. I like that cab with a 5150 better than any marshall, Mesa or Ampeg/celestion cabs I've used. They take more chug/resonance, more distortion and stay clean and no flub.

Comment

Resurrecting this thread for a related question:

I have a 5150 head I'm going to order an Avatar 2X12 cab to compliment my 2X12 with vintage 30's to make a half stack. I don't want to get the same speakers again and I want a set that will shine on its own, too. I was thinking about Eminence swamp things because I hear good things about them. I'm also thinking about one swamp thing and one tonker, or legend V12's. Does anyone have any personal experience with a good pair of speakers for the 5150?

I play heavy thrash/death/prog with clean jazz. I also play adult contemporary for another artist so the speakers need to have a good clean sound, too.
      Last edited by cheezeslam; 06-30-2006, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I've got an Avatar 2X12 with the Hellatone V30's in it and they sound pretty freaking good. I have a marshall 4 X12 with greenbacks in it and I am always going back and forth won which cab I like better, when I run them together it sounds amazing.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal
          If you have a 5150 or plan on getting one, buy it. Otherwise, they aren't all that amazing.

With the 5150, they REALLY do shine well and make that amp sound VERY good. I like that cab with a 5150 better than any marshall, Mesa or Ampeg/celestion cabs I've used. They take more chug/resonance, more distortion and stay clean and no flub.
          +1000

John and I were actually together when demoing this discovery..it was a no brainer when you A/B the cabs right next to each other..

I always "got by" with a Marshall 1960 cab..you can get by too..but the matching cab does sound much better to our ears.

Now that I know this, I personally would NEVER use any other combination of celestion w/ the 5150..but that's MY conviction...
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

But my problem is I can't lug around a 4x12. Are there any speakers that are close to the Sheffields or should I order custom empty cabinet and order the speakers separately?

Comment

hmmm..I think they make a 2-12" cab for the 5150..I think they were made as an extension cab for the 2-12" combo..

if my memory serves me correctly.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've been playing a 5150a 4X12 for 10 years. If you play loud and make the cab chug it will fall begin to fart itself apart. After you seal the back panel with weather stripping and 3" deck screws in the center, it's ready to rumble. Except by then your casters are worn out and it swerves or does circles when you push it... Construction gets a D- but sound gets a B+(after you reinforce it).

I also play through a 90's 1960a that I keep on the other side of the stage because it's a wuss. My VHT 2902 will make the Marshall shit itself before the 5150 gives in. But the Marshall does roll really really well I recently played live through my bass player's Mesa Recto oversize cab and it sounded closest to my old 5150 and also rolled straight. But it was too nice to start gigging with it.

Comment

Working...
                X