Tried Everything-Buying Vetta II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried Everything-Buying Vetta II

I did something I rarely do yesterday (and this morning), I visited music stores and tried out some amps. After trying a Mesa Dual Rectifier (great chug) and a Stilletto (sounded like a hot rodded Marshall to me-but the salesman told me it sucked?), a Peavey 6505, a Tech 21 head (head version of the Trademark 60-or at least close to it), a Peavey JSX, a Peavey XXX, Marshall DSL and TSL heads and combos, and a used Carvin MTS (highly impressive for the buck-especially used), I am going to buy a Vetta II.

Honestly, the Vetta must be the biggest jump in modeling technology since the stuff came out. I was blown away after I played with it/tweaked it in the store for a little while. I have a Podxt, and have been fairly pleased with it for what it is, but the Vetta is in another class by itself. I killed the effects and just pulled up the amp models with the pre assinged cabinets and the sounds were very good. Touch sensitivity was there and I couldn't hear any digital artifacts (after I play with one a while I might start to notice if they are there, but I couldn't hear any in the store).

The two amps at once-especially on clean sounds is incredible. Putting a Vox and a Fender together yields some great, rich tones.

I went to buy it on the spot, but the store insisted on full retail price, saying that Line 6 requires them to sell it for that price (BS-Line 6 does have a MAP policy, but MAP ain't retail), so I told them I wan't shelling out over two bills for the amp and left.

A friend that went shopping with me admitted that it was an incredible sounding amp, but tried to keep me from getting one since it would only drop in price etc. I can understand his point, but if I divided the price by the hours I will use this thing, then it is a friggin bargain. I also have a Variax, so that is an added bonus with getting this amp.

Anyway, props to jgcable for his posts about the Vetta, as I would have overlooked this amp.

Congrats!! Are you going head or combo? I have the combo and love it. I would like to compare it to a halfstack with the same settings to see if there is a difference though.

Comment

They are selling them online for 1600-1700. On EBAY, a new one was going for 1,400 last week.

Myself, I ponied up a lot of money because I didn't want the hassle and I bought a one month old Vetta II with FBV for 1400 from a student in Ohio. It arrived today, I blew out an eardrum messing around with Synth FX (I mistakenly turned a knob while the stompbox was on and nearly demolished my house from the foundation up). Anyway, it was clear that the kid has barely touched it.

When I saw that the FBVs were going for 300, I decided to just pay up. What's the point of fighting for a 900 amp when you're just going to shell out another 300 (+ shipping) anyway.

Comment

That is a nice list of amps you tried out. The fact that you want the Vetta over all those other amps is impressive.
        Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I am probably going with the head (I have a couple of stereo cabs as well as some of the old ADA 2x12 cabinets).

The Vetta is an impressive machine. I was watching the Rock in Rio concert and noticed that Ron Thal (newest guitarist with Guns and Roses) was using a Vetta combo. He was getting a great tone for that style of playing out of it.

The two amps at once and the responsiveness of it nailed it for me. I'm not much of an effects user (touch of delay and/or compression), so the effects are just icing on the cake.

Comment

I have actually been thinking about selling my PODXTPro setup and getting a Vetta II head. They sound pretty spiffy.

-Nate
            Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

You didn't say where you got it from then....

So, what, you went back to the store and paid full pop?
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Buy a Vetta I, update the software to 2.5, you'll save a ton of $. I was one of the few who had a Vetta here a few years back, glad to see people are respecting it now. It was kinda lonely here for awhile.

Pete

Comment

Go with a Vetta 1 and upgrade to version 2.5.
                  Get the longboard too.
                  Use your stereo cabinets.
                  Prepare for compliments from everyone who hears you.
                  Imagine how good the Vetta sounds in the hands of somebody who knows it inside out. The Line 6 edit is awesome too.
                  I love my Vetta. Its the best amp I ever owned.

Comment

Aw, you guys are gonna get me all Vetta-crazy again, when I had finally decided to get a ToneLab SE!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                      Go with a Vetta 1 and upgrade to version 2.5.
                      Get the longboard too.
                      jg, what is the longboard?

I don't know jack about these amps, but what you're saying sounds mighty interestin!
                      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

forget it, I figured it out, long pedal board.
                        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

The FBV Line 6 Longboard. Its the biggest board they make. Its the one with 2 pedals on it. Tons of features.

Comment

I ended up making a drive to the evil empire that is GC and bought a head there this afternoon. I'll be buying the longboard once I unload my Podxt and shortboard.

Comment

GC here in Toledo FINALLY called me yesterday to tell me my Vetta II head had arrived.

I got really lucky in that one of the default Line 6 amp models (after briefly messing with all the big named ones, just gettin the vibe for what's what) sounded like a wall of Marshall amps just cranking the sweetest, tightest heaviest sounds out without nary a tweak to the channel.

I was hoping when I turned this baby on, it would say version 2.5... but alas after work today, I'll pick the m audio uno interface up, and get it updated. How much better could it sound I ask?

Vetta heaven, I have arrived.
                              Last edited by tseegert; 06-02-2006, 06:15 AM.
                              www.myspace.com/madeaband
                              www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Working...
                              X