Which 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fragle
    ok, semi thread resurrection here - i don't want to start a new thread, and yes, i've used the search function, but it didn't return anything usable.

i was wondering if anybody how owns/used to own both a 5150 as well as a 5150 II could post a comparison of those two amps? i've been told that the 5150II lead and rhythm channels have less gain, with especially the rhythm channel set to crunch having far less gain than the original 5150 crunch channel. is that true?
    also, i've heared horror stories about 5150II being unreliable as fuck in comparison to the 5150...the 5150 is a workhorse, of course... (no pun intended ) any truth to that?

the thing is, i *really* love the sound of my 5150 I block letter head, it is crushing and suits me like a glove. however, i also love my framus for it has 2 independent gain channels, rhythm/lead respectively...the framus is a great amp too, i just think i happen to prefer the 5150 voicing....the 5150 II looks like it has the 5150 sound with the versatility of the cobra (or any other 2 gain channel amp for that matter).

btw, yes, i know the jerryP comparison site
    +1 I wouldn`t want to lose that awsome gain of the 5150 getting the II version, but like you, think the separate channels and EQ are better. Jack.

Comment

if my 5150 block letter combo had seperate EQ's for each channel I would'nt even think about any other amps.
      I haven't owned both but I've played both and I like the overall tone of the originals much better. the II sounded thinner to me.
      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

"if my 5150 block letter combo had seperate EQ's for each channel I would'nt even think about any other amps"
        my thoughts exactly.
        the thing is, i'd surely get away with less lead channel gain - i always use a slight boost in front of my amps, even with the cobra, plus i never have the 5150 lead channel gain past 11:00, so there's a lot more gain on tap even on the 5150 II.
        however, i'm mainly concerned about the crunch channel, which is my main metal rhythm sound. on the 5150, i have the crunch gain around noon to 1:30 max (i'm a pretty low gain player by nature). the thing is, IIRC the 5150 has 6 gain stages for the rhythm channel, whereas the 5150 II only has 3 - therefore it has the better clean sound.

Comment

As for the gain difference between the I and II, it's minor. The II has more gain than you will ever need. I run my Pre between 5 and 6 and that's playing all out metal. The II is a little brighter and the rhythm channel is a little less aggressive. The both sound killer but the II is more versatile.

Comment

I have all 3
            Signature 5150, block letter 5150 and a 5150II

There is very little difference between them. The 5150II is more versatile. It has a little less gain on the crunch channel but still plenty for any type of metal. I never have the gain above 6 on my 5150 lead channel. On the 5150II to get the same amount of gain it needs to be on 7.
            None of the amps have ever had any issues.

Comment

does anyone know what years the 5150 block letter amps were made?

Comment

I think the block letter EVH's are the 1st 2 years only.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                  I think the block letter EVH's are the 1st 2 years only.
                  Hey John , what up broham..I think it was more around 4 years ..

I had both..five stock heads ..they sounded all the same..

hmm..except for one, the very first one I bought..it had stock Sylvania's in it like the rest of them..I dunno...it was my favorite one for some reason..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666
                    Hey John , what up broham..I think it was more around 4 years ..

I had both..five stock heads ..they sounded all the same..

hmm..except for one, the very first one I bought..it had stock Sylvania's in it like the rest of them..I dunno...it was my favorite one for some reason..
                    \

What up Bill. My favorite 5150 was a signature model that I had around a year ago that was bone stock. My block letter 5150 just had $350.00 worth of work done to it. It sounds REALLY good. I want to sell it but I am asking alot for it. I think its worth it and if it doesn't sell for what I am asking I'll just keep it. No sweat on that.

Comment

"I have all 3
                      There is very little difference between them. The 5150II is more versatile. It has a little less gain on the crunch channel but still plenty for any type of metal. I never have the gain above 6 on my 5150 lead channel. On the 5150II to get the same amount of gain it needs to be on 7.
                      None of the amps have ever had any issues."

well, as i said, i bet the lead channel won't give me any trouble gain wise, i'm more about the crunch channel....i don't care for clean, but i need the aggression and vibe of the 5150I crunch channel boosted (to tame some of the lo mids mainly)...judging by your post i'd probably be fine with the 5150II crunch channel gain...as said above, i run the gain around 1:00 with a boost

Comment

Originally posted by Fragle
                        "I have all 3
                        None of the amps have ever had any issues."

well, as i said, i bet the lead channel won't give me any trouble gain wise, i'm more about the crunch channel....i don't care for clean, but i need the aggression and vibe of the 5150I crunch channel boosted (to tame some of the lo mids mainly)...judging by your post i'd probably be fine with the 5150II crunch channel gain...as said above, i run the gain around 1:00 with a boost
                        The 5150II sounds like a good fit for you.

Comment

my 5150 II has PLENTY of gain on the crunch channel

sounds best with the gain around 3 and the volume on 4 or above, sounds like a REAL amp then!

Comment

Working...
                          X